Clinic/Camp Recommendations

hill2933
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3550 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am looking for a clinic that covers the two man system (primarily wouldn't mind a intro to three man but won't see that any time soon.) I am in Kentucky but am willing to travel within driving distance. Anyone have any recommendations? I am just in my second year of HS ball and just started working varsity so I don't want to get in over my head too soon. Thanks

Gotta put in a plug for my man Jason Blackburn and his Mid-American Umpires camp in Springfield, MO. Great set of instructors and facilities. Advertised here on U-E. Several of his instructors are guys I have the pleasure of working with and for.

• Like 3

I've heard really good things about the Mid-American Umpire Clinic. I really want to go sometime. I've read a lot of things Midamump has written on here and have learned a lot from him already. As willing as he's been to post on here and the cost of the clinic being $200 I have to think that's a good clinic. Hopefully I can save up some money this year or next year.

Wow!  Looks like I need to be paying some of these guys for their comments.

@hill2933 - PM me if you have questions.  I'll be happy to give you advice...even if it directs you to a different clinic than mine.

Thanks I have been asking around my association too and several of the senior guys picked up on the idea and a local camp is now in the works. If it doesn't work out I will be booking my trip to Springfield. It is definitely on the list for the future too.

Jason came down and did a mini clinic for our local park and HS association last fall.  Definitely worth the time and money.  He is a great instructor and very knowledgeable.  One of these days I will get up to Springfield for his bigger camp.

I was considering both Mid-American and Southern.  Really want to go to one.  The airfare from the northeast to either is killing me though.  :/

Hitchhiking is free!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the Mid-Am clinic last year and thought it was WELL worth the money.  The Doane camp is about 2-3 hours closer to my area and many of the guys in my association go there, and I haven't heard anything bad about it either.

I'm signed up for the Florida Collegiate Umpires clinic in June.  I'll report back on how it goes.

I went last year. Good clinic.

You going for 2 weeks?

I'm signed up for the Florida Collegiate Umpires clinic in June.  I'll report back on how it goes.

You going for 2 weeks?

I'm going for the weekend of the actual clinic and then I'll see if I can do the second week of the game evals.  Unfortunately I have training that I can't miss for my "real" job during the first week of evals.

You going for 2 weeks?

I'm going for the weekend of the actual clinic and then I'll see if I can do the second week of the game evals.  Unfortunately I have training that I can't miss for my "real" job during the first week of evals.

They will work with your schedule. And they will pay for the games you umpire.

You going for 2 weeks?

They will work with your schedule. And they will pay for the games you umpire.

I plan on working as many games as I can during that second week.

Weird coincidence! I just got a call from from one of the clinicians at that camp. They want me to come down that second week and tryout for the collegiate league.

• Like 1

Weird coincidence! I just got a call from from one of the clinicians at that camp. They want me to come down that second week and tryout for the collegiate league.

@JaxRolo Mustve been a wrong number

That is wrong! I would never treat you this way!!! :wave:  :smachhead:

• Like 1

Awesome for you!  I just assume one of two things will happen after they see me, I'll be barred from umpiring ever again or I'll be made the head umpire for the organization.  :meditation:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Bruce Doane clinic in Grand Rapids, MI is very good.

You don't say where in KY: Springfield will be closer to Paducah, but Grand Rapids is closer to Lexington or Louisville...

Just sent in my deposit for this clinic.  It will be the 1st one I attend (only 3rd year "back" umpiring).  Excited to have a couple of days of in depth instruction. 

• Like 1