who's going and when

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3218 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am coming week 3 and will be there for the Summer til the end, when its over after week 13. I would come 1 and 2 as well but have other resposibilities til June 16th so. So Iwill see ALL of you guys week 3.

Matt Hoey

Are you one of my be guys that take up 2-3 bunks to store your gear?

Making it harder for the guys coming in later to find a bunk?

Absolutily NOT!!! I take the back corner of the bunk im in and THAT IS ALL. I ALWAYS WELCOME ALL people in and ANY UMPS looking for a home.I have never been nor will I ever be thatr type of a guy Jax. Sorry but that is NOT ME!!!!

Good for you! Good job!

Absolutily NOT!!! I take the back corner of the bunk im in and THAT IS ALL. I ALWAYS WELCOME ALL people in and ANY UMPS looking for a home.I have never been nor will I ever be thatr type of a guy Jax. Sorry but that is NOT ME!!!!

SOme of the 13 week guys will take the corner bunks and the bunk across from them for storage and privacy. so 4 guys already take up 8 bunks. Sucks. Then the poor guy that comes in late can't find a bunk or sleeps on that stupid bunk on the middle of the floor.

Ah, sleeping on the island? Yeah, I started that way. I was snuck into the "last available bunk" some time after midnight on Friday-Saturday. All my stuff was still bagged up, and I slept in my clothes under a single blanket. I awoke the next morning to all these veteran attendees all leering at me, like sharks looking at a goldfish in a bag. I remember, vividly, Jesse Estrada asking, "What (not who) are you?"

That week shaped my umpire career. Spending time and calling games with those guys made a huge impression on me, and I not only had a group of colleagues and mentors, but true friends. @Scuzzyfeller knows the sentiment.

• Like 1

Jax:  Really???  If anyone tried to take up 2 bunks in 33B last year, I can guarantee all of his stuff would have been thrown out the front door.

You can ask ANY of the Umps I shared 51 with. (AREA 51) Max knows what I mean, I always welcomed everyone and anyone who needed a home for the week or weeks into the cabin. All the Umps I met and did games with were very helpful and we ALL LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER. One BIG HAPPY "BLUE" FAMILY!!!!!

Can not wait til week 3. Can not come soon enough, espicially with ALL this SNOW we have had up in the Northeast. Somewhere deep under all that White stuff is Beautiful fields ready to be played on come June. Tick tock, tick tock counting down the days til June.

Matt Hoey

I don't work 60' basepath games very often. Maybe once a year. Primarily because I cannot stand how the fans (parents) and coaches usually act. I attribute that to their general lack of knowledge of the game and rules and inexperience. However, the teams that go to CDP are probably not your average bunch of amateurs and doofuses I'm used to seeing when I get stuck working that level. I really liked Cooperstown. And I really love baseball and umpiring and working with other umpires who really love the game and umpiring like I do. You've got me interested.

My question is this: How do the fans, players and coaches behave at CDP?

Nothing ruins a wonderful day at the ballpark for me like a bunch of whining, argumentative, crybaby idiots who don't know the game. Which has been the case EVERY time I've stepped onto a 60' diamond since I've been an umpire.

My question is this: How do the fans, players and coaches behave at CDP?

Nothing ruins a wonderful day at the ballpark for me like a bunch of whining, argumentative, crybaby idiots who don't know the game. Which has been the case EVERY time I've stepped onto a 60' diamond since I've been an umpire.

Good thing about CDP is that there are no fans anywhere near home plate. All the fans are along the left and right field lines on the other side of the dugout.

There is an occasional idiot that things you missed a pitch from way out there.

I will STOP counting the days when the Day Finally arrives for me  to begin my time/stay at CDP. Now that there is like 2-3 more snow storms on the way here, looks like more down time. All I want is for ALL the SNOW  to GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!

Majordave:  Some rules at CDP are VERY strict: If a coach is ejected, he has to leave the game, leave the park (has to arrange his own transportation), and he's never allowed to set foot on CDP grounds again for (I kid you not) the rest of his life.  Consequently, there are very few ejections.  They know what can happen.  Still, they also know that any umpire who is a halfway decent human being doesn't want to do that to anyone.  So it's a bit of cat & mouse.  You need to establish authority in the pre-game without being adversarial.

The fans are fans.  Fortunately, they are mostly seated past the dugouts, in the stands past first & third base.  I've heard the grumbling when I'm watching my sponsored team, but I stay quiet and incognito for the most part.  I haven't seen anyone in the stands get out of control, though... no loud crybabies or whiners.

All in all, it's a very positive experience.

Majordave: Some rules at CDP are VERY strict: If a coach is ejected, he has to leave the game, leave the park (has to arrange his own transportation), and he's never allowed to set foot on CDP grounds again for (I kid you not) the rest of his life. Consequently, there are very few ejections. They know what can happen. Still, they also know that any umpire who is a halfway decent human being doesn't want to do that to anyone. So it's a bit of cat & mouse. You need to establish authority in the pre-game without being adversarial.

The fans are fans. Fortunately, they are mostly seated past the dugouts, in the stands past first & third base. I've heard the grumbling when I'm watching my sponsored team, but I stay quiet and incognito for the most part. I haven't seen anyone in the stands get out of control, though... no loud crybabies or whiners.

All in all, it's a very positive experience.

Holy crap, the rest of his life!? Triple Crown needs to take a page out of that book!

• Like 2

My favorite thing about the set up of the CDP fields is the fact that no one can be behind the backstop. It's like a privacy fence behind you. The fans are all sitting down the RF and LF lines - it's awesome.

Yes, Mick is right about coaches being banned for life when they're ejected. They are also told that they'll be "digitally removed" from their team picture. So, they are careful and while we're told to give them some slack, we establish those boundaries early.

• Like 1