Coach with terrible memory

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3543 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

13-14 rec travel game.  Catcher come out to take warm-up pitches and has a skull cap helmet and mask and I instruct him he needs to wear a helmet with ear protection as they play by fed rules.  Coach looks at me and says we have played all year and no one has said anything about that.  I told him yes and he is wrong about not being told as I had his first two games this year and made him change those times too.  I always love the no one has said anything all year argument.

• Like 3

I have only had two ejections this year and one warning.  

The guy I warned on a Saturday as the plate umpire starts telling me on Sunday when I am the base umpire for his game ,about this power-tripping asshole umpire they had in their game yesterday over on that other field.   "This asshole tells me "that's enough, this is your warning for arguing balls and strikes like he was on a power trip or something."  "Hell, this is 14s Majors, doesn't he know that?"

My response:  "Coach, that asshole umpire yesterday was me,"  I turn my shoulder to show him the number 22 on my sleeve, the same number and same shirt I had worn the day before.

Coach says "Oh, sorry blue.  That was you?"  and just walked off.  

I laughed my ass off.  By the way, he shut the hell up as did his assistants after my warning the day before.

• Like 8

Hell, this is 14s Majors, doesn't he know that?"

Bet there were scouts from 19 MLB teams there. Stands full of radar guns. Photographers. Press. The whole nine yards. It was, after all, a 14u Majors summer tournament!!!!

Of course, to answer someone's usual question- I think it's @BigUmpire - "was this USSSA tournament?"

Yes it was. But I don't know what the hell 14U Majors even means or relates to other than the kids are 14 or under. Majors, minors, AAA, AA, A, Open????? WTF? Most of them can't play and have minimal baseball IQ and the coaches are definitely not ready for prime time at any of those levels other than they think they are Earl Weaver and can question judgment calls without repercussions.

• Like 2

I do primarily USSSA tourneys and you can definitely tell the difference in the classes.  14 Majors are a LOT better than 14AA.  Do a AA tourney after doing the Majors tourney and you will see the difference.

Classification has no bearing on arguing balls and strikes, however. And it appeared from Majordave's post that the coach seemed to think that it did...

• Like 1

I agree that it does, but usually you can tell a majors team from a AA team.  Not saying they police the classifications like they should, but they at least try where I'm at.  And yes, coaches are still rats no matter the level of play.