Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
millerforrest

What rule would you change or add?

Hybrid stance for pitchers the only one it might fool is runner at third and if gets picked off that is another out and I guess he was sleeping.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

For some of the games I've been doing lately, I'd make the strike zone 14 feet tall and just as wide.  And if the ball sails behind the batter, that's also a strike.

Is there a rule that you would add or delete at any or all levels of baseball?

I would add a mandatory announce substitution rule. Without it, coaches can & sometimes do use this to their advantage. Say Baker PHs for Charlie in the 4th inning but its not reported. Come the 6th inning same team wants to PH Baker for Daniel. You don't have Baker listed as being in the game on your lineup card. Officially, Baker has never been in the game according to your lineup card.

If this happens then there is a scorekeeper asleep somewhere.

Thats why it should be MANDATORY to report ALL subs to the umpire.

Something I've never understood:  Why, oh why, must the umpires remain STANDING throughout the entire game?  Is it really unprofessional to take a seat during the seventh inning stretch?  I was at Shea during a playoff game that went 16 innings... 6 hours long.  What is the point of making umpires stand for that period of time?  A brief sitdown should be allowed in between half innings, especially if the game goes beyond nine.

Forgive my ignorance if this is actually not a RULE.  I don't know where it's written, but it is definitely protocol.

'Cause we have to show how tough and hard (and stupid) we are.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Kevin_K
      https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2018-08-16/college-baseball-video-review-challenge-system-approved
      It seemed as though it would only be a matter of time before the IBB and no fake to third would be implemented. The changes on pitchers' positioning is going to be problematic unless there is a universal effort to enforce the new standards.
      The HBP and runners staying at their bases changes are the most interesting to me. I wonder what the penalty will be for runners leaving their bases during a defensive conference.
    • By Kevin_K
      Saw this today
      https://chsaanow.com/2018-07-05/2018-19-baseball-rules-xhanges-focus-on-pitching-mechanics/
    • By MadMax
      This past weekend, I was acting as onsite UIC, and as I was rolling the cooler full of ice, water, and towels from one field to another, replenishing the guys between innings, one of my crews had a situation happen right in front of me which I was very proud of how they handled it... without botching it or consulting me or the TD.
      R1, R2, 2 outs, X-2 count (balls not relevant). Swinging strike, pitch makes contact with the bat, and ends up... in the F2's armpit, trapped there. F2 gets up, flips the ball towards the mound, and starts trotting towards his dugout while the DT fans applaud his outstanding catch... 
      ... but was it a catch?
      The 3BC (OTHC) starts bellowing, "That's not a catch! That's not a catch! Get the rule right!" while the PU steps back, and instead of making an Out mechanic, motions and calls, "Time!". I refrained from saying anything, as much as my younger umpire-self would have liked to, instead leaving it to this crew to determine. The PU motioned in the BU, and they met just in front of the mound. At this point, both the OTHC and the DTHC are on the field, and the PU has to signal to both of them to back off and return to their dugout areas, before he resumes discussing with the BU. Of course, the DT parents are, to a person, clamoring, "But it didn't hit the ground! He caught it!" I'm standing right next to the Field Marshal (FM, an employee of the TD), telling him, "It has to be the glove first for a foul tip. If it hits anywhere else on the catcher's body, like his mask or CP, it's a foul ball."
      At that moment, the PU disengages from the BU, heads back towards the plate, and announces, "Foul ball." DTHC approaches PU while his players resume their positions, and PU gives him a brief explanation, ending with, "My UIC is standing right there (points at me), he'll tell you the same thing."
      "Play!" Next pitch is a line-out to F5. Oh well. Nicely handled, Blue!
    • By BrianC14
      Does anyone have this ?    Is it worth the $20 ?
      Thanks,

• By sd181612
      I'm watching the Astros/Angels game and Valbuena hits a ball towards right field. To me it appears that it hit the yellow line,; Davis called it a home run. Review ensues, call's overruled, double. Isn't the yellow line considered to be out of play therefore a homer? Thanks.