Broadcasters...

rjt6
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3588 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Since this specific section of the site has nothing to do with umpiring, one of the other things about baseball I am interested about is the broadcasters.  Which guy is your favorite?  Ex- Scully, Joe Buck, Jack Buck, Thom Brennaman, etc.

Naturally, Vin Scully is the gold/platinum/titanium standard. Anyone who disagrees can be ignored as the blatant idiot that they are.

After that, I think Len Kaspar from the Cubs is outstanding. I like Charley Steiner and Gary Thorne, though I still associate Gary more with hockey. Speaking of hockey, there is none better than Doc Emrick, with Pat Foley his radio equivalent. Steve Stone is an excellent color analyst, even if he's currently paired with an embarrassing assclown. And in the football realm, he may have lost a few mph on the fastball but I'll still take Brent Musberger over anyone else.

"The Hawk" from the White Sox......but only because he ticks me off and makes me want to enjoy a cold one so I can ignore what he says as dribble!  :smachhead:

Seriously, this guy is the worst and Scully is the best.

Curt Gowdy. A number of years ago, he came into the Red Sox Broadcast booth as a guest, and they asked him to do a play-by-play for a half inning. I sat back in my chair and closed my eyes: I was 12 again....

Howie Rose - but only on the radio. No one should have to see him. He has called Mets games for over 20 years and is a homer for sure, but he can speak the language, understands the game and the rules, and really seems to enjoy what he does. He did, however, break my heart when he called the Matteau goal in 94 against the Devils.

Speaking of which, Mike Emrick was their play by play guy forever, and his bizarre language never sat right with me. He made up words, like half boards, and seemed more interested in how many many words he used rather than the capturing the brutal nature of a great sport. I remember when he called games for the Flyers before his gig with the Devilas and had that silly hairpiece laying on his head like a bear skin rug in front of the fire place. I guess I just got tired of his quixotic flummery. 

Howie Rose - but only on the radio. No one should have to see him. He has called Mets games for over 20 years and is a homer for sure, but he can speak the language, understands the game and the rules, and really seems to enjoy what he does. He did, however, break my heart when he called the Matteau goal in 94 against the Devils.

Speaking of which, Mike Emrick was their play by play guy forever, and his bizarre language never sat right with me. He made up words, like half boards, and seemed more interested in how many many words he used rather than the capturing the brutal nature of a great sport. I remember when he called games for the Flyers before his gig with the Devilas and had that silly hairpiece laying on his head like a bear skin rug in front of the fire place. I guess I just got tired of his quixotic flummery. 

@Kevin_K docs finest moment and payback for Matteau.....

• Like 1

@Kevin_K docs finest moment and payback for Matteau.....

Wow - Doc jumbled a ton of words together in about 20 seconds. I couldn't broadcast hockey. Moves too fast.

Scully on the radio is something everyone needs to hear. This is where the true magic happens. He's obviously slowed down over the years, but still ain't nothin' better. Gotta put a plug in for Chick Hearn too...the greatest basketball announcer ever, and it ain't even close. About 15 years ago, Scully, Chick and Bob Miller sat down together on a local t.v. sports talk show (Carl's Jr Roundtable, I think) and talked about their careers. At that time, they had about 120 years of experience between them. The highlight was watching Vin and Chick compare championship rings, while Bob Miller showed everyone his wedding ring. Probably the best 30 minutes of television in Los Angeles sports history ;) Also, heard an amazing stat the other day...there are something like 24-25 MLB Hall of Famers who weren't born yet when Scully started in Brooklyn.