It's been a great run

Typhoon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 675 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 2 months later...

Well here goes, I am doing a HS game next Wed. I am out on the west coast at the moment but am going home on Fri to get the gear ready. Wish me luck

Tony

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Well here is the latest update. I went for another checkup and the doc said after the cat scans, xrays, and ultrasounds there is still no sign of cancer. My next checkup is not til Nov. As for my onfield activities. I have been really busy. I have done HS varsity baseball, ladies fastpitch softball, and some ladies slo-pitch. Two weeks ago I did 11 games over 3 days and this week I did 8.5 games over 2 days. The reason for the half game was that one of the young umpires was taken out because of heat exhaustion, I told the assignor to pay him for the full game. Next weekend I am doing U14 provincial championships, then I am DUIC for the U12 provincial championships in August. So all in all things have turned out pretty well. One more piece of news was that when they took out my bladder they also removed the prostrate and guess what, it had early stage cancer. 

Also I want to thank everyone who wished me well and prayed for me, The thought that so many people cared was a big part of my recovery.

Thanks guys and gals

Tony

• Like 8

Well here is the latest update. I went for another checkup and the doc said after the cat scans, xrays, and ultrasounds there is still no sign of cancer. My next checkup is not til Nov. As for my onfield activities. I have been really busy. I have done HS varsity baseball, ladies fastpitch softball, and some ladies slo-pitch. Two weeks ago I did 11 games over 3 days and this week I did 8.5 games over 2 days. The reason for the half game was that one of the young umpires was taken out because of heat exhaustion, I told the assignor to pay him for the full game. Next weekend I am doing U14 provincial championships, then I am DUIC for the U12 provincial championships in August. So all in all things have turned out pretty well. One more piece of news was that when they took out my bladder they also removed the prostrate and guess what, it had early stage cancer. 

Also I want to thank everyone who wished me well and prayed for me, The thought that so many people cared was a big part of my recovery.

Thanks guys and gals

Tony

You have a great success story, Tony.  I'm very happy for you and your family.

• 8 months later...

Well here we go again. I am going to give it another season. There is still no sign of the cancer and I feel pretty good so I will give it another year, my 55th as an umpire. The only problem is a torn meniscus in my right knee. It doesn't seem too bad but I see the surgeon next Tues. and we will see what he says. I have been given 5 high school games next week as well. Physiotherapist says if they scope it I'll be out at least 4 weeks. 

Tony

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Another update: Last year went really well, I had a great season. I Went to see the doctor again for another checkup and the first thing he said was "congratulations on being cancer free for 2 years" . I thought that last year would be my last year umpiring and that I would retire. I feel so good that I am going to give it another shot again this year. Did a high school game today and did not feel out of place, so begins my 56th year of umpiring. I got a phone call tonight asking me to umpire a college tournament (softball) on May 1. Of course I said yes. Just like the energizer bunny I keep going and going. Don't think that I don't appreciate all the encouragement from everyone here, it's been great. Thank you all.

Tony

• Like 12

• 1 year later...

Well the doc says I am still cancer free and he gave me the green light to umpire again this year.  So begins my 57th year. Had a couple of High school game and a U14 softball tournament last weekend. Two college Softball coaches asked me if I am available to do their games. So I am back for another year!!

• Like 8