Travel Ball Tournaments

asek35
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3505 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Ive had the opportunity this year to do some USSSA tournaments.  I feel proud when coaches tell me when I have had the best strike zone they have seen all year.  What drives me insane is I get these crappy partners where the coaches earhole them and tell me that "Im doing a good job."  They go file a complaint against my partner, but down the road for higher tournaments they keep the bad guys around and weed me out.  I do not understand why tournament assignors do that.  

Can you guys provide your insight?  I've had nothing but high praise from coaches.  

Ive had the opportunity this year to do some USSSA tournaments. I feel proud when coaches tell me when I have had the best strike zone they have seen all year. What drives me insane is I get these crappy partners where the coaches earhole them and tell me that "Im doing a good job." They go file a complaint against my partner, but down the road for higher tournaments they keep the bad guys around and weed me out. I do not understand why tournament assignors do that.

Can you guys provide your insight? I've had nothing but high praise from coaches.

I stopped doing USSSA baseball for that very reason.

Ive had the opportunity this year to do some USSSA tournaments.  I feel proud when coaches tell me when I have had the best strike zone they have seen all year.  What drives me insane is I get these crappy partners where the coaches earhole them and tell me that "Im doing a good job."  They go file a complaint against my partner, but down the road for higher tournaments they keep the bad guys around and weed me out.  I do not understand why tournament assignors do that.  

Can you guys provide your insight?  I've had nothing but high praise from coaches.  

To Quote ,  a  famous MLB umpire , from a camp I attended " If you believe them when they tell you how good a job you did!  I I guess you should also believe them when they tell you how much you sucked !"

Bottom line who cares what the coaches or players say after a game good or bad.

I

• Like 3

probably the same coaches 'filing complaints' over and over. IOW, cry babies. Give it a minute. You have an off game or make multiple calls that go against their team and you'll be the worst umpire ever amd the complaints will be about you.
  • Like 1

Our football crew gets evaluated on a program called Zebra-Ware and I tell them every week...If you are going to be proud of their positive evaluations, you can't just throw out the negative ones.  Either throw em all out or admit you stunk when its bad!

@BigUmpire Thank you for the input I feel like its mostly a clique.  One official told me "In this its just like HS no matter what circumstance." Its very cliquey among groups and not very good about letting new people in.

My nephew plays 10U USSSA and the tournaments I have been to as a spectator have shown that they don't pay or respect their umpires, and they are getting what they pay for.  It is apparent that most of these guys are not trained and at first glance they do not know how to manage a game or situations, but I do not blame the umpires for this; the TD's are treating umpires as a commodity and the blame lies with them.

I say "at first glance" because I went to his last tournament of the season this past weekend and my seat in the bleachers was within earshot of the umpires' meeting that the TD was holding (this was not intentional, but it made me realize what a disadvantage these poor umpires have).  A couple of the gems I overheard:

- You get 3 new baseballs per day of the tournament.  If you do not turn them all in at the end of each day I will dock your game fees $5 per unreturned baseball.  If for some reason you need more baseballs you get charged another $5 unless you can turn in a damaged ball.  I saw umpires all weekend delaying their game to make sure out of play foul balls were being returned to them.  With a 2-hour time limit, I bet at least 10 minutes per game were wasted by everyone standing around so the PU could get "his" baseball back.

- An ejection is a last resort and all ejections are subject to immediate review.  If you EJ or restrict a coach and I overturn it, you will finish the game you are on and you should not expect to get assigned any more games this weekend.  WOW.  I saw coach behavior on my nephew's team that I would have no problem justifying an EJ on and the umpires never even warned.  In fact they continued the conversations and got walked all over the entire weekend.  The 1BC ran at the umpire to dispute a catch/no catch call during the play and was not even warned!  But, this is what happens when the umpires have no backing and their authority is non-existent.  Also saw multiple occurrences of umpires justifying their calls verbally to the stands... <_<

- Pay was $25 per game and they got one voucher for a hot dog and a drink at the snack bar.  Two-hour time limit games, two-man crews and each umpire could probably get 5, maybe 6 games a day (games started at 8am each day).  So I can make $125 with a free lunch in 90+ degree heat, unless I don't have 3 baseballs turned in...

:ranton: Bottom line, you want to subject yourself to this level of ball, you have to play by the TD's "rules".  He isn't looking for good umpires, he is looking for warm bodies who are willing to work for peanuts and keep the coaches happy.  All the TD cares about is money and that the teams return for his next tourney.  Umpires?  If a few leave he will find other ones - someone (trained or not) will do it for $125 a day and a free hot dog... :rantoff:

• Like 3

We've got it pretty good around here at our travel ball complex.  We have an air conditioned umpire building with refrigerator and microwave.  All the ice you need for your coolers.  No free concessions.  UIC's are in charge of umpires, and we don't deal with TD.  We are always backed in public by UIC's.  If necessary they will jump your tail in private though.  I've only ever heard of one guy being taken off games he was already assigned.  All the umpires get along pretty well and try to help each other out.  Plenty of baseballs to go around.  This summer 14's with 1:50 time limit paid right about $50.  Just worked a 19U tournament with no time limits, $65/game.  You get games by either a) being loyal to the UIC's, or b) being a very good umpire.  If you do both a and b you get as many games as you want.  Our UIC's want the best out there they can put out there, so often b trumps a.   

We've got it pretty good around here at our travel ball complex.  We have an air conditioned umpire building with refrigerator and microwave.  All the ice you need for your coolers.  No free concessions.  UIC's are in charge of umpires, and we don't deal with TD.  We are always backed in public by UIC's.  If necessary they will jump your tail in private though.  I've only ever heard of one guy being taken off games he was already assigned.  All the umpires get along pretty well and try to help each other out.  Plenty of baseballs to go around.  This summer 14's with 1:50 time limit paid right about $50.  Just worked a 19U tournament with no time limits, $65/game.  You get games by either a) being loyal to the UIC's, or b) being a very good umpire.  If you do both a and b you get as many games as you want.  Our UIC's want the best out there they can put out there, so often b trumps a.   

Is it USSSA?

Bumper Sticker:

• “If the coach, especially the winning coach says "Good call." let it go in one ear and out the otherâ€.-plateumpire

thanks @plateumpire

What does it cost a team to play in this tournament? @law_reb ?

Travel ball around here is all handled by a summer umpires' association that has contracted with the teams/organizations to provide umpires for the tournaments.  Two guys own the association and do a pretty good job IMO. They are also college umpires who know how to take care of their umpires and also how to handle TD's.  They also put out a pretty good product, IMO.  Most of the guys doing travel ball for them are at least upper level HS or college guys, too. When they assign some of the other guys they know are not as experienced or strong, they will generally partner him with a strong umpire to handle things, if necessary. 

Just about every weekend we've had pretty sizable tournaments going on, and I've heard about very few incidents and/or ejections from our group. Most of the games have 2:00/no new inning time limits, and pay $55-60 per game.  I feel sorry for some of you guys having to put up with some of the crap that I read about on this site.  It doesn't have to be that way.  And, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for a lost foul ball. (Or work for $25, for that matter; my time is more valuable than that)

Travel ball around here is all handled by a summer umpires' association that has contracted with the teams/organizations to provide umpires for the tournaments.  Two guys own the association and do a pretty good job IMO. They are also college umpires who know how to take care of their umpires and also how to handle TD's.  They also put out a pretty good product, IMO.  Most of the guys doing travel ball for them are at least upper level HS or college guys, too. When they assign some of the other guys they know are not as experienced or strong, they will generally partner him with a strong umpire to handle things, if necessary. 

Just about every weekend we've had pretty sizable tournaments going on, and I've heard about very few incidents and/or ejections from our group. Most of the games have 2:00/no new inning time limits, and pay $55-60 per game.  I feel sorry for some of you guys having to put up with some of the crap that I read about on this site.  It doesn't have to be that way.  And, I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay for a lost foul ball. (Or work for $25, for that matter; my time is more valuable than that)

Where is this @refump10 ?

It's somewhere in the $800-$1000 range, I believe. It's all been Perfect Game and Pastime as far as I know. 

Perfect Game doesn't car about baseballs. We ask teams to hep get foul balls. If they don't no big deal. There is a scorekeeper behind the fence with 3-4 dozen balls in case you need some.

Is it USSSA?

The tournaments are mostly USSSA starting in March through June.  Some NABF as well.  Dizzy Dean world series for all age groups is an almost 3 week affair In July.  3 or 4 USSSA tournaments in the fall as well

What does it cost a team to play in this tournament? @law_reb ?

In the $350 range for the 3 day tournaments.  Usually teams get 3 pool play games and then at least 2 bracket play games.