FED Rulebook

maninblack69
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3703 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys. I'm about to be starting my first year umpiring High School ball under FED rules. Our clincs start Jan. 19 and run through the end of Feb with a rules test at the end. Any tips or tricks to mastering the FED rulebook? My background has been OBR and LL. Thanks!

Obviously there's no substitute for reading the rulebook, but here's a decent place to start ..

http://www.stevetheump.com/nfhs_pro_rules_dif.htm

Yeah, I wouldn't think there would be a substitute for actually reading the book. Thanks for the link though, I'll be sure to check it out! Will also be prepared to ask a fair amount of questions if I have any. :)

Obviously there's no substitute for reading the rulebook, but here's a decent place to start ..

http://www.stevetheump.com/nfhs_pro_rules_dif.htm

Yeah, I wouldn't think there would be a substitute for actually reading the book. Thanks for the link though, I'll be sure to check it out! Will also be prepared to ask a fair amount of questions if I have any. :)

No better place on the net to get answers to questions than here.  :nod:

• Like 1

Obviously there's no substitute for reading the rulebook, but here's a decent place to start ..   http://www.stevetheump.com/nfhs_pro_rules_dif.htm
  Yeah, I wouldn't think there would be a substitute for actually reading the book. Thanks for the link though, I'll be sure to check it out! Will also be prepared to ask a fair amount of questions if I have any. :)   No better place on the net to get answers to questions than here.  :nod::nod: Thats why I love these boards and chat room! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• 4 weeks later...

The 2014 rule and case books are online at www.nfhs.arbitersports.com now.  If your association assigns games with arbiter, you can view it for free.

I can't find the rule/case books on there site.

The 2014 rule and case books are online at www.nfhs.arbitersports.com now.  If your association assigns games with arbiter, you can view it for free.

Hopefully that last link works for you, @bbman. I have hard copies of both and have been reading through them. I'm going to read through the casebook in a lot more detail over the next week or 2. We start our mechanics/"field" portion of the high school clinic this week. Should be fun!

Be sure to know rules other than actual playing rules.   For example, I recall that there was a question about how far the on deck circle should be from home plate.

I umpired with a guy who failed the test because he thought he was an expert on baseball rules (which he wasn't) but never looked at the NFHS rule book.

• Like 1

What does your association require you to score to call regular season? Playoffs? In Texas its 70 for regular season and 86 and above for playofs. Just curious if other states imply the same requirements

• Like 2

On page 69 on the Fed RB, there is a list of all the major rules differences in HS ball. If you think you know OBR rules, looking up the rules in this list is a good way to find the rule differences that trip up so many new HS umpires.

• Like 1