Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
treydawgmt

"Slashing"

I'm doing a softball DH tomorrow.  Last minute favor for a guy on my volunteer fire department who's a coach and they didn't have an umpire.  I haven't done softball in a few years, and have done very little softball in my umpiring career.  (Oh, probably 5 games total).  This is a rule in my games tomorrow:

No "slashing" allowed. (No showing bunt, pulling back and swinging away). A batter that takes a full swing after showing bunt will be called out immediately and runners on base, if any, cannot advance. 

Is that normal?  I used to manage the sophomore softball team in High School and worked EMS at many U of I college softball games.  I remember the slap bunt/slash hit a lot.  Is that technically different than this, or would that also be considered illegal here?  Why would this be a rule?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Our local LL does this for 60' baseball. Reason being they don't want the corners running in then having a kid drill one while they're 10 feet from the batter.  We play it as a DDB. Defense has the option of taking the play or batter out, runners return. Reason being the batter could "slash" then hit into a DP in which case the defense wouldn't want the "slashing" penalty. 

This was actually on the agenda at the past LL Congress. It failed, though I wouldn't mind seeing it on 60' diamonds. It's dangerous enough for corner infielders at normal depth. Bring them in 20-30 feet and they have NO time to react.

I think I'd rather see it handled as a team warning then ejection rather than an artificial out though.

Our local Cal Ripken league has had the same rule, too. IMHO, team warning/ejection policies don't work that well for rec league games with 10 and 12 year olds who don't really notice what their teammates are doing sometimes. Not to mention that in this case, it basically gives you a free pass to do one per game and some coaches would probably use that strategically -- not what you want from a safety rule.

• Like 1

Our local LL does this for 60' baseball. Reason being they don't want the corners running in then having a kid drill one while they're 10 feet from the batter.  We play it as a DDB. Defense has the option of taking the play or batter out, runners return. Reason being the batter could "slash" then hit into a DP in which case the defense wouldn't want the "slashing" penalty.

What do they do when they hit sectionals and it is allowed? Whine?

• Like 1

Coaching my daughter's team this summer, it's amazing how many different local rules I've seen.  Absolutely amazing how the helicopter parents think they have to make the game "better" than it already is.

The team that wins our district is usually 2 games and out @ the sectionals. I'm pretty sure they realize it's allowed there...It's usually the least of their problems. 

Heaven forbid we should teach the corner infielders how to defend a bunt.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not saying I agree with the "no slashing", but it is what it is in my district. Evidently it's not the only district in the country using this rule if was up for vote @ LL National this past year. 

The team that wins our district is usually 2 games and out @ the sectionals. I'm pretty sure they realize it's allowed there...It's usually the least of their problems.

Two and a bbc solves many problems.

Heaven forbid we should teach the corner infielders how to defend a bunt.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm not saying I agree with the "no slashing", but it is what it is in my district. Evidently it's not the only district in the country using this rule if was up for vote @ LL National this past year. 

Been up for a vote many times. Loses every time.