Baseball to Football

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3550 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well since moving to Utah in May I have been welcomed with open arms by those who assign baseball and other sports.

I not only umpired all the 13 and 14 year old Southern Utah State Championship games for Babe Ruth but was also the Tournament Director for the site.  At the end of the tournament the State Director thanked me and commented that I was the only site he did not have to respond to for a problem/issue over the 4 days.

Last week I signed up with the Utah High School Football Officials Association and the Baseball Association.  That was done through Arbiter and am waiting for my packet to arrive with my rulebooks and materials to take my tests for both sports.

Attended my first local association meeting last night.  This was a general meeting and included officials from all the sports.  Baseball, Football, Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Wrestling.

Football uniforms will be ordered in a couple of days.

Saturday it is a two hour drive to Salt Lake City to attend the High School Football Clinic.

School starts Aug 20th and the kids which they call Little League Football around here start playing that week.

I have a couple of guys who are helping learn football mechanics.  I will work the wings most of the year.  Head Linesman or Linesman.

I am being told that there will be 3 kids games on Wednesday night, JV games on Thursday, Varsity games on Friday and then 3 kids games on Saturday.  So could be up to 8 games a week to work.  Also any High School that doesn't have a football team will be playing Fall baseball, so there will be baseball games in the mix as well.  Looks like I will be busy till about Thanksgiving.

So things are going pretty good here and am looking forward to a new adventure in Football.

May step into Basketball after that.

• Like 7

Football is my favorite sport to officiate: 4 great guys on my crew, and every Friday for 10 weeks is guys' night out. We have fun, on and off the field.

After a season of baseball, I'm ready to get back to clocks and whistles. :)

Hey I'll be at the football clinic this Saturday.   I'm 99% sure i'll have some piece of Ohio State gear on.....so if you see me, say hello !  

Glad to hear Utah is treating you well so far.  

I will be wearing my Retired Marine hat.

Outside of the clinic wont have much time.

2 hours there two hours back and SWMBO has work so I have to be back by 330pm.