foot positioning in stretch position

Guest jodibuck
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3663 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest jodibuck

NFHS baseball: Our local high school assigner has advised our umpires that the non-pivot foot has to be within the width of the 24 inch pitching rubber.  Is this correct? If so, when did this rule change? 

The NFHS rules powerpoint is confusing as it also shows this in their diagram.    I have been umpiring many years and the rule has always been the non-pivot foot has to be in front of the front edge of the pitcher's plate and the pivot foot has to be within the width of the pitcher's plate (we fudge on that one too).  I think our assigner is getting the NCAA rule mixed up with NFHS.

4 answers to this question

jodi,

Your local assigner is mistaken.

The only constraint on the non-pivot foot is that it be entirely in front of the line extending through the front edge of the  pitcher's plate when pitching from set.

You may wish to show him FED case play 6.1.3A which directly and explicitly contradicts his assertion.

JM

• Like 5

NFHS baseball: Our local high school assigner has advised our umpires that the non-pivot foot has to be within the width of the 24 inch pitching rubber.  Is this correct? If so, when did this rule change? 

The NFHS rules powerpoint is confusing as it also shows this in their diagram.    I have been umpiring many years and the rule has always been the non-pivot foot has to be in front of the front edge of the pitcher's plate and the pivot foot has to be within the width of the pitcher's plate (we fudge on that one too).  I think our assigner is getting the NCAA rule mixed up with NFHS.

The NCAA rule on this part is the same.  So he's not getting them mixed up, but he might be confused on both (or just mistakenly said non-pivot instead of pivot -- its a common mistake)