"In the Zone"

law_reb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3626 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Last week I felt like I was off my game a little bit behind the plate for a playoff game.  I never felt comfortable, and knew that I missed some pitches.  Some strikes that I balled and balls that I called strikes.  I felt like I especially struggled with the top of my zone.  I didn't have any particular reason that I could come up with, but I was disappointed with myself.  Of course, my partners said I was solid, because no one ever wants to be honest with you when you suck.  I have had a few non-high school games since then and have really tried to focus back in and get control of my zone.  Last night I had the plate on game 1 of the 6A North Half Finals(State Semifinal) best of 3 series.  When I got the assignment I was both excited and nervous.  I was excited that my assignor had the confidence in me to give me the game, but nervous because of what I felt to be a lackluster performance last week.  In addition, my partners were two guys who are almost always "plate" guys for big games.  They have both called plates for multiple state finals games.  I got to the field a few minutes prior to when I knew my partners would and just took a walk around the field and talked to myself a bit to try to clear my head of everything else going on in everyday life.  Had a good pregame with my partners who were both excited for me to get this game.  Went to the field with confindence.  From the first pitch I felt like I was in the zone.  It was though the baseball was a beach ball coming at me I was seeing it so clearly.  The only pitch I heard a complaint on all night was an inside fastball the catcher shifted late on and squeezed me out on a 1-2 count.  I balled it, the catcher held it for that extra 1/2 second, and got a little noise from the dugout.  After the game both partners told me multiple times they thought I had an outstanding game.  I hadn't had that feeling of being "in the zone" for a weeks and it felt good to have it back.  That was most likely the last game of the high school season for me.  The only possible assignment left would be a State Finals series next week.  Our association gets one game assignment, so our 3 best will head to Jackson.  I am hopeful to be in the group, but we have several very good umpires who are deserving.  I was glad I got to redeem myself for what I thought was a disappointing game and end the season on a good note.            

• Like 1