Why oh why can't catchers do their job... like you know. Catch?

Mudisfun
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3232 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

McDavid's hex pad tights...

I rather get bruised up than use them Hex Pads.

They're not different than the compression shorts I'm already wearing. I had a pair and loved them....then accidentally left them at a game site :(

This thread reminded me to get another pair :)....not many left, get them here while you can:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2848TK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00O2848TK&linkCode=as2&tag=hubpages05ec-20&linkId=3T4ZLRW3234ROSRT

I agree with @JaxRolo, those integrated thigh pads are (more like, were) only really useful for football. But, wear 'em if you feel you need to. Nike, and I _believe_ UnderArmour both make these too.

That thing is fifty shades of fun, @Mudisfun. Yeow.

Zoiks!!

Let me guess ......... deflection, and an F2 who flinched?

We have a winner.

Was just a great sound of meat getting slapped.

LOL!!

Yep!! Inside pitches where F2 reaches in, I just "prepare myself for pain" :no:

Zoiks!!

We have a winner.

Let me guess, nobody said a word. It's always when you get hit where you have equipment that everyone gasps. Yet when you take a shot where you're not protected, there's no sound so nobody says anything while you're wincing in pain.

Murphy's Umpire Law #6:  You can wear hundreds of dollars worth of protective gear and you'll still get hit on a ten cent application of sun screen. 

I agree with @JaxRolo, those integrated thigh pads are (more like, were) only really useful for football. But, wear 'em if you feel you need to. Nike, and I _believe_ UnderArmour both make these too.

I disagree @MadMax.  I took an almost direct hit in left inner thigh on Saturday, JUCO game.  F2 barely touched the ball across top of his mitt webbing.  Direct to the leg. NO "meat slap" sound.  No mark.  No bruise the next day like our poor man @Mudisfun.  Those things work.  Hot but they do the job for me.  I am a big fan.  But I need another pair in medium.  Anyone know where they might be available?  Short or long length?

Zoiks!!

We have a winner.

Let me guess, nobody said a word. It's always when you get hit where you have equipment that everyone gasps. Yet when you take a shot where you're not protected, there's no sound so nobody says anything while you're wincing in pain.

Exactly. The tipped ball that crushed my shoulder protection lots of OHH's and AHH's... slap to the fresh meat? Just a sincere sorry from the catcher who knew he missed it and I got hit.

I disagree @MadMax.  I took an almost direct hit in left inner thigh on Saturday, JUCO game.  F2 barely touched the ball across top of his mitt webbing.  Direct to the leg. NO "meat slap" sound.  No mark.  No bruise the next day like our poor man @Mudisfun.  Those things work.  Hot but they do the job for me.  I am a big fan.  But I need another pair in medium.  Anyone know where they might be available?  Short or long length?

Just saw this on eBAY... in Medium

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McDavid-Classic-Logo-7540U-CL-Hexpad-Umpire-Shorts-With-Cup-Pocket-Gray-Medium-/161463957968?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25980079d0

I agree with @JaxRolo, those integrated thigh pads are (more like, were) only really useful for football. But, wear 'em if you feel you need to. Nike, and I _believe_ UnderArmour both make these too.

I disagree @MadMax. I took an almost direct hit in left inner thigh on Saturday, JUCO game. F2 barely touched the ball across top of his mitt webbing. Direct to the leg. NO "meat slap" sound. No mark. No bruise the next day like our poor man @Mudisfun. Those things work. Hot but they do the job for me. I am a big fan. But I need another pair in medium. Anyone know where they might be available? Short or long length?

I have a pair but they are just to hot. I may take one on the thigh once or twice a year. Rather take the shot. And suffer a little pain than be in hot discomfort all year.

But I know you guys from your area are kinda delicate. So you need the protection.

:wave:

• Like 2

Yea Rolo, but I like to wear shorts in good weather and be able to walk normally after a game.  I get hit there more than I would like.  Just like in the mask and the cup and the bare arms.  I guess I get hit about 40-50  times a year.  And since I normally work high school and above it hurts a helluva lot more when I do.  I have never turned back a game for injury or begged off the plate due to injury.  Knock on wood.  As someone else said, the ball always finds the places you aren't wearing a pad it seems.  

And as I have said about others but after thinking about it a bit, I would too: if they made an air-conditioned stormtrooper suit , a la Star Wars, for umpires I would probably buy it and wear it.  And look damn cool doing so.  Just sayin'!

Unequal does make some flexible padding.  Videos of snowboarders, football players, pro catchers, etc. on Youtube.  Might check them out.  Not sure if lighter in weight but definitely thinner than the hexpad stuff.

Yea Rolo, but I like to wear shorts in good weather and be able to walk normally after a game.  I get hit there more than I would like.  Just like in the mask and the cup and the bare arms.  I guess I get hit about 40-50  times a year.  And since I normally work high school and above it hurts a helluva lot more when I do.  I have never turned back a game for injury or begged off the plate due to injury.  Knock on wood.  As someone else said, the ball always finds the places you aren't wearing a pad it seems.  

And as I have said about others but after thinking about it a bit, I would too: if they made an air-conditioned stormtrooper suit , a la Star Wars, for umpires I would probably buy it and wear it.  And look damn cool doing so.  Just sayin'!

Yeah, @Majordave, but the films proved it. Stormtroopers can't hit anything, and everything hits them!

Yea, but they look so freakin cool.  I don't have to hit anything and with the suit it wouldn't matter if they hit me.  Anyone else think a Stormtrooper/RoboCop like suit would be the coolest thing?  The more I think of it, the more I like it.

• Like 1

You may consider calling games from behind the mound...

...then again you would probably get hit with line drives!

I ride that slot hard Rolo.  

Me and the Catcher get up close and personal and I lock in.  

Some of them want my address to send me cards and flowers afterwards.  

If you want to see the pitch you have to get in the danger zone.  I believe getting hit is a natural by-product of the number of plates I work in a season.  Most catchers try to block or catch but some just can't.

• Like 1

And if you have the same luck I had when I caught and now umpire the ball will find the same spot for the rest of the season just saying. Would prefer Darth Vader then I could use the force to move the ball then pick the catcher up, turn him upside down and shake the change out of his pocket, although I prefer Han Solo as he scores the princess.