Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Sign in to follow this  
D62 blue

diamond dfm ump mask

i have had the diamond dfm ump , light weight mask for several years . really like it , i know that many on this group have hated the stock pads for a variety of reasons . and seems almost everyone changed to one type or another of thicker leather pads . which also increase the weight significantly . i dont have a complaint about the stock pads per say , however last fall i did buy and change to a thicker leather (markwort 3MPLV) pad , based on all the posts here . they were on a blowout sale from online , normally 39.00 for 15.00 or so . after getting the mask all set up , i realized that due to the extra thickness (padding) , that the mask now "rode" much higher on my face . i tried several adjustments , but didnt make much difference . i worked several gms and wasnt comfortable with the vision out of the mask . i have a large head , i wear a fitted cap 73/4-77/8 size . and the mask barely would fit around the back of my head , and so the mask sits , unless i put back in the stock pads . i thought about maybe a different (larger) harness , if such a product exsist , but it would still sit higher on the bill of my cap , due to the thicker pads . i have other masks to wear including the newest allstar (FM2000) which btw has been great !!!! my ?? has anyone had any similar experiences ( fitting) with the diamond (black/silver version) , and has anyone kept the stock pads and taken any hard hits or other negative issues ? IMHO the diamond masks dont seem to be designed to have thicker pads , especially if you have a larger head size ? also anyone with allstar FM2000 , how do you like this mask so far ?? as of this date this is my main mask , i have taken several hard shots HS varsity and below , without any issues . thanks brad from allstar !!!

d62 blue

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I just bought the two-tone wrap-around pads that Ump-Attire has for $24.99. I didn't really notice a weight issue or a fit issue. Obviously it feels a little different because there's more padding, but in the 5-6 games I've worn it, it's felt fine. Now, I don't have a big head like you - only 7 1/4, so maybe that makes a difference. As for taking shots with the stock pads, I guess I never took a really hard hit, but I had some good ones - my mask just spun off like it should. I'm sure I'm more protected from a direct center hit, but other than that, I don't feel a lot safer...

I just bought the two-tone wrap-around pads that Ump-Attire has for $24.99. I didn't really notice a weight issue or a fit issue. Obviously it feels a little different because there's more padding, but in the 5-6 games I've worn it, it's felt fine. Now, I don't have a big head like you - only 7 1/4, so maybe that makes a difference. As for taking shots with the stock pads, I guess I never took a really hard hit, but I had some good ones - my mask just spun off like it should. I'm sure I'm more protected from a direct center hit, but other than that, I don't feel a lot safer...

I did the same. When I did use the original pads, they felt so uncomfortable on my chin. With the Wilsons, I feel more protected, and the leather feels so much cooler and softer on my jaw than the cactus that is the stock pad.

iam sure that my big melon isnt helping with this pad/mask issue . as far as the stock pads bothering my beard or chin , this doesnt seem to be noticeable ?

d62 blue

Not all mask pads are the same. I have not tested your Markwort pads, but I did compare eleven replacement pads in a recent Midwest Ump review. The eleven pads fit a little differently in the Diamond “test†mask, but all of the Wilson wrap around pads have a similar fit.

The heaviest pads I tested were an astounding 9.5 ounces! The Diamond iX3 pads tied for the lightest at 2.5 ounces. Even Wilson wrap around pads weigh differently at 7, 7.5 and 5 ounces. The wrap around pads sold by Ump-Attire and purchased by ukce1861 weigh 5 ounces, are priced reasonably, are very comfortable, and fit the iX3 pretty well. I use these pads in my mask of choice, the Champro magnesium model.

As for the All-Star FM2000UMP, I like it a lot and recommend it for a hollow core steel mask. The video testing by All-Star is impressive, but I have not taken foul balls off this mask. I am also somewhat concerned about its design that fits the mask tighter against the forehead. I worry that this design will transfer more impact force to the forehead and prevent the mask from spinning.

Hope this info helps,

Pete

pete thanks for the info , i think my head size is too BIG . im afraid to buy another leather pad style , without being able to try in person . btw thanks for the hot internet deal of the week last week . i got in on the deal from modell's (i think) sporting goods , for the diamond ump silver mask , $48.00 !!!!! that is the best deal on a great mask no doubt

. here locally in my area , in may i think , a new supplier will open a real store . maybe i can see what they have and find something else . at least the markwort pads were"nt a lot $$$ . and they are really thick , with a lot of padding . if i have time later i may take a photo and post .

d62 blue

Have you tried the All Star LUC pads on the Diamond. I think that they should fit. www.baseballplusstore.com carrys All Star replacement parts at a good price.

I have a All Star FM2000 and I really like it a lot. I now wear nothing but All Star masks. I like the fit for my face shape and the vision that they provide. I also feel that they do testing that others do not. Confidence in your equipment is key. If the others do the same testing they have not published them to the masses. I have heard too many stories about other high quality gear not standing up to the expected conditions. IMO a mask should be designed to withstand a 90 mph ball without bending.

iam sure that my big melon isnt helping with this pad/mask issue . as far as the stock pads bothering my beard or chin , this doesnt seem to be noticeable ?

d62 blue

Sometimes this was a problem and sometimes it wasn't. It seemed to get better over time but, especially when I first got it, there were times when I felt like the pads were made out of sandpaper.

i have attached photos of my DFM UMP with the markwort leather pads . they are quite thick , great padding !!! with the right mask/head/face combo (not mine) . i like the idea of the FM2000 allstar pads , since i have this mask i can give it a shot . btw any one want to but this set-up ?? maybe someone in my local area , so cal . i know there some on this board . well i tried to upload the jpeg files (photos) from my desk top , it failed every time ? any help , maybe they are too big (resolution) ? on the old version i was able to upload with out any trouble .

d62 blue

I got cracked in the jaw just once with the original pads. That was enough to know they were junk. I could actually feel where the frame came through and nailed me. There are a lot of makers that use the same style frame and pads, and each one I've swapped them out for traditional, leather pads.

I tried the wraparounds, and honestly, they offer less padding, or protection, than the older style ones. I don't get the attraction, aside that MLB guys wear them.

I look for the amount of padding, and amount of contact area to my face. I like the energy to be spread out over a large area,

Kyle, what are you using for a replacement mask pad? I prefer the Wilson a3009x pads in the Champro Magnesium; and the Team Wendy pads in the Diamond iX3 for my back-up rig.

Pete

Kyle, what are you using for a replacement mask pad? I prefer the Wilson a3009x pads in the Champro Magnesium; and the Team Wendy pads in the Diamond iX3 for my back-up rig.

Pete

Pete,

I've got the Markwort leather pads in my Champro, and the rounded Deerskin WV pads in the silver Diamond. I don't care for the fit of the squared off Wilsons in my face, but my son loves them. Everybody's different.

pete thanks for the info , i think my head size is too BIG . im afraid to buy another leather pad style , without being able to try in person . btw thanks for the hot internet deal of the week last week . i got in on the deal from modell's (i think) sporting goods , for the diamond ump silver mask , $48.00 !!!!! that is the best deal on a great mask no doubt

. here locally in my area , in may i think , a new supplier will open a real store . maybe i can see what they have and find something else . at least the markwort pads were"nt a lot $$$ . and they are really thick , with a lot of padding . if i have time later i may take a photo and post .

d62 blue

ran a search on the moddell's deal and diamond ump silver mask and came up empty... can you help me out.. i'd love to have a silver/black mask to add to the collection!

The Modell's sale has expired. It was a two day 40% off with free shipping sale March 9-10.

Pete

pete that was a great tip on the modell's sale , for the diamond silver mask , i couldn't resist buying one for that price . i have been using the diamond silver for the last 4-5 gms . and have tried the allstar LUC pads , in place of the stock diamond pads . this is a great fit for me !!!!! i took a point blank shot (JV gm) into the mask the other night , catcher missed the pitch as batter was swinging . i am going to buy another set of the LUC pads , to permanently use in the diamond .

the impact had no ill effect on my head/face . mask just spun around a little . the LUC (allstar) pads are the ticket for anyone who wants another option , instead of the various leather pads on the market .

marc