Stupid, just plain stupid!

Kevin_K
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3630 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So on Thursday, the NJ governing body -NJSIAA - made the brilliant decision that players and umpires could not wear sunglasses on the brim of their caps while on the field.

:ranton:

Another interesting way to inject umpires and rule enforcement into situations that make us seem petty and OOO's.

I understand that the many eye injuries that have occured from glasses flying off the players' hat brims while double plays are broken up and when catchers get freight trained are numerous enough to spur the action, but now I can no longer wear my glasses anywhere but on my face.

I suppose this might impact the speed of the game, as players will now need to request time to get their glasses from the dugout, but if I refuse their request, and they get drilled with the ball, the next time they will remember to not only bring their glasses onto the field, but they will wear them only in the manner in which the manufacturer(s) expect.

:rantoff:

Thank you for your time. Good day sir.

• Like 1

So on Thursday, the NJ governing body -NJSIAA - made the brilliant decision that players and umpires could not wear sunglasses on the brim of their caps while on the field.

:ranton:

Another interesting way to inject umpires and rule enforcement into situations that make us seem petty and OOO's.

I understand that the many eye injuries that have occured from glasses flying off the players' hat brims while double plays are broken up and when catchers get freight trained are numerous enough to spur the action, but now I can no longer wear my glasses anywhere but on my face.

I suppose this might impact the speed of the game, as players will now need to request time to get their glasses from the dugout, but if I refuse their request, and they get drilled with the ball, the next time they will remember to not only bring their glasses onto the field, but they will wear them only in the manner in which the manufacturer(s) expect.

:rantoff:

Thank you for your time. Good day sir.

I'm guessing there is some kind of study somewhere, but now the players in the MLB should take heed. I'm thinking this rule may just save numerous lives. HUH?

PBUC states that umpires wearing sunglasses on top of their hat-brim is unprofessional and not permitted...Granted HS ball is not MiLB, but I tend to agree.

As for the players...I agree with OP 100%.  That rule is just bizarre.

Almost every high school field that I work at has the first base umpire facing directly into the sun if it is played around the six to seven time period. I wear them and then put them on my hat afterwards. And one has the field arranged to where the catcher and umpire are looking directly into the sun when looking down the third base line. I wear them and then give them to my partner when the sun finally gets behind the mountain.

PBUC states that umpires wearing sunglasses on top of their hat-brim is unprofessional and not permitted...Granted HS ball is not MiLB, but I tend to agree.

Almost every high school field that I work at has the first base umpire facing directly into the sun if it is played around the six to seven time period. I wear them and then put them on my hat afterwards. And one has the field arranged to where the catcher and umpire are looking directly into the sun when looking down the third base line. I wear them and then give them to my partner when the sun finally gets behind the mountain.

WTF does your partner do with them??

So I see our NJ HS plate meetings going something like this. ---

1. 3 paragraph soliloquy on unsporting behavior, reminding them there is no tolerance for remarks involving  race, sexual preference,, religion, ethnicity, and on and on..

2.   then  remind everyone of the new directive of nobody in the fence opening of the bench area, and nobody hanging over the fence in the dugout, and adult base coaches must also wear helmets

3.  ask both coaches if teams are legally equipped

4. remind them no jewelry,  no eyeblack other than a straight line under the eye (without a team logo in the eyeblack, BTW), ...oh yeah and no sunglasses on your hat!!...

5. That about covers it guys. OK...let's have a good game.....

.....wait!! We forgot ground rules and lineups! ...No time for that now..it's getting dark, let's hurry it up.  :shakehead:

• Like 1

So I see our NJ HS plate meetings going something like this. ---

1. 3 paragraph soliloquy on unsporting behavior, reminding them there is no tolerance for remarks involving  race, sexual preference,, religion, ethnicity, and on and on..

2.   then  remind everyone of the new directive of nobody in the fence opening of the bench area, and nobody hanging over the fence in the dugout, and adult base coaches must also wear helmets

3.  ask both coaches if teams are legally equipped

4. remind them no jewelry,  no eyeblack other than a straight line under the eye (without a team logo in the eyeblack, BTW), ...oh yeah and no sunglasses on your hat!!...

5. That about covers it guys. OK...let's have a good game.....

.....wait!! We forgot ground rules and lineups! ...No time for that now..it's getting dark, let's hurry it up.  :shakehead:

Don't forget your MC fetish.

• Like 1

I have always thought that sunglasses on one's hat (as an umpire) looks quite Smitty-ish. My association forbids wearing them in this manner. But we have no state regulation on what a player does with his. Just more BS for you guys to police.

• Like 1

I have always thought that sunglasses on one's hat (as an umpire) looks quite Smitty-ish. My association forbids wearing them in this manner. But we have no state regulation on what a player does with his. Just more BS for you guys to police.

Sorry, I disagree..... Living here in Sunny AZ, I am never without my Oakleys and put them on my hat working or not, when I don't feel I need them. I have plenty of instances where I've taken them off when the clouds roll in only to have to put them right back on half an inning later. Pretty common sight around here.

Sorry, I disagree..... Living here in Sunny AZ, I am never without my Oakleys and put them on my hat working or not, when I don't feel I need them. I have plenty of instances where I've taken them off when the clouds roll in only to have to put them right back on half an inning later. Pretty common sight around here.

I agree. Anyone notice Mr. Culbreth had them on his hat during the pregame conference tonight before he was working the plate.

I can understand needing them on your person, but why not use Dash's suggestion of pocket, or in your belt on your back ? That's what we do here, as well.

I can understand needing them on your person, but why not use Dash's suggestion of pocket, or in your belt on your back ? That's what we do here, as well.

I don't put them in pockets.... The lenses get smudges or scratches.

I think this is one of those nit-pickey items that isn't worth worrying about.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So let's make sure our shoes are shined, pants pressed, clean shirt, the stripes on shirts match the widths of your partners shirt, and let's make sure we wear our sunglasses on the brim of the cap.

• Like 3

So let's make sure our shoes are shined, pants pressed, clean shirt, the stripes on shirts match the widths of your partners shirt, and let's make sure we wear our sunglasses on the brim of the cap.

I don't think it's an appearance issue.... IMHO

WTF does your partner do with them??

Puts them on the brim of his hat? What else? ha

I put mine on the back of my neck (facing backwards) inside the collar. They are very secure (Oakley type glasses), almost invisible, and I forget they are there.