Ebay finds

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1947 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:15 AM, wolfe_man said:

Back in the day, I was ALL +POS.  I had the +POS BB2000 CP and those shin guards........the shin guards are great and are still being used today by a friend of mine. The BB2000 with its resemblance to Samurai Warrior Armor was tops in protection!..........But Oh, what a furnace that thing was...............no breathability at all.....I was happy to move on.

I never got the attraction to the Resin Mask, it was lighter, but I never liked the view. Then of course after some incidents with the first release editions, they have been relegated to collectors.........haven't seen one used in years.  

1 hour ago, blue32 said:

Any guess on how old this mask is?    What are those weird looking screws underneath the chin area?

7 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Any guess on how old this mask is?    What are those weird looking screws underneath the chin area?

have no idea, I was just poking around on ebay last night to see what was out there, and ran across these listings, so I figured I'd post them since there are a lot of F3 users, and wish to be users on the board. I thought it looked kind of funny too, like there was electrical tape underneath the bracket on the bottom? He's claiming it to be a V2, but not being an owner of the equipment, I can't be too sure what's what here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue32 said:

have no idea, I was just poking around on ebay last night to see what was out there, and ran across these listings, so I figured I'd post them since there are a lot of F3 users, and wish to be users on the board. I thought it looked kind of funny too, like there was electrical tape underneath the bracket on the bottom? He's claiming it to be a V2, but not being an owner of the equipment, I can't be too sure what's what here. 

It is a V2... you can tell by the position of the springs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSam21 said:

It is a V2... you can tell by the position of the springs

Speaking of, I've always had a difficult time warming up to this mask. Especially the silver. I'm sure they are fine, but the brackets with the screws and the springs just look too cheap to me, like they were put together with low quality sheet metal and the kind of screws that come in the little baggie at the local hardware store. Doesn't give me warm and fuzzies that it will stay together after a couple of shots. It has too much of a "prototype" look to it. Maybe if they were able to cover the brackets somehow so the screws aren't so exposed, that would be a lot better.

4 minutes ago, blue32 said:

Speaking of, I've always had a difficult time warming up to this mask. Especially the silver. I'm sure they are fine, but the brackets with the screws and the springs just look too cheap to me, like they were put together with low quality sheet metal and the kind of screws that come in the little baggie at the local hardware store. Doesn't give me warm and fuzzies that it will stay together after a couple of shots. It has too much of a "prototype" look to it. Maybe if they were able to cover the brackets somehow so the screws aren't so exposed, that would be a lot better.

I think they do it that way so it is easier to maintain for you and reduce weight on an already heavy mask

8 hours ago, blue32 said:

I say this kindly and civilly, but your impression could not be further from the truth. The brackets are not "low quality sheet metal", and the screws are all european industrial-machine grade, set in with the permanent-bond Loctite. I know. I tried to take one of these apart, and had to abandon that effort!

The brackets are so tough, that on the HSM, when it took a 90+ foul-off, the cage caved in (the user was just fine) and the springs locked up (unable to depress any more). The mask sat in my colleague's house for 4 months until I undertook fixing it, so with some effort, I unscrewed the cage from the spring brackets (these three screws are not held by Loctite). As soon as I loosened the final screw, the entire shell snapped back to its normal shape and the spring assemblies resumed their normal travel – all that energy was still trapped in the cage, 4 months later. The brackets hadn't deformed at all.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 8:17 AM, Stan W. said:

I never got the attraction to the Resin Mask, it was lighter, but I never liked the view. Then of course after some incidents with the first release editions, they have been relegated to collectors.........haven't seen one used in years.  

Saw a guy with one at a weekend Wendelstedt clinic back in February.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, HCueds said:

Yeah, they retail for over $300 but this guy is selling it at $250 w/ free shipping. No tags. Know what it is? It's a supplied-through-vendor or sponsor mask, and the current owner is looking to make fast cash. No returns allowed. No tags, so it can't be sent back to All-Star.

That is a legit Nike Titanium. Those aren't crimps, because Titanium is solid; thus, it's not crimped. It was just an ugly weld on the left ear guard arrowheads (struts). Happens. Titanium is not an easy material to weld, especially by hand. That, or else the machine in the shop had a bad day, but it still passed integrity test, so got shipped out.

8 hours ago, MadMax said:

Yeah, they retail for over $300 but this guy is selling it at $250 w/ free shipping. No tags. Know what it is? It's a supplied-through-vendor or sponsor mask, and the current owner is looking to make fast cash. No returns allowed. No tags, so it can't be sent back to All-Star.

That is a legit Nike Titanium. Those aren't crimps, because Titanium is solid; thus, it's not crimped. It was just an ugly weld on the left ear guard arrowheads (struts). Happens. Titanium is not an easy material to weld, especially by hand. That, or else the machine in the shop had a bad day, but it still passed integrity test, so got shipped out.

Could it be that it was broken, and perhaps fixed by someone that maybe shouldn't have been messing with it?   

On 5/18/2017 at 11:04 AM, wolfe_man said:

For the umpire that can't bend over!

When you're knees are too stiff to move any longer - use this!

I'd just hand it to the catchers.

• Like 1