Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
jkumpire

Why does every rules body demand the same strike call mechanics

I am no SB umpire, though years ago I started my career doing Men's FP. That was fun.

So let me very humbly ask you, why is it FED, ASA, NCAA and everyone demand the exact same mechanics by everyone for a strike call? IMO it looks bad to begin with, with the hammer way up in the air, and it does nothing to enahnce timing or anything else.  Years ago I helped out for a day at an ASA FP event. I used my baseball strike call and nobody said boo onthe field. Why all the uniformity?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I can't stand watching SB ..... their mechanics are so stupid!  They want them to be robots so they're not noticeable, but it backfires because THEY'RE SO ROBOTIC is draws attention to them!  It's totally ridiculous! :shakehead:

Actually they are relaxing the mechanics somewhat. ASA seems to be the sticking point. That said, softball is it's own game, why pick on them? As long as guys that do both don't confuse mechanics, what difference does it make?<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• Like 2

Actually they are relaxing the mechanics somewhat. ASA seems to be the sticking point. That said, softball is it's own game, why pick on them? As long as guys that do both don't confuse mechanics, what difference does it make?<br /><br />Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

The mechanics they're forced to do is ridiculous ..........  it's not a personal slam on "them" ....it's their protocol that's idiotic

I am no SB umpire, though years ago I started my career doing Men's FP. That was fun.

So let me very humbly ask you, why is it FED, ASA, NCAA and everyone demand the exact same mechanics by everyone for a strike call? IMO it looks bad to begin with, with the hammer way up in the air, and it does nothing to enahnce timing or anything else.  Years ago I helped out for a day at an ASA FP event. I used my baseball strike call and nobody said boo onthe field. Why all the uniformity?

Is their hammer different from what the baseball pro schools teach and what the umps who get a MiLB job have to use for a certain time. Is the hammer much higher up?

Is their hammer different from what the baseball pro schools teach and what the umps who get a MiLB job have to use for a certain time. Is the hammer much higher up?

youtube a college softball game, ..... you decide ;)

youtube a college softball game, ..... you decide ;)

Yep, definitely higher than what PBUC teaches: https://therightcall.net/video.aspx

It has been what I called "poke the cloud" mechanic, which is what ASA insists on. It is very much straight up, not really a hammer at all. The newer mechanic is more like a baseball hammer but somewhat higher. 

• Like 1

I have now completed two seasons of HS softball - some of the umpires around here don't like that I scissor and that my hammer isn't in the sky.

My response, "I've heard not one complaint from a coach, player, or fan."

• Like 1

ASA and FED strike mechanic calls for the upper arm (from elbow to shoulder) to be parallel to the ground when making the signal. So, if you see guys with their fist "way up in the sky"...they aren't doing it right!

• Like 1

It was certainly the default at all levels I have watched for several years. I am now seeing the actual hammer but it still slightly higher than baseball. In my opinion that is not a problem, softball can tell you to do it however they want, it's their game. 

• Like 1

I have now completed two seasons of HS softball - some of the umpires around here don't like that I scissor and that my hammer isn't in the sky.

This only works if the assignor is fine with it.  I don't do softball so I don't care.

The only SB I do is a men's modified pitch rec league now and then. I use straight baseball mechanics. No one cares...they think they're playing baseball anyway  :D

• Like 1

This only works if the assignor is fine with it.  I don't do softball so I don't care.

We don't use assignors. The coaches contact me directly. Admittedly, this system has many flaws, but the coaches and umpires in this region aren't willing to change. There are a few umpires that are interested in changing, but not enough to change the process.

For the umpire who said they don't use assignors.. How does any umpires in your association move up? Why would anyone want to join your association if the coaches get to pick the umpires? As an association that should be changed so coaches don't have control over which umpires they want umpiring there games

Umpref19

For the umpire who said they don't use assignors.. How does any umpires in your association move up? Why would anyone want to join your association if the coaches get to pick the umpires? As an association that should be changed so coaches don't have control over which umpires they want umpiring there games

Umpref19

Why would you pick a 6+month old Fast Pitch Softball topic to ask this question?