Agree with the reversal?

Gfoley4
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3533 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I'll go against the majority here and be the dissenting vote. There was never any control of the ball.  From the view of the umpire the ball went in the glove, hand went in the glove, ball fell to ground.  In live action, and from the umpires view I would have an out as well.  I was watching the game live and said, "transfer" out loud in my living room.  However, when using repaly in New York, they use all possible angles and slow motion.  From the outfield angle in slow motion you see a different play.  The ball goes into the mitt, the mitt never closes, the ball never comes to a stop, the ball comes out before the hand gets there.  There has to be some control of the ball to be an out at second even if it is a transfer play.  In my opinion, and obviously the umpires in New York, the outfield angle showed there was not enough control of the ball for the out.  I don't think this was the umpires reverting to the begnning of the season ruling.         

• Like 3

I agree with the overturn.  Schoop never had possession of the ball.  I think this is an example where replay was used the way it was intended.  Based on the angle the umpire had and the way Schoop sold it, you can see why the transfer was called.  Using a camera angle to see the play from a different angle than the umpire had resulted in what I believe was the correct call. 

• Like 1

Buck's reaction shows the frustration the managers are feeling with the replay system.  They are used to gettng thrown out of games for arguing disputed calls, but at least they get to give the umpire they are upset with a piece of their mind.  Now, even when they are pissed about a call from New York they are just supposed to say, "ok", and deal with it.  They can't do that, so they go argue with the umpires on the field.  They get tossed, but they get no satisfaction from it.  The people they really want to yell at are tucked away in an office somewhere safe from reprecusions of the call. I'm certainly not condoning the actions of Buck or others, but I can feel their pain to some degree.

The transfer call will especially cause frustration to managers because it was changed midstream.  Any time it's close, and it goes against them, they are going to be upset, just like in this example.          

"but at least they get to give the umpire they are upset with a piece of their mind"

I want to watch baseball, not pissing and moaning.

I know it has been a part of the game since the first call went bad in Cooperstown BUT enough is enough.

I for one am tired of managers spending WAY too much time "whining" about calls.

Replay will NOT go away BUT will finally develop into something that is good.

• Like 1

Buck's reaction shows the frustration the managers are feeling with the replay system.  They are used to gettng thrown out of games for arguing disputed calls, but at least they get to give the umpire they are upset with a piece of their mind.  Now, even when they are pissed about a call from New York they are just supposed to say, "ok", and deal with it.  They can't do that, so they go argue with the umpires on the field.  They get tossed, but they get no satisfaction from it.  The people they really want to yell at are tucked away in an office somewhere safe from reprecusions of the call. I'm certainly not condoning the actions of Buck or others, but I can feel their pain to some degree.

The transfer call will especially cause frustration to managers because it was changed midstream.  Any time it's close, and it goes against them, they are going to be upset, just like in this example.          

The upshot is that the manager just has to grin and bear it.  Welcome to the life of an umpire (most of the time)

• Like 3

"but at least they get to give the umpire they are upset with a piece of their mind"

I want to watch baseball, not pissing and moaning.

I know it has been a part of the game since the first call went bad in Cooperstown BUT enough is enough.

I for one am tired of managers spending WAY too much time "whining" about calls.

Replay will NOT go away BUT will finally develop into something that is good.

@BigUmpire - I DEFINITELY agree with this. Good post.

The upshot is that the manager just has to grin and bear it.  Welcome to the life of an umpire (most of the time)

Agree...it's a feature, not a bug!

I agree with the overturn.