MLB Ejection 137: Mike Winters (1; Mike Redmond)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3526 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HP Umpire Mike Winters ejected Marlins Manager Mike Redmond for arguing a Replay Review decision that overturned Winters' Rule 7.13 violation no-call (out) in the top of the 8th inning of the Reds-Marlins game. With one out and three on, Reds batter Todd Frazier hit a 1-2 cutter from Marlins...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

That took entirely too long, double what it should have. I think there will be changes, but more tweaking than reengineering. I like the spirit of it and think it's about 80% right as it is, but I think a more direct impact on the runner has to be made, that the fielder materially obstructed or impeded the runner or caused the runner to directly alter their path. When the runner is over 20 feet away? I'm not sure there's an immediate impact.

And NO review should ever take over 3 mins. If it does? Call stands. And even as a fan of replay, I would be in favor of removing this play from review altogether.

Let's look at it this way ........ are you getting OBS on this in a HS game?

I don't think I get OBS in a HS game. How was the runner hindered? I was watching the game live, and it appeared to me Cozart knew he was a dead duck and pulled up way up the baseline and began pointing at F2 immediately. Give him credit for the sales job to Mike Winters on the play. The throw had him beat by 15 feet at least. Big call in a tight game at that point. I am in agreement with the sentiment of protecting the catchers, but I'm not sure this is what everybody had in mind.

I tend to agree with Thunder that an overhaul may be in the future. Perhaps we'll see a MC rule in OBR?

The entire rule is terrible. Just go to the NCAA rule and be done with it if you want to protect the catcher. The runner can't initiate contact above the waist, and if they do they are subject to ejection. The catcher can block the plate without the ball if he is fielding a throw. 

• Like 4

I've had nearly a dozen plays this year with this situation.  On only one have I ruled OBS.  On most of the rest, the offensive has argued for it. 

This is a bad rule and needs to be adjusted.  As a former catcher I'm all for protecting F2, but these MLB replay rulings are doing us amateur umpires no favors.  

You can see by the body language of the umpires on the headsets that the call is going to be overturned.  They are just shaking their head.  Probably 1/2 in disbelief and 1/2 knowing a screaming manager is about to come their way.

My $0.02...the idea and sentiment behind the rule is fine.  The tweak that needs to happen is defining through interps when the catcher has to allow the path.

In this play, the catcher is wrongly in front of the base without the ball...but the runner is 15-20 feet up the line.  As someone mentioned above, there was no hindrance. 

A catcher should only have to give a path when a play is reasonably close.  

Instant replay mocks all of rule 9. As well as umpire code to not give unsolicited viewpoints.

The umpires on the field should be able to keep their call if they want the exact same way we can after getting information from a partner.....

The entire rule is terrible. Just go to the NCAA rule and be done with it if you want to protect the catcher. The runner can't initiate contact above the waist, and if they do they are subject to ejection. The catcher can block the plate without the ball if he is fielding a throw. 

I completely agree!! The NCAA rule is great.

Catcher has the ball before runner reaches the cutout + runner makes NO attempt to reach the plate + runner is tagged out = OUT

If you want to make this look like obstruction at least try to slide and touch the plate. IMO - a slide would have stopped him before the plate (the catcher has the ball) and he was still out.

I am no MLB umpire, so am I missing something here?

They kept saying that they were reviewing this for a rule interp? This is 100% a judgement call IMO, and Winters had it right.

• Like 1

Two thoughts on this play.

1.  What would happen if the umpires (they have a union) collectively decided to be civilly disobedient and take whatever punishment that MLB doles out as they refuse to overturn the calls after they get the ruling over the headset.  If you think about it, Winters could have put the headset down and signaled out.  Nobody would have known except the guys in New York and MLB Brass.  The first guy to stand up for himself might be hammered on, but after it happened 4-5 times, MLB would get that there was a revolution occurring.  Maybe mid-season isn't the time to do this and the union will likely have a lot to say about fixing replay during the offseason.  But there is enough rebel in me to just wonder what would happen if they stood up for themselves and fought.

Proposed Solution

2.  Paint a runners lane (box) coming into the plate. If the runner hasn't reached the box (say 20 ft from the plate) before the catcher has the ball, no protection should be given to the runner. If he's in the box, the catcher must have the ball before going into the box.

1. What would happen if the umpires (they have a union) collectively decided to be civilly disobedient and take whatever punishment that MLB doles out as they refuse to overturn the calls after they get the ruling over the headset. If you think about it, Winters could have put the headset down and signaled out. Nobody would have known except the guys in New York and MLB Brass. The first guy to stand up for himself might be hammered on, but after it happened 4-5 times, MLB would get that there was a revolution occurring. Maybe mid-season isn't the time to do this and the union will likely have a lot to say about fixing replay during the offseason. But there is enough rebel in me to just wonder what would happen if they stood up for themselves and fought.

This'll be me, you guys. "No, screw you, New York. I called that out and it will stay an out."

*gets fired the next day*

• Like 2