Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RICK DAGENAIS

RUNNER TOUCHES RUNNER WHILE ON BASEPATH

Question

Guest RICK DAGENAIS

HERE IS THE SITUATION: LAST INNING,  BASES LOADED, 2 OUT...  BATTER DRAWS A WALK, BEFORE HE TOUCHES FIRST ( HE JUST KIND OF STOOD JUST OUTSIDE OF BATTERS BOX, RUNNER FROM THIRD, PRIOR TO TOUCHING PLATE GRABS PLAYER WHO JUST WALKED....  ARE EITHER OF THESE PLAYERS OUT?  WAS ALWAYS TOLD THAT IF A RUNNER COMES IN CONTACT WITH ANOTHER RUNNER, THERE IS AN OUT.....   IF THIS IS THE CASE, SHOULD GAME CONTINUED?

12 answers to this question

Rick,

There is no such rule. Neither player is out.

The batter who walked does need to touch 1B for the R3's run to count.

JM

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Hi Rick. Yes the game continues . The game is not over. You did not say the score or whether it was the top or bottom of "the last inning". In your case you have 2 out, bases loaded and a walk. The contact between the two runners around home plate is not a violation. It is meaningless.

Contact between runners is not a violation. A runner could push a team mate forward or reach back and help a fallen team mate up. It may look odd but it is not a violation.

Your game is not over because 4 runners are compelled to touch there advance base

The walk created a force and each runner, including the batter/runner is out on appeal for not touching their advance base. Also, the batter/ runner is out for desertion if he does not touch 1st base or at least pass by 1st base. No run can ever score when the 3rd out is at 1st base before the batter/runner touches 1st base. Also, no run can ever score when the 3rd out is a force out. An appeal of any missed base in your case is a force out. So, the game is not over. I can not tell you if the game continues because you did not give me top or bottom of inning or the score. As a side note, there is a very well known scenario called Merkle's boner. Merkle was a rookie playing for the New York Giants. He was on 1st base in the bottom of the ninth. The batter hit a ball to drive in the winning run vs the Cubs. Merkle celebrated instead of running to 2nd base. The crowd thought the game was over . The fans exited the ball park through center field at the Polo Grounds in New York. With the crowd on the diamond the Cubs appealed to legendary umpire O'Day that Merkle had not touched 2nd base when forced to do so with 2 outs. O' Day called Merkle out. The game was suspended and then lost by the Giants when resumed. They lost the pennant by 1 game.

Hope this helps.

Just a little clean up of facts. The game was not suspended but declared a 1-1 tie. The Giants and Cubs ended the season tied. The Cubs win the 1 game playoff and beat Ty Cobb 's Tigers in the a World Seties in 1908. It was the last time the Cubs won a World Series.

Hi Rick. Yes the game continues . The game is not over. You did not say the score or whether it was the top or bottom of "the last inning". In your case you have 2 out, bases loaded and a walk. The contact between the two runners around home plate is not a violation. It is meaningless.

Contact between runners is not a violation. A runner could push a team mate forward or reach back and help a fallen team mate up. It may look odd but it is not a violation.

Your game is not over because 4 runners are compelled to touch there advance base

The walk created a force and each runner, including the batter/runner is out on appeal for not touching their advance base. Also, the batter/ runner is out for desertion if he does not touch 1st base or at least pass by 1st base. No run can ever score when the 3rd out is at 1st base before the batter/runner touches 1st base. Also, no run can ever score when the 3rd out is a force out. An appeal of any missed base in your case is a force out. So, the game is not over. I can not tell you if the game continues because you did not give me top or bottom of inning or the score. As a side note, there is a very well known scenario called Merkle's boner. Merkle was a rookie playing for the New York Giants. He was on 1st base in the bottom of the ninth. The batter hit a ball to drive in the winning run vs the Cubs. Merkle celebrated instead of running to 2nd base. The crowd thought the game was over . The fans exited the ball park through center field at the Polo Grounds in New York. With the crowd on the diamond the Cubs appealed to legendary umpire O'Day that Merkle had not touched 2nd base when forced to do so with 2 outs. O' Day called Merkle out. The game was suspended and then lost by the Giants when resumed. They lost the pennant by 1 game.

Hope this helps.

Merkle was out because the ball was hit into play. With the bases loaded all runners need to advance if the ball is hit into play. This is about a BB. With the bases loaded in OBR only R3 and the batter need to advance if it's ball four or a HBP.  In FED all runners need to advance.

• Like 2

Why must R-3 touch his advance base?

Why must the batter/ runner touch his advance base ?

Batter/ runner is out for desertion if he does not advance to 1st base. Batter/runner is out on appeal if he does not touch 1st base.

R-3 is compelled to advance to home because he is forced. If R-3 misses home heavies out on appeal. If R-3 does not advance to home he is out for abandonment.

Why would R-1 and R-2 be free to not advance and touch their advance base since they are forced by the walk.

They are forced no matter how the batter transitions from batter to batter/runner.

It could be a dropped third strike

I see no difference between a batted ball and a batter becoming a batter/runner by walk, dropped third strike, hit by pitch, catcher interference.

Please give me a rule reference.

I am happy to be wrong and get it right.

Watching Texas vs Houston

Do not want to get up and look for rule book

You are saying Fed. Is different than obr

Why does Fed. Say all must advance and why does Obr say only batter/runner and R-3 only

All 3 base runners are consecutive runners

How can they not be forced? Batter/runner is not forced but he is compelled to advance to 1st base

I actually will not be happy to be wrong but I will be grateful to learn the rule correctly if I am wrong

Humility is a good thing. Hope everyone has a great weekend calling ball and watching super regionals

Why must R-3 touch his advance base?

Why must the batter/ runner touch his advance base ?

Batter/ runner is out for desertion if he does not advance to 1st base. Batter/runner is out on appeal if he does not touch 1st base.

R-3 is compelled to advance to home because he is forced. If R-3 misses home heavies out on appeal. If R-3 does not advance to home he is out for abandonment.

Why would R-1 and R-2 be free to not advance and touch their advance base since they are forced by the walk.

They are forced no matter how the batter transitions from batter to batter/runner.

It could be a dropped third strike

I see no difference between a batted ball and a batter becoming a batter/runner by walk, dropped third strike, hit by pitch, catcher interference.

Please give me a rule reference.

I am happy to be wrong and get it right.

Watching Texas vs Houston

Do not want to get up and look for rule book

You are saying Fed. Is different than obr

Why does Fed. Say all must advance and why does Obr say only batter/runner and R-3 only

All 3 base runners are consecutive runners

How can they not be forced? Batter/runner is not forced but he is compelled to advance to 1st base

I actually will not be happy to be wrong but I will be grateful to learn the rule correctly if I am wrong

Humility is a good thing. Hope everyone has a great weekend calling ball and watching super regionals

Because that is what the rule says!

What rule?

4.09 (b) When the winning run is scored in the last half-inning of a regulation game, or in the last half of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full which forces the runner on third to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home base and the batter-runner has touched first base.

So to end the game only R3 and the B-R need to advance. Once the game has ended there cannot be anyone else put out. OK?

Guest Sayhey

Ok. Thank you sir. I did not know that

Fed is different right. Fed want mets eveyone to touch their advance base right? What about a dropped thistles strike? Does everyone need to touch their advance base. I appreciate the help

This site is fantastic. Have a great weekend

Ok. Thank you sir. I did not know that

Fed is different right. Fed want mets eveyone to touch their advance base right? What about a dropped thistles strike? Does everyone need to touch their advance base. I appreciate the help

This site is fantastic. Have a great weekend

For FED, any game-ending play will require all runners to touch their advance bases, regardless.

Don't know about thistles: suggest you ask Eeyore.

eeyoretitle.jpg

Guest Sayhey

Maven, you are my favorite on this site. You have a good sense of humor. Texting while not focused is not a good idea. Thanks for the humor

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this