Bases loaded walk

loki
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3580 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

We loaded the bases and walked the next batter. As the runner on 3rd came in she stopped short and didn't touch home. She started back to the dugout. Got about 3/4 of the way but never left the field of play. Our pitcher ran over and tagged her, she continued on and touch home. Umpire allowed the run. It was just confusing and I'm not sure on the ruling. My thought is she never left the field of play. Came back touched home so run scores. Can anyone help.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

10 answers to this question

In running or sliding for home base, he fails to touch home base and makes no

attempt to return to the base, when a fielder holds the ball in his hand, while touching

home base, and appeals to the umpire for the decision.

Rule 7.08

Rule 7.08(k) Comment: This rule applies only where runner is on his way to the bench and

the catcher would be required to chase him. It does not apply to the ordinary play where the runner

misses the plate and then immediately makes an effort to touch the plate before being tagged. In that

case, runner must be tagged.

attempt to return to the base, when a fielder holds the ball in his hand, while touching

Rule 7.08

Rule 7.08(k) Comment: This rule applies only where runner is on his way to the bench and

the catcher would be required to chase him. It does not apply to the ordinary play where the runner

misses the plate and then immediately makes an effort to touch the plate before being tagged. In that

Irrelevant. This is not a missed base, this is (potentially) abandonment.

Rule 7.08

I'm "sure" she stabbed at the base and thought she touched it.  I'm "sure" she didn't leave the field thinking she was out.  ;)

Had the runner stopped at the point she did to do up a shoelace or something similar, and only stopped rather than changed direction to go to the dugout, then apart from me as the umpire urging her to worry about that in the dugout and stop holding up the game there's nothing to worry about. 

Given she headed for the dugout (doesn't really matter which side of the field given she went 3/4 of the way) she's either gone past the plate towards the 1st base dugout or cut the corner like a runner going 1st-3rd passing 2nd on the grass. She's missed the base and is out on appeal with either a tag of the base or the runner herself.

how far away does she have to go? lets say the dugout fence is down by the plate and she stops 3 steps short and the goes 3 or 4 steps toward the plate and they yell to her and she returns..at what point can the catcher appeal by touching the plate and letting you know

Rule 7.08

Irrelevant. This is not a missed base, this is (potentially) abandonment. ??????????????   Everything in my text is from the rule book.  Its not a missed base?  "As the runner on 3rd came in she stopped short and didn't touch home." What's that say??? Quit trying to be critical of others posts first. 

Irrelevant. This is not a missed base, this is (potentially) abandonment. ??????????????   Everything in my text is from the rule book.  Its not a missed base?  "As the runner on 3rd came in she stopped short and didn't touch home." What's that say??? Quit trying to be critical of others posts first.

My unsolicited advice: don't take Matt's laconic style personally. He's just economical with words, and it often reads as snark (well, sometimes it IS snark...but I don't think it is here).

My advice aside, you can't miss a base until you've passed it, which is Matt's point. A runner misses a base when he passes it without touching. A runner who "comes up short" of HP, say by 15 feet, can't possibly have missed it.

Some people start asking here whether the runner went to the 3B or 1B dugout to determine whether to rule a missed base or abandonment. I think that's hairsplitting (and I've been known to split a few myself, so I'm sensitive to the pot/kettle thing).

Abandonment is a violation when the runner leaves the bases after having touched 1B, and it must involve "obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base" (7.08(a)(2)). A runner who comes within inches of HP has not abandoned, even if he doesn't go to the 1B dugout and thus in some sense "passes" the base (and so misses it).

A runner who steps near but not on HP and then heads to the 3B dugout has missed HP, IMHO. That's what this play sounds like to me.