hidden ball trick

dumbdumb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3337 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

here it is

Wasn't there some post from a coach about what to do (to get rid of the umpire) about what he perceived as bad umpiring regardless of if it were true (and let's say it was for sake of argument) or not, and ump45 asked what we can do about poor baseball playing.

Well, here it is. Got him out and we are using a much more recognizable pitcher completely off the mound rather than a much more literal interpretation (and much harder for the player to catch) of on or astride the rubber. Can we get this player, team, base coaches and head coach out of the league for plays like this?? Oh well, guess things only go one way. Getting rid of umpires.

here it is

Wasn't there some post from a coach about what to do (to get rid of the umpire) about what he perceived as bad umpiring regardless of if it were true (and let's say it was for sake of argument) or not, and ump45 asked what we can do about poor baseball playing.

Well, here it is. Got him out and we are using a much more recognizable pitcher completely off the mound rather than a much more literal interpretation (and much harder for the player to catch) of on or astride the rubber. Can we get this player, team, base coaches and head coach out of the league for plays like this?? Oh well, guess things only go one way. Getting rid of umpires.

In NCAA the pitcher has to be off the dirt.

Why is there a problem with the umpires, players, coaches, etc.?  It's a time-honored play. Legal all the way.

NCAA:  Rosin from the bag may not be applied to the glove or to any part of the pitcher’s uniform. PENALTY—Warning on the first offense; ejection from the game on the second offense.

Do you have to call time to issue a warning?  Cite.

BUT!  I don't think it was in the  glove. I think it was in the pitcher's right hand and he dropped it to make the runner think he had the ball. If you watch you will see that only the pitcher's left hand is in view appearing to tie his shoe. The right hand is nowhere to be seen. Can you tie your shoe with one hand? And any pitcher at that level would know he couldn't pit the bag into his glove. Excellent fake.

“It is a balk if a pitcher does not have the ball but assists in a try to deceive a runner by

being on or astride the rubber, [8.05 Approved Ruling-a]feigning a pitching position or pitch [8.05i], orputting the rosin bag in his glove to make it appear he has the ball.

If you watch closely, his right hand is fake tying his shoe. It is clearly visible that the rosin bag is in the glove.

1) Don't quote a OBR rule for an NCAA game.

2) The pitcher was off the dirt (as required in NCAA rules) so he couldn't be on or astride the rubber anyhow.

3) The right hand is nowhere to be seen.

4) The ball is not visible in the glove.

Nice try though.   :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

“It is a balk if a pitcher does not have the ball but assists in a try to deceive a runner by

being on or astride the rubber, [8.05 Approved Ruling-a]feigning a pitching position or pitch [8.05i], orputting the rosin bag in his glove to make it appear he has the ball.

If you watch closely, his right hand is fake tying his shoe. It is clearly visible that the rosin bag is in the glove.

Not in NCAA.

In Baltimore Hiler said call time when the rosin is in the glove, tell them they can't do it. Calling time prevents you from getting into a situation where they actually try to complete the play. Further, he said this ruling is straight from Paronto; not in this year's rule book, but treat it as if it were.

In Chicago they said they were going to issue an interpretation that would make this illegal. That's all well and good, but I still have never seen what rule would make this illegal. They said it is unsportsmanlike and deceptive.

• Like 1

In Chicago they said they were going to issue an interpretation that would make this illegal. That's all well and good, but I still have never seen what rule would make this illegal. They said it is unsportsmanlike and deceptive.

In Baltimore Hiler said call time when the rosin is in the glove, tell them they can't do it. Calling time prevents you from getting into a situation where they actually try to complete the play. Further, he said this ruling is straight from Paronto; not in this year's rule book, but treat it as if it were.

I agree with zm.  Hiler mentioned that piece in Chicago too, but not as an official mechanic...are you sure you heard it correctly?  

I agree with zm.  Hiler mentioned that piece in Chicago too, but not as an official mechanic...are you sure you heard it correctly?  

Yes; don't think he could have been any clearer.

I guess I just don't understand why we should stop them from doing something that is not prohibited by rule. Personally I don't care for it, but I have a hard time just subjectively applying personal feelings to stuff like this when it isn't explicitly against the rules.