Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
A_schwarz21

Nike titanium mask

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Certain clues can verify. However ....I saw one last weekend .....held one...... STUPID LIGHT!! Really its crazy. Also...... Hollow steel can't be that light. And....BTW....I do understand your question :-)

The easiest tell is the ends of the bars. The steel mask is hollow so the ends are ground at an angle and plugged to look solid. The titanium bars are solid all the way through, so look a little different.

Couldn't find a picture of a steel one quickly, but check the ends of this and you'll see what I mean: '>

I have seen the steel mask with those ends like that, my old Honig was like that.. it was heavy. I have two Diamond's now that I think are aluminum, the ends aren't like the steel ones. 

Certain clues can verify. However ....I saw one last weekend .....held one...... STUPID LIGHT!! Really its crazy.

Also...... Hollow steel can't be that light. And....BTW....I do understand your question :-)

I have held the Wilson titanium masks - and still believe that the magnesium masks (champro / +pos) are lighter.....I have three magnesium masks.....

Certain clues can verify. However ....I saw one last weekend .....held one...... STUPID LIGHT!! Really its crazy.

Also...... Hollow steel can't be that light. And....BTW....I do understand your question :-)

I have held the Wilson titanium masks - and still believe that the magnesium masks (champro / +pos) are lighter.....I have three magnesium masks.....

interesting ..... 

What I didn't like is the semi-low profile of the NikeTi ....

I now rock a Nike NRS, and love it.

You're all correct about the bar ends (especially on the ear-guard struts) as the distinguishing characteristic. To repeat, the Titanium bar ends, being solid, are blunt; the Steel bars are hollow, and thus are crimped and closed / plugged. The welds are a (little bit) messier, but it's a minor discrepancy. The weight is negligible, in my professional opinion. I wore a Rawlings PWMX in farm ball, and that is a strain on the neck, so either the Nike Steel or the Titanium is going to be a feather.

I realize that Nike is trying to project a sense of value and exclusivity in making the Titanium and Steel (NRS) only available via outfitting to college and sponsored catchers and umpires, but they really should strongly consider making this available on the open market. It's a great piece of gear. The Retail Steel (the "Teardrop") is probably good, but the Titanium and NRS are that much better. And we're not even sure if Nike is going to make a retail version this year.

I have seen the steel mask with those ends like that, my old Honig was like that.. it was heavy. I have two Diamond's now that I think are aluminum, the ends aren't like the steel ones. 

@blue23ll, by the way it reads in their catalog, Diamond is producing two masks based on their oh-so-popular iX3 model-style. The one with the pathetic, paltry, wimpy pads (labeled DFM-iX3-UMP) states it's "Ultra-lite single eye-bar design with powder coated finish". That's steel, every day and every way. The other, newer one is the DFM-UMP-BL (BL = "Big League"), with better and beefier pads (that you don't have immediately swap out and burn), and that one states it's "Ultra-lite single eye-bar design with anodized finish". You don't anodize steel... but you do anodize aluminum. So it's entirely plausible that the DFM-UMP-BL is aluminum.

I now rock a Nike NRS, and love it.

You're all correct about the bar ends (especially on the ear-guard struts) as the distinguishing characteristic. To repeat, the Titanium bar ends, being solid, are blunt; the Steel bars are hollow, and thus are crimped and closed / plugged. The welds are a (little bit) messier, but it's a minor discrepancy. The weight is negligible, in my professional opinion. I wore a Rawlings PWMX in farm ball, and that is a strain on the neck, so either the Nike Steel or the Titanium is going to be a feather.

I realize that Nike is trying to project a sense of value and exclusivity in making the Titanium and Steel (NRS) only available via outfitting to college and sponsored catchers and umpires, but they really should strongly consider making this available on the open market. It's a great piece of gear. The Retail Steel (the "Teardrop") is probably good, but the Titanium and NRS are that much better. And we're not even sure if Nike is going to make a retail version this year.

@blue23ll, by the way it reads in their catalog, Diamond is producing two masks based on their oh-so-popular iX3 model-style. The one with the pathetic, paltry, wimpy pads (labeled DFM-iX3-UMP) states it's "Ultra-lite single eye-bar design with powder coated finish". That's steel, every day and every way. The other, newer one is the DFM-UMP-BL (BL = "Big League"), with better and beefier pads (that you don't have immediately swap out and burn), and that one states it's "Ultra-lite single eye-bar design with anodized finish". You don't anodize steel... but you do anodize aluminum. So it's entirely plausible that the DFM-UMP-BL is aluminum.

Diamond masks are aluminum.  The last steel mask they made was the double bar.  The one with the "wimpy" pads, is aluminum. I can assure you that those pads are not great.  That said, a lot of guys wear them.  Its not THAT big of a deal.  I got a concussion wearing wilson wrap arounds and those WERE what team wendy's ARE now.  Lots of guys that aren't on this site everyday (probably in their rule books and CCA) wear Diamond stock pads! Check out picture 26/32!

http://www.lsusports.net/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=27866&SPID=2173&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=5200&PALBID=1358365

I have a hollow tube steel Diamond, and a magnesium Champro (among others). I had a Wilson titanium, which I dumped because I don't care for low profile masks. They're all very light, with very, very little difference in weight. I've got an aluminum Diamond, that's also quite light.

Once you add the heft of quality pads, the weight difference really can't be noticed. Go with fit, profile, visibility and looks. Just understand that difference between $65 Diamond and $300+ Nike isn't that much, once you remove the "cool" factor.

A black plate coat, a Team Wendy optioned Riddell and a Nike mask are all cool. Can't put a price on cool.

I have a hollow tube steel Diamond, and a magnesium Champro (among others). I had a Wilson titanium, which I dumped because I don't care for low profile masks. They're all very light, with very, very little difference in weight. I've got an aluminum Diamond, that's also quite light.

Once you add the heft of quality pads, the weight difference really can't be noticed. Go with fit, profile, visibility and looks. Just understand that difference between $65 Diamond and $300+ Nike isn't that much, once you remove the "cool" factor.

A black plate coat, a Team Wendy optioned Riddell and a Nike mask are all cool. Can't put a price on cool.

I do agree you can't put a price on cool but I have to say there is quite a difference in the Diamond and the Nike. The Diamond feels cramped as far as visability goes when compared to other masks as well as it being a concusion magnet.

I do agree you can't put a price on cool but I have to say there is quite a difference in the Diamond and the Nike. The Diamond feels cramped as far as visability goes when compared to other masks as well as it being a concusion magnet.

I agree with platejob29 about the vision. I recently picked up a Nike NRS and the vision is great.  It has a 2" eye opening and with my All Star 4000 being about the same at 1 7/8" opening, I don't have a significant change or loss in vision, weight,  when I swap masks.

• Like 1

I agree with platejob29 about the vision. I recently picked up a Nike NRS and the vision is great.  It has a 2" eye opening and with my All Star 4000 being about the same at 1 7/8" opening, I don't have a significant change or loss in vision, weight,  when I swap masks.

The only issue I have w/ the FM4000 is that although it's standard profile (basically) .... the upper cage area isn't, and although you CAN wear an 8 stitch underneath it,.... at the same time, it can get in the way...

The Diamond masks are extremely popular, but I have never really cared for them personally. I tried one on a few years ago and I agree that it felt cramped and just didn't fit me very well. I thought the Wilson Titanium was a pretty good fit, but the Mizuno 122 I used last year and the Nike NRS that I have now have way better vision than the Wilson. 

First, it's great that everyone has a favorite mask, and they're not all the same. Every noggin is different.

As to the 8 stitch, just a word of caution. Make sure you allow enough crush zone between the bill and your frame. If you get cracked above the eyes, that bill could be driven back into your skull, make for an uncomfortable outcome. Just something to look for.

For me its the shape of the bars, after using a Rawlings mask for 3 years I switched to a MVP 2500 with the I Bar Vision, now I can only use All Star masks because I can't deal with rounded bars. That's how they get you, you fall in love with I Bars and can't go back!

To me the vision is all about the thickness of the bars. Not the eye opening.  

I don't know. The Wilson Ti has thin bars and the Mizuno 122 has relatively thick bars, and the 122 is a lot easier to see out of. I switched back and forth between the two last summer a few times and the Wilson felt like I was looking through a peep hole in a door. 

Wow, @gnhbua93, that's quite an interpretation. I'm not saying you're wrong, but as you phrased, it's your perspective you are conveying.

I had been using stock pads on my Easton Speed Elite, and I thought that was a great deal of standoff distance. When I tried the Force3 Defender, I found it to be noticeably similar; I've worn dozens of helmets and facemasks in my sports career (baseball catcher, football, hockey goalie, lacrosse (what was I thinking?), motorsports, etc.), and I'm an excellent judge of peripheral vision. But, like you (or anybody else), I'm just a judge. I found it to be a bit... cave-like. It's still an outstanding mask, and has much (x104) better vision than a Rawlings PWMX or LWMX or LWMX-LP.

Which segues me to my next topic...

For me its the shape of the bars, after using a Rawlings mask for 3 years I switched to a MVP 2500 with the I Bar Vision, now I can only use All Star masks because I can't deal with rounded bars. That's how they get you, you fall in love with I Bars and can't go back!

See, this is what bugs me about Rawlings (especially)... You style yourself a leader in your industry, and the best you can come up with is a traditional mask that could double as a hubcap, hung off your face, while you've got one of the most prominent (gag me, but I digress) catcher's in the league as your poster boy, and the best you can supply him with is a HSM that is two years behind your competitor's model in developments?

What the heck are you doing with your time? Better yet, what are you doing with our (the customer base) money?

Even though baseball is a sport steeped in tradition, it must progress. The same expectation needs to be applied to the equipment.

Wow, @gnhbua93, that's quite an interpretation. I'm not saying you're wrong, but as you phrased, it's your perspective you are conveying.

I had been using stock pads on my Easton Speed Elite, and I thought that was a great deal of standoff distance. When I tried the Force3 Defender, I found it to be noticeably similar; I've worn dozens of helmets and facemasks in my sports career (baseball catcher, football, hockey goalie, lacrosse (what was I thinking?), motorsports, etc.), and I'm an excellent judge of peripheral vision. But, like you (or anybody else), I'm just a judge. I found it to be a bit... cave-like. It's still an outstanding mask, and has much (x104) better vision than a Rawlings PWMX or LWMX or LWMX-LP.

Which segues me to my next topic...

See, this is what bugs me about Rawlings (especially)... You style yourself a leader in your industry, and the best you can come up with is a traditional mask that could double as a hubcap, hung off your face, while you've got one of the most prominent (gag me, but I digress) catcher's in the league as your poster boy, and the best you can supply him with is a HSM that is two years behind your competitor's model in developments?

What the heck are you doing with your time? Better yet, what are you doing with our (the customer base) money?

Even though baseball is a sport steeped in tradition, it must progress. The same expectation needs to be applied to the equipment.I have no issue with Rawlings alone, I can't wear any brand other than all star, because of the bars.

Rawlings has a Titanium mask I believe. I think it is double bar though. 

Rawlings has a Titanium mask I believe. I think it is double bar though. 

Nope, single wire on that one. The layout is the same as the PWMX and LWMX, though, in a testament to Rawlings employing the oldest designer in the sports equipment industry... Or not having a designer at all, and re-using the previous guy's work.

I mean, look at the description for the PWMX and LWMX – "Same model worn by Mike Piazza." WHAT??!!! Piazza left baseball 7 years ago, and while he will likely be a HoF inductee, this is the best you (Rawlings) can come up with? That's like showcasing a Johnny Bench model of catcher's glove (which I still have, BTW... got it when I was 11, and I rescued it from a potential life of being beaten to smithereens by the high-school team).