RLI - Textbook

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3515 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

He knows the rules BUT he is a players manager.

He always feels the need to " defend" his guys.

Just like the BIG Fu*&#ing RAT Bobby Cox!

Jack, ...holding back how you really feel can cause stress ........let it out, ....say what you really think and feel! :)

• Like 1

Jack, ...holding back how you really feel can cause stress ........let it out, ....say what you really think and feel! :)

@BigUmpire has been cranky lately! :shakehead:  :rose:

hold on.. why would you not as the manager come out on this play... it's defending his players.....classic... all's he is trying to do is get those runs..

hold on.. why would you not as the manager come out on this play... it's defending his players.....classic... all's he is trying to do is get those runs..

I am an oldtime baseball guy but some "classic stuff" needs to be curtailed. 

Judging by what the PU was saying, Soscia argued that the intervening play took RLI off the table. That's false, as he learned.

Of course, if the throw to F2 had pulled him off the base and R3 was ruled safe, then his run will score in spite of the RLI.

Saw the play last night on MLB network. Reynolds starts going off on his rant again about how this rule "needs to disappear". Both his partners (Byrnes and Amsinger) pretty much told him STFU, BR was running in the grass for God's sake.  :beerbang

• Like 1

Saw the play last night on MLB network. Reynolds starts going off on his rant again about how this rule "needs to disappear". Both his partners (Byrnes and Amsinger) pretty much told him STFU, BR was running in the grass for God's sake.  :beerbang

Aybar is one of the smartest players in MLB, and he knew damn well what he was doing.  In fact, he starts out running on or just OUTSIDE the line, but by the time he's at the 45, he's magically in fair territory and still veering to his left.  I'm an Angels fan and knew this was RLI as I watched it live.  I could only shake my head when I saw Scioscia come out.  I'm out of town but will check my DVR when I get home to see what Gubicza was saying.

Aybar is one of the smartest players in MLB, and he knew damn well what he was doing.  In fact, he starts out running on or just OUTSIDE the line, but by the time he's at the 45, he's magically in fair territory and still veering to his left.  I'm an Angels fan and knew this was RLI as I watched it live.  I could only shake my head when I saw Scioscia come out.  I'm out of town but will check my DVR when I get home to see what Gubicza was saying.

Exactly how it happened. Notice also he veers right back to the right side of the foul line after he's hit. 

Saw it live, but was at a bar so couldn't hear what the Angels broadcasters were saying. Hopefully, Gubicza got it right, but I'm doubtful.

@grayhawk Sometimes I question Gubicza's analysis skills.

I like him, for the most part.  I grew up in KC, so was a huge fan of him in the 80s.  Love listening to him talk about pitch selection and what batter's should be looking for on certain counts.  He's not horrible with the rules, but certainly isn't great either.  So tired of hearing him judge all check swings based on the bat crossing the plate or not.  He says it like it's gospel.  He's also very respectful of the umpires, and it's pretty rare for him to criticize them at all.  Overall, I think he does a nice job.

Garyhawk at at bar? Normal pre-game routine, again? :wave:

Don't tell me you wait for the weekend to start partying...

No way. I've been in a drunken stupor since yesterday. Why do you think I spelled your screen name wrong? :smachhead: