Patches on Jackets

catcher
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3715 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Has anyone applied patches to jackets? My area requires patches on all shirts and jackets and I'm wondering if there's any special technique for the latter because the material is different than the shirt material.

Go to your local trophy shop. Ask for the magnets that are used on the back of plastic name tags.

• Like 1

Has anyone applied patches to jackets? My area requires patches on all shirts and jackets and I'm wondering if there's any special technique for the latter because the material is different than the shirt material.

Go to your local trophy shop. Ask for the magnets that are used on the back of plastic name tags.

Have you done this? Do you have pics?

Anyone know how to change the title of topics? I realize I just typed the name of the section I putit under.

I sew all of my patches on. Tack it on with the iron adhesive that comes on most and take the time to sew it is what I would say. Did that to my hat and my shirt and I plan to do it to my jacket. The patch will stay on a lot longer.

So the patches come with adhesive. I glue them onto the jacket with the adhesive, then sew down the corners of the patch, right?

How did it work on the hat? I'm thinking about doing it on that, too.

EDIT: Do you have pics?

Anyone know how to change the title of topics? I realize I just typed the name of the section I putit under.

I sew all of my patches on. Tack it on with the iron adhesive that comes on most and take the time to sew it is what I would say. Did that to my hat and my shirt and I plan to do it to my jacket. The patch will stay on a lot longer.

So the patches come with adhesive. I glue them onto the jacket with the adhesive, then sew down the corners of the patch, right?

How did it work on the hat? I'm thinking about doing it on that, too.

EDIT: Do you have pics?

You can do the just the corners but after a year or so it might gap in the middle. But the corners are a priority, yeah. It worked out fine on the hat, both for my MLB hat and the actual hat I use on the field. I don't think I have any pictures, and I couldn't upload them anyways.

With the hat, just make sure the patch is EXACTLY where you want it, because once you apply it, there's no going back.

Ive been lucky. Never had an association that wants patches on jackets. Couldnt do it anyways because I work for so many different associations. It would look bad.

If you can get away with it, I would definitely sew them on. That way they dont fall off. If you cant do it, bring it to your local tailor or seamstress.

That is a very good solution that I use. You can also cut out the cardboard from a thin box to match the shape of the patch and glue it and one half of the magnets to the patch. When time comes just put the other half where you need it on the shirt or jacket and attach the patch. You may become a ball magnet when using this method on the dish, but hey.

That is a very good solution that I use. You can also cut out the cardboard from a thin box to match the shape of the patch and glue it and one half of the magnets to the patch. When time comes just put the other half where you need it on the shirt or jacket and attach the patch. You may become a ball magnet when using this method on the dish, but hey.

But Stu, what happens if he wears this with an UnEqual CP and its famed ball repellant properties?

Have you done this? Do you have pics?

Yes I still have one. Sorry no pics. Not that computer savvy. These magnets are very strong. They come with a warning not to wear them if you have a pacemaker. Forgot to take them off one of my shirts when I washed my clothes. The patch did not move or come off! My buddie walked to close to a metal locker and it stuck to the locker!

Go to your local trophy shop. Ask for the magnets that are used on the back of plastic name tags. That is a very good solution that I use. You can also cut out the cardboard from a thin box to match the shape of the patch and glue it and one half of the magnets to the patch. When time comes just put the other half where you need it on the shirt or jacket and attach the patch. You may become a ball magnet when using this method on the dish, but hey.

But Stu, what happens if he wears this with an UnEqual CP and its famed ball repellant properties?

My Champion p220 is suffering from an inferiority complex thanks to you.

• Like 1

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ALGLUE&Category_Code=UMPIRE_FLAG_PATCHES&Product_Count=5

I have heard and read varying reviews on this, but it's cheap enough to give it a try.

I've also tried this. Do not waste you money.

http://www.ump-attire.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ALGLUE&Category_Code=UMPIRE_FLAG_PATCHES&Product_Count=5

I have heard and read varying reviews on this, but it's cheap enough to give it a try.

Agreed. Used to try and use this when I would get it from Honigs. Useless and ineffective!

@greyhawk - is that you're using on your hat?

We are only to wear patches on our outermost garment which means the umpire polo or jacket as the case may be.  Caps are plain black.  I can see one or the other, but requiring patches on shirt/jacket and the cap is overkill, IMO.

I already have a black polo with the patch sewn on (provided by the association last year).  I think I am just going to sacrifice a pro blue and a cream with sewn on patches and not have to deal with the tape anymore (unless I am wearing a jacket).

I am thankful that we don't have to wear numbers (nor are we allowed to).

Agreed. Used to try and use this when I would get it from Honigs. Useless and ineffective!

Interesting.   I have had a lot of luck with this stuff. 

Smear it liberally on the patch and let it sit for an hour.  Then I use a dvd case to store the very tacky patch. The ridges that hold the DVD are just enough surface area to retain the patch without making too much contact with the tack. 

Make sure you get the right stuff.  They make different types in nearly identical containers/labels. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be late to the party. Tack-it works just fine. I use it on my patches for volleyball, no problem. We also use it on state patches in state games. MD has a horribly ugly patch so we don't wear it unless necessary. Velcro and magnets both work fine also.

• Like 1