Nutty Buddy Rocks!!!

JaxRolo
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3313 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After years of reading the reviews I have finally become a convert. My new NB came in the mail today and As luck would have it I have a game on the plate tonight. I can already tell this is going to be a great improvement over the other traditional cups I have worn. Probably should not have waited this long. I am fully satisfied with the comfort and I don't feel the need to test it's protective qualities. I will accept the video evidence as fact.

Good for you.

I hope you get rocked tonight! Give us report!

Did not get rocked tonight (thanks for the karma @jaxrolo). I must say it was very comfortable. I didn't think I would say that about a cup. I kept checking to make sure it was still there and in place other than that I never really noticed it. It never moved or shifted. I will keep the SD cup in the bag as a spare.

• Like 1

Working a Perfect Game tournament this last weekend. Pitch in the dirt. F2 does an Olé and missed it! Square to the Boyz! Flexed my muscles just like Joe West did and play on!

What muscles?

Wearing the Nutty Buddy for the first time is a great "ah-ha" moment. Like the first time you went from your old, heavy plate shoes, to the NB or Reebok. Or, like me last week, using a Delta Flex harness for the first time (wadda dope, for waiting so long).

Are there any other products like this, that are sooooo much better than the rest?

Working a Perfect Game tournament this last weekend. Pitch in the dirt. F2 does an Olé and missed it! Square to the Boyz! Flexed my muscles just like Joe West did and play on!

What muscles?

His pelvic floor muscles, of course @blue23ll... He does Kegels to push them rocks back down after they get jammed up.

If any of my fellow young(er), trim(mer) umpires feel that wearing all those pieces listed above (compression tights, boxer briefs, etc.) is a bit much, I have found that using the Nike Pro Combat Sliders not only provide compression, but have the sewn-in pouch that fits the NB very well and comfortably. UnderArmour's sliders? Not at all.

To @kylejt's question, that liberating feeling is when you abandon your Rawlings PWMX (or LWMX) and get an actual, lighter-weight mask with better vision.

I like the idea of the Nike Pro Sliders, BUT, what about that padding on them? Is there any Nike compression tight that does not have the sliding pads but still has a cup pocket?

What muscles?

Come on over. I'll show you! :wave:

• 3 weeks later...

Jax....you've seen my weekly "Traveling Umpire Show" FB posts....I swear by it for the past 2 + seasons anyway....

BLESSED ARE THOSE.....

Scuzz

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I bought a Nutty Buddy over the winter and wore it this weekend in a tournement. I was hoping to test my Wilson memory foam pads today and I wound up getting the Nutty Buddy tested. Second game on the dish about half way through the game, F2 sets up outside and the pitch comes inside corner, F2 was late moving over and I take a dead on square hit right on the boyz..  I felt the hit and heard a typical CP loud thump, it rocks me back about 3 steps and I hit a knee. Lots of loud gasps from the fans. F2 bends over and starts apologizing for not catching the ball, then he asks me what am I wearing. He said he heard the thump and the ball bounced back out in front of home plate about 4'. I told him it was the Nutty Buddy and he should get one.

• Like 1

Has anyone here tried this with their compression short package they sell, or just with the jock (or are you wearing it with some other jock or pocketed compression set-up)? Definitely getting the cup, trying to decide how to wear it.

Has anyone here tried this with their compression short package they sell, or just with the jock (or are you wearing it with some other jock or pocketed compression set-up)? Definitely getting the cup, trying to decide how to wear it.

Wear it around your bits and pieces

@webspinnre, I bought one with their jock and here's how I wear it:  First layer, my regular underpants.  Then the jock over that, and I put the cup in place.  Then I wear a pair of Under Armor compression pants over the whole thing.  This is mostly for preventing chafing from my shin guard straps and wicking away moisture.  I love the set up. Everything stays in place, no equipment touches my skin directly, I stay cool and I never even feel my cup or shin straps.  And honestly, I wear that same ensemble when doing the bases.  My mobility isn't hindered a bit.

During my first week of wearing the Nutty Buddy, a bouncer gets by the catcher, comes right up between my legs and nails me square in the cup.  A group in the stands let out a collective "Oooooo!" but I didn't flinch.  Never felt a bit of pain.  The catcher picked up the ball, asked if I was okay, and we kept going like nothing happened.

• Like 1

I can't find it, but I saw a picture of a nutty buddy today that lost it's battle with a fast ball.  CRACKED!  I've been wearing the old banana cup for 20 years and it's served me very well.  The boys like it as well.

I can't find it, but I saw a picture of a nutty buddy today that lost it's battle with a fast ball.  CRACKED!  I've been wearing the old banana cup for 20 years and it's served me very well.  The boys like it as well.

For every one of these there are probably lots of bananas that are cracked.  Even if mine cracked on impact, I'd take that over a cracked nanner any day of the week!  I've been "cupped" 4 times with the NB and twice with a nanner...and there is NO comparing the two.  Both do a job...but with the NB, it doesn't hurt...at all.

I can't find it, but I saw a picture of a nutty buddy today that lost it's battle with a fast ball. CRACKED! I've been wearing the old banana cup for 20 years and it's served me very well. The boys like it as well.

For every one of these there are probably lots of bananas that are cracked. Even if mine cracked on impact, I'd take that over a cracked nanner any day of the week! I've been "cupped" 4 times with the NB and twice with a nanner...and there is NO comparing the two. Both do a job...but with the NB, it doesn't hurt...at all. Same, the NB gives me better protection and is more comfortable, I have been hit amd zero pain with my shock doctor I still felt some impact, nothing that could injure me but still not fun.

I bought a Nutty Buddy over the winter and wore it this weekend in a tournement. I was hoping to test my Wilson memory foam pads today and I wound up getting the Nutty Buddy tested. Second game on the dish about half way through the game, F2 sets up outside and the pitch comes inside corner, F2 was late moving over and I take a dead on square hit right on the boyz.. I felt the hit and heard a typical CP loud thump, it rocks me back about 3 steps and I hit a knee. Lots of loud gasps from the fans. F2 bends over and starts apologizing for not catching the ball, then he asks me what am I wearing. He said he heard the thump and the ball bounced back out in front of home plate about 4'. I told him it was the Nutty Buddy and he should get one.

You should have given him a Joe West flex and said "I ain't wearin' nuthin'. We umps have ba!!s of steel".

• Like 2

Why is it so marked up and the ink smudged???  Methinks there's something up with that.

The guy was probably so proud of it, he wore it on the outside of his pants!

• Like 1