It's been a great run

Typhoon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 693 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Well it's time for an update. I had a second surgery on Dec 20th and the tumors had grown back in 5 weeks which means it is very aggressive. That's the bad news. The good news is that none of the the tumors had breached the bladder wall. The doc then gave me a choice. A 7 hour operation to remove my bladder or chemotherapy. Guess what I chose.

The chemo starts on Jan 29 and runs once a week for 7 weeks. The procedure for this type of chemo is that they pump your bladder full of the chemicals, roll you around to coat the entire bladder wall and that is it. Luckily it does not cause you to have nausea or lose your hair. You just feel crappy for a day or two. I am optomistic that I will again be able to umpire this year.

Again thanks for all the support.

Tony

God's Grace, peace and healing be with you. As an older umpire, I'm hoping to get to 53 years too, but then I hope I have to get to 55 or 56 to catch you at least!

Let us know what you find out.

• 2 months later...

Well here is a new update. The six weeks of chemo has been completed and now there is a three week wait then they will check again to see what the results are. Being the optimist that I am I have registered for the umpire super clinic and hope to be on the diamond again this year.

Tony

• Like 4

Well here is a new update. The six weeks of chemo has been completed and now there is a three week wait then they will check again to see what the results are. Being the optimist that I am I have registered for the umpire super clinic and hope to be on the diamond again this year.

Tony

Good for you. Keep fighting!

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.

I went back in May 30 for a checkup and the tumors were back, so it was surgery again last Friday.

I got a call to see the Urologist next Monday and he will again give me some options.

I said to hell with it and accepted a game next Monday. It is only a ladies slow pitch game but I had to start back somewhere

If all goes well I'll inform my assignor that I am ready for High School again.

Tony

• Like 1

Well the slo-pitch game was rained out so I did a softball double header on Tuesday, and have got three high school varsity games next week. I'll keep going as long as I can.

Oh on another note It is now been decided that my bladder has to be removed as soon as they can schedule it. The triple bypass put me on the shelf for 7 weeks so this should not be as long I hope.

Tony

• 4 months later...

Well I guess it is time for another update. They decided that before the bladder removal they would do 12 weeks of chemotherapy. The first week lasts 6 hrs, the 2nd & 3rf weeks were 1 hr, and the 4th week was a visit with the oncologist. there were 3 of these sessions. That first week knocked the crap out of me for about a week and a half, and i was unable to do much of anything. However in the 3rd & 4th weeks I was able to do some games. I was selected to do the U16 Ontario championships and the Ontario Summer games tournaments, but I had turn down both of them as they were on the wrong weeks of my chemo cycle.Two weeks ago I had a CAT scan and when I visited the surgeon on Wed I had a Cystoscope and he said that there were no longer tumours in my bladder and the one on the outside was reduced in size. All great news but they are still going ahead with the bladder removal. It is scheduled for Sept 25 and it lasts for about 7 hrs and I will be in hospital for 7- 10 days with about a 6 week recovery time. In the meantime I have tried to stay active doing as much ball as I feel comfortable with. As a matter of fact I have a college softball game in 4 hrs. I just hope I don't suck.

Just remember one thing, according to my Dr it was 40 years of smoking that was the sole cause of this cancer.

Tony