NCAA test #5

Haid D' Salaami
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3363 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Can't say about NCAA, but under OBR, I believe the answer would be "D."  Batter reached 1st on a hit batter, but R-2 did not also advance at least one base.  Balk, ball retroactively dead at the moment of the infraction, what happened after the ball became dead is disregarded.

"PENALTY: The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without lia-
bility to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls,
a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which

case the play proceeds without reference to the balk."

Can't say about NCAA, but under OBR, I believe the answer would be "D."  Batter reached 1st on a hit batter, but R-2 did not also advance at least one base.  Balk, ball retroactively dead at the moment of the infraction, what happened after the ball became dead is disregarded.

"PENALTY: The ball is dead, and each runner shall advance one base without lia-
bility to be put out, unless the batter reaches first on a hit, an error, a base on balls,
a hit batter, or otherwise, and all other runners advance at least one base, in which

case the play proceeds without reference to the balk."

?

I put C.  It is a delayed dead ball from the balk but when the batter got hit it became a dead ball.  My thought process was that R2 did not advance a base while the BR did so now we enforce the HBP.  R2 returns.

I only got one wrong on the test and I don't think this was the one.  Although it could have been.

I put C.  It is a delayed dead ball from the balk but when the batter got hit it became a dead ball.  My thought process was that R2 did not advance a base while the BR did so now we enforce the HBP.  R2 returns.

I only got one wrong on the test and I don't think this was the one.  Although it could have been.

You enforce the BALK (not the hbp) if not everyone advances.

So, if this is the one you missed, did you have question 4 (using this site's numbers), and if so, what did you put.

So, if this is the one you missed, did you have question 4 (using this site's numbers), and if so, what did you put.

My friend had it and we had R3 out and BR gets first.

not to be mean, but really.. on a balk, the runners always advance a base.. always. that is the 1st part of the balk rule...LOL

My friend had it and we had R3 out and BR gets first.

Thanks.  So, if he got 100, then that must be the right answer.  I get more and more confused on this one.

I've never had it, but now it will probably hapopen to me 3 times this season.

Like i said.. BR cant get 1st.. cause the 1st part of the balk rule wasnt meet... the runner, and Batter didnt advance on the HBP.. so unfortunate as it is, the batter comes back to bat... sorry that you got hit and do not get to advance to 1st because of that, but we had a balk and the only person who gets to move is your runner at 2nd. 

• Like 2

Like i said.. BR cant get 1st.. cause the 1st part of the balk rule wasnt meet... the runner, and Batter didnt advance on the HBP.. so unfortunate as it is, the batter comes back to bat... sorry that you got hit and do not get to advance to 1st because of that, but we had a balk and the only person who gets to move is your runner at 2nd. 

Thank you.  I thought the HBP superseded the delayed dead ball of the balk.  That's why I'm here, trying to learn more and more.