Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
maineump

How many organizations to you pay membership to?

Many questions that come up with new umpires is how much does it cost. Not only do we have to pay for equipment, but some organizations also have dues or memberships. Not all are required, but some of them have some good benefits for the umpires.

Which organizations do you pay dues to?

My list is:

NCAA

College Baseball Umpires Assigning Organization

CBUA - Maine

Eastern Maine Baseball Umpires Assn

NASO

Little League Registry

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Many questions that come up with new umpires is how much does it cost. Not only do we have to pay for equipment, but some organizations also have dues or memberships. Not all are required, but some of them have some good benefits for the umpires.

Which organizations do you pay dues to?

My list is:

NCAA

College Baseball Umpires Assigning Organization

CBUAO - Maine

Eastern Maine Baseball Umpires Assn

NASO

Little League Registry

I didn't knew that there was a CBUAO Maine.  That's new for me.

It's at least 9 for me. I will almost work anywhere. So glad three or four of the guys I work for don't charge a dues fee. Coincidentally those are the guys who don't use Arbiter and I get paid at the game or at the end of a weekend tourney. So, my theory is that effin Arbiter is a contributing factor to our dues/fees for associations and assigners.

• Like 1

It's at least 9 for me. I will almost work anywhere. So glad three or four of the guys I work for don't charge a dues fee. Coincidentally those are the guys who don't use Arbiter and I get paid at the game or at the end of a weekend tourney. So, my theory is that effin Arbiter is a contributing factor to our dues/fees for associations and assigners.

Good thing T-ball is still big in your area!

• Like 2

Four

State HS association

Local chapter of state association

Summer ball association

American Legion

Quick question - for associations that have regular meetings, does your group provide any food?

Quick question - for associations that have regular meetings, does your group provide any food?

Coffee. Sometimes.

Maybe, but you can almost guarantee that Arbiter increases your revenue too.  

Arbiter makes it possible for me to work for mmultiple assigners and keep my schedule sane.

• Like 3

FHSAA
Perfect Game

Roy Hobbs

River City Umpires

Babe Ruth Baseball

Babe Ruth Softball

Will add as I remember more

I only pay a Membership fee to our High School Association. I pay Assignor fees on all of the others.

I pay dues for my local High School league, two associations and I just joined NASO

My association and some assignors that use arbiter which makes life so much simpler for me and the assignors I work with

assigner – a person who assigns, allots or apportions.

assignor – a person who legally transfers to another some property or right.

• Like 2

@Ump29. I notice that too. I've been correcting guys for ten years now. Feel like it's a losing battle.

One, but our org does most of the games in and around my area.

How do you guys find these organizations? Not this year but possibly next, my husband will be on the road a lot and I'm wondering how to find the local organizations of the places he'll be. We'll be in areas for long stretches and it will be better for me to fill time umpiring versus the alternative of shopping.

How do you guys find these organizations? Not this year but possibly next, my husband will be on the road a lot and I'm wondering how to find the local organizations of the places he'll be. We'll be in areas for long stretches and it will be better for me to fill time umpiring versus the alternative of shopping.

I found my association by Google search, then a few phone calls. Ask around. Especially people who are in the NCAA, there are connections in various groups. 

However, you may have to pay for entry into an organization. If you're traveling much, you may not be able to advance past the lower levels (seniority trap). 

I found my association by Google search, then a few phone calls. Ask around. Especially people who are in the NCAA, there are connections in various groups.

However, you may have to pay for entry into an organization. If you're traveling much, you may not be able to advance past the lower levels (seniority trap).

I'd be fine paying entrance and just doing kids games. That's pretty much what I do now and I like the kids games. I even like the kids craptastic orgs which frees up some poor sob to do decent ball. I just can't stand the thought of living in a hotel with nothing to do. I'd rather volunteer games than sit around.