It's been a great run

Typhoon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 696 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Update!! Well I had the surgery as scheduled on Sept 25. It was 7.5 hours long. I came through it OK however the recovery time Is about 3 months. I am still pretty weak and was only permitted to drive by myself last Monday. The only drawback is that now I have to wear an external bag to catch the urine. However I have since found out that you can get a shield and continue your former lifestyle. Some people play rugby and compete in judo  tournaments, so it looks like I will be back on the diamond come springtime. I almost forgot, the CAT scan showed the cancer is completely gone, no more chemo or radiation needed.

Tony

• Like 11

Update!! Well I had the surgery as scheduled on Sept 25. It was 7.5 hours long. I came through it OK however the recovery time Is about 3 months. I am still pretty weak and was only permitted to drive by myself last Monday. The only drawback is that now I have to wear an external bag to catch the urine. However I have since found out that you can get a shield and continue your former lifestyle. Some people play rugby and compete in judo  tournaments, so it looks like I will be back on the diamond come springtime. I almost forgot, the CAT scan showed the cancer is completely gone, no more chemo or radiation needed.

Tony

Great to hear Tony!  Be well!  :nod:

Well I guess it is time for another update. They decided that before the bladder removal they would do 12 weeks of chemotherapy. The first week lasts 6 hrs, the 2nd & 3rf weeks were 1 hr, and the 4th week was a visit with the oncologist. there were 3 of these sessions. That first week knocked the crap out of me for about a week and a half, and i was unable to do much of anything. However in the 3rd & 4th weeks I was able to do some games. I was selected to do the U16 Ontario championships and the Ontario Summer games tournaments, but I had turn down both of them as they were on the wrong weeks of my chemo cycle.Two weeks ago I had a CAT scan and when I visited the surgeon on Wed I had a Cystoscope and he said that there were no longer tumours in my bladder and the one on the outside was reduced in size. All great news but they are still going ahead with the bladder removal. It is scheduled for Sept 25 and it lasts for about 7 hrs and I will be in hospital for 7- 10 days with about a 6 week recovery time. In the meantime I have tried to stay active doing as much ball as I feel comfortable with. As a matter of fact I have a college softball game in 4 hrs. I just hope I don't suck.

Just remember one thing, according to my Dr it was 40 years of smoking that was the sole cause of this cancer.

Tony

I hadn't seen this thread before. Great fight you put up and it looks like you are headed to a win. For our tobacco addicted blues, how did you quit? And does your doctor say chewing is bad for the bladder or it just gets the throat.

Well I guess it is time for another update. They decided that before the bladder removal they would do 12 weeks of chemotherapy. The first week lasts 6 hrs, the 2nd & 3rf weeks were 1 hr, and the 4th week was a visit with the oncologist. there were 3 of these sessions. That first week knocked the crap out of me for about a week and a half, and i was unable to do much of anything. However in the 3rd & 4th weeks I was able to do some games. I was selected to do the U16 Ontario championships and the Ontario Summer games tournaments, but I had turn down both of them as they were on the wrong weeks of my chemo cycle.Two weeks ago I had a CAT scan and when I visited the surgeon on Wed I had a Cystoscope and he said that there were no longer tumours in my bladder and the one on the outside was reduced in size. All great news but they are still going ahead with the bladder removal. It is scheduled for Sept 25 and it lasts for about 7 hrs and I will be in hospital for 7- 10 days with about a 6 week recovery time. In the meantime I have tried to stay active doing as much ball as I feel comfortable with. As a matter of fact I have a college softball game in 4 hrs. I just hope I don't suck.

Just remember one thing, according to my Dr it was 40 years of smoking that was the sole cause of this cancer.

Tony

I hadn't seen this thread before. Great fight you put up and it looks like you are headed to a win. For our tobacco addicted blues, how did you quit? And does your doctor say chewing is bad for the bladder or it just gets the throat.

Throat, stomach, jaw, gums, cheek, to name some of the most common. I used Copenhagen from Jr year in high school until I was 43. Ten years now without it. Tried to quit more than once. What did it for me was a hard, pea-sized growth on my lower lip that had to be removed. Thank God in was not cancerous, but it scared me well enough to never pick up the stuff again. It's tough. I did it pretty much cold turkey. To this day I still get urges. I chew gum and I'll let it sit in there where the snuff used to sit when the urges hit. 

Wish I could say I'm completely tobacco free. Haven't used chewing tobacco since, but I've been known to have the occasional "social" cigarette. Or an "end of a bad day of work drive home" cig. I know I shouldn't but once in a while I just like one. If I buy a pack, I usually have it for a month or more, so it's not an addictive thing like the snuff was.  

Just remember one thing, according to my Dr it was 40 years of smoking that was the sole cause of this cancer.

Tony

Throat, stomach, jaw, gums, cheek, to name some of the most common. I used Copenhagen from Jr year in high school until I was 43. Ten years now without it. Tried to quit more than once. What did it for me was a hard, pea-sized growth on my lower lip that had to be removed. Thank God in was not cancerous, but it scared me well enough to never pick up the stuff again. It's tough. I did it pretty much cold turkey. To this day I still get urges. I chew gum and I'll let it sit in there where the snuff used to sit when the urges hit.

Wish I could say I'm completely tobacco free. Haven't used chewing tobacco since, but I've been known to have the occasional "social" cigarette. Or an "end of a bad day of work drive home" cig. I know I shouldn't but once in a while I just like one. If I buy a pack, I usually have it for a month or more, so it's not an addictive thing like the snuff was.

Don't mean to preach, and I understand it is not easy, but try to quit Rich.

My Dad smoked for over 50 years and it took a quadruple bypass to get him to quit.

The damage done by the smoking lead to a couple of strokes, the first of which cost him his business and ability to speak. The second required him to live in a care facility for the last year of his life.

There is NOTHING good that comes from that habit. NOTHING.

Here endeth the sermon.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Four months until Game #1....

• Like 2

Just remember one thing, according to my Dr it was 40 years of smoking that was the sole cause of this cancer.

Tony

My Dad smoked for over 50 years and it took a quadruple bypass to get him to quit.

The damage done by the smoking lead to a couple of strokes, the first of which cost him his business and ability to speak. The second required him to live in a care facility for the last year of his life.

Here endeth the sermon.

I know. It's really stupid. I smoke so little. If I have 4 a week that's excessive. Wouldn't be that tough to stop. 

Tony

Here endeth the sermon.

I know. It's really stupid. I smoke so little. If I have 4 a week that's excessive. Wouldn't be that tough to stop.

So why don't you?

Tony

Here endeth the sermon.

So why don't you?

Because I like one once in a while? I'll go a month or more at times  without any. Sometimes I just like one. 

Tony

Here endeth the sermon.

Every time you want one, go buy a new indicator or plate brush.

It will be cheaper and you can give them to new umpires thereby increasing your supply of warm fuzzies.

• Like 1

It will be cheaper and you can give them to new umpires thereby increasing your supply of warm fuzzies.

Even if he gave away those things Rich would have a hard time making friends. :wave:

Even if he gave away those things Rich would have a hard time making friends. :wave:

ouch   :(

ouch :(

Tough room. Miss that Jersey humor.

• Like 2

Tony

I was working in a hi stress job and 6 of us quit at the same time using the patch, which our employer paid for. I think that it was the mutual support that did it for us. Only 1 guy started back up again and he passed away about a year later from a heart attack. 

As  for the cancer the doc said that the kidneys filter out the pathogens from smoking and they then go into the bladder and that was where the damage was done in my case. I tend to think any use of tobacco could have the same effect. I quit 20 years ago and it still came back to bite me. I am still recovering from the surgery I figure I have about half of my stamina back so far.

Tony

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Well it's been 4 months since the operation and I had a checkup this week. The doc was ecstatic. After x-rays, cat scans , and blood tests everything came back negative. I have been heavy into physical therapy and he said I should be good to go come spring. We are really short of umpires for high school so the association is happy as well. I will have to purchase a new piece of protective gear called Ostomy Armour. I emailed the company and asked if it was suitable for baseball and this was his reply "Yes, absolutely! The Armour is great for hockey pucks too."

So I am about to embark on my 54th year umpiring and as I said before "Its been a great run"

Tony

• Like 5