Background checks

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3748 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Our state association requires officials to complete a thee-part background check in order to officiate.

Our summer ball association has instituted a similar policy.

My question is how many of your state and summer associations require similar checks.

The only organization that I have umpired in that has ever required a background check is Little League. Never needed one for Pony, AAU, USSSA, HS or any of the other off-season ball I have done. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little League is my primary business, and they are very strict about the background checks… Every umpire, coach, board member, and volunteer, even the ones who are 13 years old, must provide a state issued photo ID (school ID's are accepted for those under 18) as well as a bunch of background information.

There cannot be any contact with children through practices, scrimmages, etc. until the background check is on file. 

MHSAA does them also I believe

Richvee - LL doesn't require fingerprints. If you had to supply them it was a local request.

I guess it's our district's request then. I need to have them on file for my state optician's license anyway, so it's no big deal. 

I believe in Maine we have to sign a form for HS saying that we have no felonies - our local HS board really pays attention to that kind of stuff as well - small board - word travels fast. We do have connections for checks if needed. Schools are clamping down on this, and I think all sports (school) in Maine have some sort of requirement.

The only other one I have is LL for summer ball - Each league has a contact for background checks, I am think that LL has this set up? I think there is a place that they get so many 'free' background checks done each year.

Just for clarification, PIAA has required it of officials who became certified after 2007.  It is a once and done process.

Yes, the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) is very strict on obtaining these checks. I think it is for the best of all parties.  You know who you are dealing with once these checks are completed.  These checks consist of FBI background and fingerprint checks, state child abuse background check, and state police criminal background check. True, it is not a fool proof system, but it gives you a little piece of mind knowing that the officials are subject to this.

We are supposed to have copies of our documents with us at the field. It made me feel awkward. Some schools want copies, others are satisfied to verify through the PIAA website. I got into the habit of emailing AD's before the game to see if I could email them scans of the documents ahead of time. So far they have all been accommodating. The school then keeps them on file.

Our summer ball association has adopted a similar background check procedure. Since many summer games are played on school fields, it made sense from a liability perspective.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Just for clarification, PIAA has required it of officials who became certified after 2007.  It is a once and done process.

Yes, the PIAA (Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association) is very strict on obtaining these checks. I think it is for the best of all parties.  You know who you are dealing with once these checks are completed.  These checks consist of FBI background and fingerprint checks, state child abuse background check, and state police criminal background check. True, it is not a fool proof system, but it gives you a little piece of mind knowing that the officials are subject to this.

Yes, PIAA is quite stringent on these checks due to the 2008 Pittsburgh Post gazette investigative article by Bill Moushey that revealed an embarrassing number of former and active PIAA officials who had convictions for a multitude of offenses......  child abuse,gun crimes, drug offenses, assaults, animal abuse, fraud, various forms of theft, crimes of falsity, drunken driving and auto accidents that caused deaths.

As a proud long-term PIAA official, I'm glad they cleaned the PIAA out of those officials.....I support the background check program.....

Edited by Stan W.
link to original story

Yes, PIAA is quite stringent on these checks due to the 2008 Pittsburgh Post gazette investigative article by Bill Moushey that revealed an embarrassing number of former and active PIAA officials who had convictions for a multitude of offenses......  child abuse,gun crimes, drug offenses, assaults, animal abuse, fraud, various forms of theft, crimes of falsity, drunken driving and auto accidents that caused deaths.

As a proud long-term PIAA official, I'm glad they cleaned the PIAA out of those officials.....I support the background check program.....

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/2008/09/14/Many-with-criminal-pasts-found-on-PIAA-s-roster-of-sports-referees/stories/200809140223#ixzz2nherb0X7

I have no qualms with submitting to a background check. The only question I ever had was why the PIAA never phased it in for officials who registered before 2007.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

No background checks here. The closest I've come is when a LL I was going to work for thought I was going to coach. That was fixed very quickly.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

LL requires ANYONE with "repetitive contact" with the players to have a background check. It isn't just about coaches. If they excused you they are applying the requirement incorrectly.

No background checks here. The closest I've come is when a LL I was going to work for thought I was going to coach. That was fixed very quickly.

Larry

LL requires ANYONE with "repetitive contact" with the players to have a background check. It isn't just about coaches. If they excused you they are applying the requirement incorrectly.

I believe LL requires only a check of the national sex offender database. They greatly recommend a background check though.

Larry

I believe LL requires only a check of the national sex offender database. They greatly recommend a background check though.

LL requires the use of First Advantage(formally LexisNexis).

They require background checks.

Not "greatly recommend"

Require.

• Like 1