Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
JohnT

Transition to SB

As someone accustomed to baseball, what are some major differences in softball? I am not only talking about rules, but game demeanor, game management, umpiring, etc.

I am thinking of doing a lot more softball this year... it probably has less chatter and will be a good way to get back on my feet. Is this "less chatter" thing true?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

As someone accustomed to baseball, what are some major differences in softball? I am not only talking about rules, but game demeanor, game management, umpiring, etc.

I am thinking of doing a lot more softball this year... it probably has less chatter and will be a good way to get back on my feet. Is this "less chatter" thing true?

It is very different...at the top levels the intensity can be the same.

The positions are different (except PU & A). The attitude can be very different. Yes there can be chanting. Game management is basically the same, except when doing quality ball the normal game is 75 minutes or less. I did a tourney last year where, because of rain, the curfew was 50 minutes. I did 5 games (@$50/per) in 5 hours and 4 of them went at least to the 5th inning. Travel ball/tourneys you'll usually work alone.

I'm talking fast pitch. There are some silly things, like cleaning off the pitchers plate between innings. You also smooth out the dirt in front of it. This will actually help you call an illegal pitch.

And you have to listen to the baseball umpires attempt to put you down on the web sites.:wow: they're jealous as you get into your car and drive home while they are just starting the 3rd inning.:)

• Thanks 1

Working slow pitch can help your baseball skills if you work hard at a few thing while doing the softball games... my list is:

1. Work at being completly set for every play

2. Work on timing on all tag and force plays

3. Work on your between inning routine

4. Get the best possible angle on all plays

5. Watch runners touch bases

There may be more but bottom line the more wackers you see at first base the better you will be at getting them right with good timing... the more tag plays you see the better you will be at calling them.

BIG WARNING: do not get lazy in slow pitch games, get out from behind the plate and work hard for that hour... DO NOT GET LAZY!

• Like 1

Note... same principles apply to fast pitch but you get the pitching rules and plate work to add to the list. Good way to see lots of pitches and work on head placement and timing.

Lineup card management is diffrent. There is the DP/Flex rule. It is similar to the DH rule, but very much expanded. The game is quicker. There are time limits between pitches at most levels. There are game time limits in ASA ball. There are still run ahead rules as with some levels of baseball. The drag/slap bunter is a major diffrence. It will take some time to get used to a batter moving at the ball in your field of vision. There is a double first base in ASA and some levels of Federation. Pitching/ balk rule is diffrent. There is no such thing as a balk. It is called illegal pitch and there are many facets to look for inlcuding position and movement of the feet. The pitching motion is very regulated as opposed to baseball. As a plate umpire you must go set sooner as the pitching distance is closer. The ball will seem to explode on you at first. Ball movement is diffrent. There is a rise ball in fastpitch. Make sure you see the ball before you call the high strike.

That's just a few of the diffrences that I notice. Good luck!!!!

In some leagues, slow pitch only I think, you have the flipflop rule. If the home team is down in a deciding inning they stay at bat to find out if they go ahead, tie or lessen the difference to offset the run rule.

If they do the visiting team becomes the home team until the end of the game or the situation is reversed and they need to flip flop again. I think this is USSSA only.

Hormone queens!

I raised two daughters that played.

1 until she was 14.

1 started all four years at Florida State.

GOOD LUCK!

I played traveling Fast Pitch from age 14 through 24.

Mens game is like MMA with metal spikes.

In softball, you are expected to call both balls and strikes in your crouch, and give the signal later, when working behind the plate. Base umpires have to walk the line instead of being HOK set when the pitch is released, and base umpires also brush off the mound (I don't know why). Any other softball-specific quirks that baseball umpires should remember?

14 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

In softball, you are expected to call both balls and strikes in your crouch, and give the signal later, when working behind the plate. Base umpires have to walk the line instead of being HOK set when the pitch is released, and base umpires also brush off the mound (I don't know why). Any other softball-specific quirks that baseball umpires should remember?

@ilyazhito Welcome to the site. Love your enthusiasm, but please take a look at the threads you're responding to. You just responded to a question that was asked 9 years ago! 

On 3/25/2018 at 11:29 AM, Richvee said:

@ilyazhito Welcome to the site. Love your enthusiasm, but please take a look at the threads you're responding to. You just responded to a question that was asked 9 years ago! 

True... but it was nice seeing @mstaylor in a response again.

• Like 3

On 3/27/2018 at 4:03 PM, Mudisfun said:

True... but it was nice seeing @mstaylor in a response again.

Yes it was!

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:39 PM, ilyazhito said:

In softball,...base umpires also brush off the mound (I don't know why).

If there's a mound on your field, you're on the wrong field. You want the softball field, not the baseball field!

But, seriously, in softball there is a great emphasis on foot placement and contact with the pitcher's plate (that's what's getting brushed off). It's kind of hard to see if they're in contact when you can't see the rubber! Given that most softball fields are loose dirt that gets kicked around, the pitcher's plate gets fairly well covered every half inning.

Just like when I'm doing a baseball game, when I'm doing a softball game I try to be as "by the book" as possible. That includes brushing off the pitcher's plate at the start of every half-inning. I kind of hate having to do that but, when in Rome...

I meant the rubber, but baseball is my first spring sport, and baseball terms sometimes sneak in even when I am thinking about softball. 

Some terminology is different: "hub" vs "working area", "holding area" vs "library" etc. In addition, U1 has to buttonhook to get into the infield on plays, because he starts outside the 2B or SS with runners on base (In 3-man, the same applies for U3, or U1 in the counter-rotated position).

I've also looked at 3-man mechanics diagrams in the NFHS softball manual, and U1 pivots before going home. This is a headscratcher to me, because a baseball U1 in a 3-man game stops at 1B to watch the touch at 1B, before going home as R1 rounds 2B. Is this actually done in HS playoff or NCAA 3-umpire softball games? 

Any other mechanics quirks that a baseball umpire would need to know when doing softball?

PU takes his mask off on ball 4 and moves towards 3rd base.