Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
acpar72

See all the black Nike mock necks on MLB umpires lately?

I feel like I am seeing a lot more swoosh lately? Anyone else?  Mostly its a black Nike mock neck undershirt and the nike swoosh is in the middle perfectly visible.  I don't remember seeing these before.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Well, I've noticed it, and I'm not really an MLB umpire geek.

Those guys really need to take advantage of their time on TV, and finally get some $ for product placement. As it is, they get some free stuff in a box at the start of the season. BFD.

Someone, besides Joe West, needs to be in charge of their marketing deal. They are TV all game long, and could really make it worth their while, with just a little thought.

you used to be able to buy them, I don't believe they are available to the public anymore but there are still a few floating around. However, they are the Nike pro combat shirts

Well, I've noticed it, and I'm not really an MLB umpire geek.

Those guys really need to take advantage of their time on TV, and finally get some $ for product placement. As it is, they get some free stuff in a box at the start of the season. BFD.

Someone, besides Joe West, needs to be in charge of their marketing deal. They are TV all game long, and could really make it worth their while, with just a little thought.

You realize there's a six-figure check in the box full of free stuff, right?

I, too, have noticed base guys with swooshes directly under their faces. It looks tacky. 

I say, gather everyone who thinks advertising on player/umpire uni's is a good way to make a buck and put 'em deep in a hole.

Now, does anyone know where I can get some swoosh undershirts on the low?

• Like 1

I'm not advocating these guys parade around in NASCAR type suits. And, the logos don't need to any more bigger, or pronounce that what they wear now. Currently, it's New Balance, Majestic and Wilson. And the umpires don't see penny one from any of those companies (aside from some free gear).  All I'm saying is these guys should be better represented when striking endorsement deals.

Perhaps you haven't ever been sponsored by a company. I have, on a very small scale, but I've known friends who had BIG time endorsement deals. I got paid every time I had a logo placed in print or on TV. I got cases of Power Bars and WD-40 on a regular basis, plus gear for my bikes. Real low level stuff. Extrapolate that into product placement of the current logos on MLB umpires x hours on nationwide TV x 162+ game.

And yeah, they do get paid a fair salary for doing a plate every 4 or 5 days.  But they should be making a lot more if they had some sort of organized deal.