Putting the ball back in after a foul ball

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3534 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

@BaltimoreUmpire

Here's when you need to point and verbalize "PLAY" to put the ball back into play:

1-At the start of EVERY game and at the start of EVERY half-inning;

2-Whenever "Time Out" is called (by you or your partner, any player, or any coach...for pitching changes, injuries, pinch/courtesy runners, for whatever, etc.);

3-After a batter has been HBP;

4-After EVERY foul ball;

5-Any time a live ball goes into dead ball territory;

6-After a home run (assuming it's hit over a fence in fair territory);

7-After an offensive interference call, or Type A obstruction;

8-......

Once you get into the rulebook and learn what situations create a dead-ball situation, you'll know when you have to put it back into play.  The above are just some of the times where you need to do it.  I always put the ball back into play whether there are runners on base or not.  This keeps me in the habit of consistently doing it and now it has become second-nature to me.

Basically, ANY and EVERY time the ball is dead, it needs to be made live and put back into play by a point and a verbalized "PLAY". 

I hope this helps you out!  Good luck!!!

@BigUmpire

I'm guessing @millerforrest couldn't be bothered with reading the entire thread or believe that this is a matter upon which we may differ slightly based upon various factors like location, umpire experience, level of play, etc.

@millerforrest

I don't think you really mean to ruffle feathers, rock the boat, piss people off, etc. And maybe it's just your style to be blunt and direct but for some reason you come across as a real DICK! Just Sayin'. And maybe you don't care but it just seems your writing style just really causes consternation amongst many members. Again, just an observation. I was "lovingly" nicknamed A-Hole by many of my frat brothers in college. One of them coined the phrase "Brother Dave speaks with words that cut like softball bats". So I'm with you at times but.......maybe you can read your stuff before hitting post/send/enter? Or not.....

My .02......

• Like 3

Then use terms like "in my opinion". I was taught thus and such by so and so at this camp/school//clinic........in Michigan the custom amongst college umpires is..... Our conference assigner said we need to.....Tony Thompson sent us a memo that states ........, etc., etc.

The matter of factness of your posts without back story or qualification seems to bother quite a few. If you qualified your comments like I've mentioned it might humanize you a little more and we might know where you're coming from.

Again, my .02......

• Like 3

Thanks guys, these are the "finer points"

I dont want to bust your bubble, and this isn't criticism -- but these aren't any where near the "finer points."

Heck, I'm not even sure it's umpiring 101.

Come on, he's 17 and he's on here trying to get better. And, for many it must be a "finer point" because I work with some veteran guys who never put the ball in play. It drives me nuts. It's just plain laziness.

• Like 1

^^^

What he said. I think it's an untrained umpire thing. Guys who have formal training do it. Without formal training it's hit or miss depending upon how committed they are to being a good umpire. But usually those who are committed are also attending training of some kind. Even if it's only on the internet.

• Like 2

A foul ball does not necessarily make the ball dead.....i.e. when an outfielder goes into foul territory to make a catch with runners on base.

So let's just say an 'uncaught foul ball.' Yes?

• Like 1

I do not indicate "play" at the beginning of a half-inning other than T1.  My training was not to, and I don't consider the ball dead between innings.  True, nothing can happen until the pitcher throws to a batter, but there no rule that says the ball is dead when a third out is made.

I do not indicate "play" at the beginning of a half-inning other than T1. My training was not to, and I don't consider the ball dead between innings. True, nothing can happen until the pitcher throws to a batter, but there no rule that says the ball is dead when a third out is made.

Now this is a real WOW!!!!

• Like 4

I do not indicate "play" at the beginning of a half-inning other than T1.  My training was not to, and I don't consider the ball dead between innings.  True, nothing can happen until the pitcher throws to a batter, but there no rule that says the ball is dead when a third out is made.

?????????????????????????????????????????????

• Like 2

I do not indicate "play" at the beginning of a half-inning other than T1. My training was not to, and I don't consider the ball dead between innings. True, nothing can happen until the pitcher throws to a batter, but there no rule that says the ball is dead when a third out is made.

This takes WOW to another level.

• Like 3

This takes WOW to another level.

I had to read it twice!

Anytime the ball is dead (hopefully we know that list) nothing can legally happen until we put the ball back in play.

Is it critical with no runners on base?  No, it's not the end of the world.

It has been my experience that most umpires who DON'T make it a habit of doing it EVERY time will OCCASIONALLY forget to do it even with runners on base.

• Like 2

I view it kind of like the "do I need an oral "ball" call on every pitch?" question.  When you start out, you should make a call on every pitch, and you should put the ball in play every time.

As you (and the players and coaches) get more (years of) experience, you can stop with the "ball" when it goes to the backstop, and just give a point (and a quiet "here we go" or whatever to batter and F2) to start the inning, but you should still put the ball in play after a foul, and call every pitch that is gloved by F2.

As you (and the players an coaches) get even more (years of) experience, you can stop with the "ball" when it's obvious, even when caught, and you can just point (with the quiet "HWG") with no runners on base.

• Like 1

Wow indeed.  I'm surprised my post caused such a strong reaction.  No baiting intended.

I firmly believe in putting the ball in play with a point and a verbal "play" after every dead ball.  Even without runners, because it gets the players used to the ball being dead until I say otherwise and it makes it an automatic habit for me.  

But I see no reason to put it in play at the beginning of an inning when the warm-ups are over and pitcher, catcher, and batter are ready.  Is it the consensus here that I should?  I guess so, huh?  I'm going to look for what MLB umps do.

Wow indeed.  I'm surprised my post caused such a strong reaction.  No baiting intended.

I firmly believe in putting the ball in play with a point and a verbal "play" after every dead ball.  Even without runners, because it gets the players used to the ball being dead until I say otherwise and it makes it an automatic habit for me.  

But I see no reason to put it in play at the beginning of an inning when the warm-ups are over and pitcher, catcher, and batter are ready.  Is it the consensus here that I should?  I guess so, huh?  I'm going to look for what MLB umps do.

Most of us are not MLB umps with professional players on our fields.

Dont use MLB umpires and  professional baseball as a paragon.

AND remember:

"Not putting the ball into play is like having a pet rattlesnake. At some point you will get bit and it will be all your fault." - boyinr

• Like 3

I'm going to look for what MLB umps do.

First mistake.

Look at what Minor League Umpires do and what High level College guys do.

Why do you not think the ball is dead between innings??? Makes no sense.

• Like 3