Rest in Peace Mike Taylor

KLAH316
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3706 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Absolutely Rich. No problem at all. The important thing is that we do something. Donate to Little League is what was requested. 

Times like these are when I wish we could all get together and hoist one in memory of Michael.  

Perhaps we should all try to get together and hoist one before something like this happens.  We always intend to do so, but life gets in the way.

And I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my post.  I've decided in the last few minutes to also make a donation to the American Heart Association, as well.

• Like 5

FWIW, sometimes you can find very good deals on used, but in very good condition youth baseball equipment on Craigslist or elsewhere at very good prices. Purchasing some and donating it to the local LL would benefit the league more than maybe just giving money and not really knowing what that money went to?

Just a thought,

SJA :-)

• Like 3

For those who never met or spoke to Mike,

Mike had gravel in his voice. He sounded like a grizzly bear growling when he spoke. The kind of voice you'd expect to hear coming out of your radio speakers. I could actually hear him smiling through the phone. He loved his job. He loved his family. He loved umpiring. And he loved Umpire-Empire. I wish I had gotten to call a game with him. Or have a beer with him. Or just have met in person. I called his number one last time (not knowing what to expect). When I heard his voicemail message, I had to smile. No idea if anyone will hear it, but I left a message to whom it may concern. I tried (unsuccessfully) to keep my voice from cracking. The world is a lesser place without him.

@Umpire in Chief - I think it's great to name the MOTM award after him. PERFECT 9.01(c ) application :notworthy:

Does anyone know what his uniform number was?

• Like 10

Had long trip to start the season then I just got back from officiating a family funeral today and saw this. Can't believe it, the man is four days younger than I am, breaks my heart. I've known him from the early internet boards at the beginning too I believe. No much else to say than has already been said, may God's peace rest with Mike's family, and I hope we all get to evaluate a game of his in Heaven.  :no:  :(

The one league I know he worked didn't have numbers.

Well said @Jocko. I did get to meet him, have a beer with him and watch baseball with him.

I thought it was funny how much of a drawl he had for a guy from MD.

I feel very fortunate.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Does anyone have any thoughts on possibly renaming the Member of the Month award after Mike? Thoughts are appreciated.

I'm against it. Can't anything exist for its own sake without naming it after someone? Roads, bridges, stadia, games, fields, courts, awards, professorships, head coaches, seats....geez.

It's sad that you join a community and two weeks later sh!t on the memory of someone instrumental in the community becoming what it's become.  Didn't you read the thread and consider how we would feel before taking a split-second and barfing all over your keyboard?

I'm sorry -- I know I should ignore stuff like this, but this post made me sad.  Sad that I never got to meet Mike and also sad for people like this, who probably doesn't care.

Renaming the Member of the Month award is exactly the right thing to do and even though I "won" this award before such a name change would take place, I would always associate it with Mike.

I'm an administrator of another board and I'm going to post a thread there in memory of Mike sometime today.  Any of you who know the board I'm talking about who are members are welcome to do the same.

Edited to add:

http://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97392-michael-taylor.html

Well, pardon me all to hell.

The original post said "thoughts are appreciated." Next time, perhaps BT_Blue could include the qualifier, "...as long as you agree" so I won't repeat the mistake of taking his words at face value to the consternation of those who disagree.

Does anyone have any thoughts on possibly renaming the Member of the Month award after Mike? Thoughts are appreciated.

I'm against it. Can't anything exist for its own sake without naming it after someone? Roads, bridges, stadia, games, fields, courts, awards, professorships, head coaches, seats....geez.

It's sad that you join a community and two weeks later sh!t on the memory of someone instrumental in the community becoming what it's become.  Didn't you read the thread and consider how we would feel before taking a split-second and barfing all over your keyboard?

I'm sorry -- I know I should ignore stuff like this, but this post made me sad.  Sad that I never got to meet Mike and also sad for people like this, who probably doesn't care.

Renaming the Member of the Month award is exactly the right thing to do and even though I "won" this award before such a name change would take place, I would always associate it with Mike.

I'm an administrator of another board and I'm going to post a thread there in memory of Mike sometime today.  Any of you who know the board I'm talking about who are members are welcome to do the same.

Edited to add:

The original post said "thoughts are appreciated." Next time, perhaps BT_Blue could include the qualifier, "...as long as you agree" so I won't repeat the mistake of taking his words at face value to the consternation of those who disagree.

Its all about respect.

Son you are treding on hallowed ground right now.

Our dear friend is not even laid to rest and we are still grieving here.

Please dont post any more on this. Please.

• Like 2

It's sad that you join a community and two weeks later sh!t on the memory of someone instrumental in the community becoming what it's become. Didn't you read the thread and consider how we would feel before taking a split-second and barfing all over your keyboard?

I'm sorry -- I know I should ignore stuff like this, but this post made me sad. Sad that I never got to meet Mike and also sad for people like this, who probably doesn't care.

I'm an administrator of another board and I'm going to post a thread there in memory of Mike sometime today. Any of you who know the board I'm talking about who are members are welcome to do the same.

Edited to add:

The original post said "thoughts are appreciated." Next time, perhaps BT_Blue could include the qualifier, "...as long as you agree" so I won't repeat the mistake of taking his words at face value to the consternation of those who disagree. Ever heard the saying "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?" BigUmpire is right, it's the respect

• Like 1

I still can't believe it. Mike was one of the first guys I met online in the umpire forums when I was just a teenager and fairly green.

I've learned so much from him and never got to tell him thank you. :(

God bless you Mike. Save a spot for me. I'll miss you friend.

• Like 1

It's sad that you join a community and two weeks later sh!t on the memory of someone instrumental in the community becoming what it's become.  Didn't you read the thread and consider how we would feel before taking a split-second and barfing all over your keyboard? I'm sorry -- I know I should ignore stuff like this, but this post made me sad.  Sad that I never got to meet Mike and also sad for people like this, who probably doesn't care. Renaming the Member of the Month award is exactly the right thing to do and even though I "won" this award before such a name change would take place, I would always associate it with Mike. I'm an administrator of another board and I'm going to post a thread there in memory of Mike sometime today.  Any of you who know the board I'm talking about who are members are welcome to do the same. Edited to add: http://forum.officiating.com/baseball/97392-michael-taylor.html

Well, pardon me all to hell. The original post said "thoughts are appreciated." Next time, perhaps BT_Blue could include the qualifier, "...as long as you agree" so I won't repeat the mistake of taking his words at face value to the consternation of those who disagree.agree or disagree is inconsequential. This was the wrong venue. Nothing more. Nothing less. Might I suggest maybe starting a thread of your own? That makes no mention of this thread or the topic of the MSTMOTM. Maybe just name schools, roads, scholarships, Stadiums, etc.

Times like these are when I wish we could all get together and hoist one in memory of Michael.

Perhaps we should all try to get together and hoist one before something like this happens. We always intend to do so, but life gets in the way.

Amen and Amen.

Can we please just drop it?

At this point I guarantee Mike wouldn't appreciate the direction this thread has gone. We may vehemently disagree with Andy, but to attack him like we have is wrong of us.

The point of the thread is remembering and honoring the legacy of one of the best umpires (and best person for that matter) any of us have ever known. Let's bring it back in.

• Like 3

Perhaps we should all try to get together and hoist one before something like this happens. We always intend to do so, but life gets in the way.

Amen and Amen.

I would like to do so… As you said, with life getting in the way, I think a massive get together would be extremely difficult… We can't reasonably expect California members to fly to Maryland for a dinner, no matter how noble the cause.

A possible solution could be setting a single date for regional get-together's… Those in the same areas join each other (the Michigan members, the southern Cal members, the New England members, the east coast members, etc.) and at a set time (say 7:00pm) we all toast to Mike… We have a good time, and make it a fun time - exchanging war stories, talking, getting to know each other better… And we do it in Mike's memory.

• Like 4

I just realized the hardest part of this whole thing for those of us that only knew Mike through his online presence.

Was reading a post in the "Ask the Umpire" section and coulding remember the original post since it was a two or three pager. So I went back to check out what it was. And there he is. Two posts down is Mr. Taylor with sage advice and great wisdom.

Knotted me up all over again.

• Like 4

I still can't believe it. Mike was one of the first guys I met online in the umpire forums when I was just a teenager and fairly green.

I've learned so much from him and never got to tell him thank you. :(

God bless you Mike. Save a spot for me. I'll miss you friend.

its these kind of posts that remind me how long I have known many of you all................

• Like 4

My- this forum is MUCH different without the great one.

Big hole.

You know he is up there sitting on the floor with some of his departed dogs saying " get over it!"

So lets do.

See ya Mike Taylor

Out.

• Like 1