Mizuno Spyder Throat guard

acpar72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3774 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It's the exact same. Mizuno dosen't actually carry the Spyder. It's made by SSK but everyone calls it the Mizuno because it's always associated with the Mizuno mask frames. The same company who makes the masks for Mizuno makes the throat guards for SSK. I have several Spyder throat guards on various masks and I have ordered them from just about everyone who carries them including ebay. They are all the same and they are all made by SSK.

• Like 2

It's the exact same. Mizuno dosen't actually carry the Spyder. It's made by SSK but everyone calls it the Mizuno because it's always associated with the Mizuno mask frames. The same company who makes the masks for Mizuno makes the throat guards for SSK. I have several Spyder throat guards on various masks and I have ordered them from just about everyone who carries them including ebay. They are all the same and they are all made by SSK.

Exactly. SSK is just another major Japanese brand. You'll occasionally see some of their products in the US. My main baseball glove I've used for the last several years was an SSK. 

I chuckle because I went through the gear junkie phase, too. All kinds of different masks, shoes, c/p's, etc. Then I figured out they were all doing the same job, and I should just pick the best, and have a similar backup.

So I've got a retro fitted Platinum, with a standand one standing by. A TW equipt Champro, with TW backup, etc. And I've donated all the excess to my local LL, for the kids to use.

Now, I don't know if I'm any smarter than my younger counterparts, but I do know I only need so much gear, and now have ton more storage space for motorcycles.

Now, if I could only follow that same advice for guitars. I am a guitar gear junkie.

• Like 3

I chuckle because I went through the gear junkie phase, too. All kinds of different masks, shoes, c/p's, etc. Then I figured out they were all doing the same job, and I should just pick the best, and have a similar backup.

So I've got a retro fitted Platinum, with a standand one standing by. A TW equipt Champro, with TW backup, etc. And I've donated all the excess to my local LL, for the kids to use.

Now, I don't know if I'm any smarter than my younger counterparts, but I do know I only need so much gear, and now have ton more storage space for motorcycles.

Now, if I could only follow that same advice for guitars. I am a guitar gear junkie.

I'm similar in the fact that I've got my main CP and main SGs and then a back up that is the same model just not as pimped out. I've got a few extras laying around that I loan out when someone is new to umpiring and needs some gear to float around. The exception for me is masks. I've got a million of them but only have 2 that I actually use anymore. The rest go on display as a collection of sorts. I have the same problem with guitars as well. I'v run out of wall space for my guitars now and I'm soon to be out of floor space as well. No motorcycles though, at least not yet.

Ive got the SSK, just wanted the Mizuno. 

If you have the SSK then you have the Mizuno. Mizuno doesn't actually make the Spyder. Like I said before SSK makes the Spyder throat guard but it is a common misconception that there is a Mizuno version because they are used most often with Mizuno masks that lack a built in chin. The only throat guard I know Mizuno makes that is out of the ordinary is the plastic one that looks kind of like a misshapen square mixed with a shovel.

Payne is right, this it the only (non-catcher) umpire's throat guard that Mizuno makes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIZUNO-Umpire-Gear-throat-guards-guard-for-Mask-Baseball-from-Japan-/221229426295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33824d2677 You occasionally see it, some pro guys wear this one. The Spyder is all SSK.