Annoyed

tankmjg24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3568 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had 2 ejections in a 14U championship game today. First came after manager comes out to argue and finishes with telling me "you are not worthy enough to umpire our games". Next was the assistant coach (acting as replacement manager) telling me that "your partner and you are full of SH*# today". Best part though is both coaches feel as if they said and did nothing wrong and that I need thicker skin. The sad thing is some who run the park feel the same way. Sad

Both sound like solid ejections to me.  Perhaps they weren't worthy of coaching this game?

I am grateful to not have to work for tournament directors like I read about here, including people who seem to think coaches should be able to act like this.

Unfortunately guys the cold, hard truth is:

1. A lot of youth level umpires, and high school level in some places are horseSH*# umpires. No training. Not enough experience and incomplete rules knowledge. Egos bigger than the game.

2. Many youth level coaches are horseSH*# as coaches. Not enough, if any, coaching training. Not enough experience. Little to no rules knowledge. Egos bigger than the game itself. Father of one or more of their players.

See a trend here?

3. Then we have the tourney and league organizers, directors and officers. Same issues as above.

4. PLUS the money factor. Those with a lot of it feel entitled and think rules don't apply to them (i.e. Travel ball coaches). Those trying to make a lot of it via youth baseball (TD's and League Admins-also umpires working too many games over a weekend thus tired and not at their best mentally or physically) have a serious disconnect with the principles and overarching goals of the GAME of baseball where money, winning and sportsmanship intersect.

So, that's my opinion and .02. Your opinions mileage may vary.

• Like 4

@Majordave - too true. There are as many horsehit umpires as there are horseSH*# coaches. It still amazes me how many guys I meet that actually believe some of the mythical 'rules' . And these fkrs think they're the best umps ever to wear a cp. It's sad, really.

• Like 3

@

Not talking about you Rook.  If you are gonna call yourself an umpire learn to discriminate who is the subject of the comment.  You are on here.  You obviously want to get better and  be professional in your efforts.  I am talking about the know-it-all's who have never been trained and have no interest in being trained or learning.

• Like 1

@

Not talking about you Rook. If you are gonna call yourself an umpire learn to discriminate who is the subject of the comment. You are on here. You obviously want to get better and be professional in your efforts. I am talking about the know-it-all's who have never been trained and have no interest in being trained or learning.

I wasn't assuming you ment all, I just added that in because I felt it should be said that many leagues have started to train their youth umps and the arrogent ones amoung us youngsters have been weeded out in some leagues, sorry if my comment upset you the intent was to note the implied variety of us young umps

I missed your meaning.  No worries.  Written words are often misunderstood.  Keep working, reading, digesting, learning and asking questions.  At your age young rookie the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

However, be aware that although there are no stupid questions, there are stupid people who ask a lot  of questions.  Make sure you know which one you are.

• Like 2

I missed your meaning. No worries. Written words are often misunderstood. Keep working, reading, digesting, learning and asking questions. At your age young rookie the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

However, be aware that although there are no stupid questions, there are stupid people who ask a lot of questions. Make sure you know which one you are.

I will admit one thing of the 10 youth umps we had in my first year 3 of us still work,

I get stuck with alot of either new umps or young umps cause they want me to work with them to get them better. I have to say that most of them are horrible. I get that you are not going to be a pro and neither am I but you have to read the rule book and know what you are doing so I dont have to clean up your mess.

• Like 1

@Majordave - too true. There are as many horsehit umpires as there are horseSH*# coaches. It still amazes me how many guys I meet that actually believe some of the mythical 'rules' . And these fkrs think they're the best umps ever to wear a cp. It's sad, really.

I thought you were going to agree with the "umpires doing too many games in a weekend...." part. 

Phew...  :stir

I get stuck with alot of either new umps or young umps cause they want me to work with them to get them better. I have to say that most of them are horrible. I get that you are not going to be a pro and neither am I but you have to read the rule book and know what you are doing so I dont have to clean up your mess.

Where us young umpires wind up on the scale depends on 2 things, what we are taught but more importantly work ethic too many of us you umps half @$$ the job and expect to go somewhere, the only reason I get the respect I do as a younger ump is because I work my tail off, coaches and my partners respect me because I put in 110% but to some of my fellow young umps they would rather do as little as they can and still be paid, they don't value the respect if coaches, parents, players, and colleagues enough to work hard and I cant stand them because they give all young umps a bad wrap, even though plenty of us work our tails off

@ - I would take issue with the list of whom you value respect from. I value the opinions of my peers, mentor, and assignors. Players, coaches, fans, etc can go suck eggs. I dont do what I do to GET repsect. I do it to GIVE repsect. For the game I love and that has meant so much to me all my life.

The young ones you speak of don't respect the game.

Remember, that coach that 'respects' you and sings your praises is one critical out from calling you the worst umpire ever. You have one friend on the field......your partner.

• Like 5

@ - I would take issue with the list of whom you value respect from. I value the opinions of my peers, mentor, and assignors. Players, coaches, fans, etc can go suck eggs. I dont do what I do to GET repsect. I do it to GIVE repsect. For the game I love and that has meant so much to me all my life.

Remember, that coach that 'respects' you and sings your praises is one critical out from calling you the worst umpire ever. You have one friend on the field......your partner.

Preach, brother Jocko, preach!

• Like 2

Thats a fair point,

All coaches should be forced to take Umpire training.  Anyone who runs a league should be forced to sign a document stating they will back the umpires in situations like this. 

I said this to one of my fellow umpires on the weekend and he actually brought up a great point that I'd never thought about: when a coach is an umpire, they know ways to exploit the 2-man system. And he had a great example about a coach he'd worked games for.

In games the team was losing or that were close late, if coach had a runner on 2nd, he'd get the BR to bunt up the first base line--knowing that PU is going up the line watching for fair/foul, runner's lane violations, etc., while U1 is moving from P4 over to make the call at 1st. R2 would then cut the corner at third by a good five feet, getting a huge head start on the way home.

Other team would appeal, but nobody would be able to make that call since they didn't see it.

So it has upsides and downsides.

All coaches should be forced to take Umpire training. Anyone who runs a league should be forced to sign a document stating they will back the umpires in situations like this.

I said this to one of my fellow umpires on the weekend and he actually brought up a great point that I'd never thought about: when a coach is an umpire, they know ways to exploit the 2-man system. And he had a great example about a coach he'd worked games for.

In games the team was losing or that were close late, if coach had a runner on 2nd, he'd get the BR to bunt up the first base line--knowing that PU is going up the line watching for fair/foul, runner's lane violations, etc., while U1 is moving from P4 over to make the call at 1st. R2 would then cut the corner at third by a good five feet, getting a huge head start on the way home.

Other team would appeal, but nobody would be able to make that call since they didn't see it.

So it has upsides and downsides.The way to make coaches stop going at umps is to make it mandatory for coaches to go to Justin Beiber concerts once per ejection they'll hate it sooo much they will never say disrespectful word to an ump again

• Like 1

Yep!  No shortage of ego and hubris in the random, untrained youth umpire corps.

Worked as a last minute fill in last night for Cal Ripken.  Was watching another game and got asked to help.  I umpire there less than 5 times per year when the UIC gets in a pinch (he is a good guy doing the best he can with his resources)

I had the bases.  Was walking to field with the HP umpire - who I had never met before?

Me: So, do you pretty much do the normal 2 man rotations?

Him: What?

Me: When are you going to come up and take calls at third

Him: I am the home plate guy.  I have the calls at home.  If you need help on something, just point.

Me: What about fly balls?

Him: What about them?

Me: Do you want to take all fly balls and I will take the touches?

Him: Look man, I have home plate, you call the fly balls.  It is not that hard.

Me: OK, at least help me on flies down the line if I am in the middle

I guess this "pre-game" accomplished what I needed it to accomplish - I knew I had everything!!

I agree I could care less if a coach, players or parents like me or respect me, there view on me will change with every call I make. Young umps have to read the rule book to get better. 

Now I will say this I will take a young ump who does not know the rules over a old ump who thinks he knows the rules and is wrong. 

• Like 1