Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
CodyLoe15

wilson fx 2.0 or all-star system 7 helmet?

I would like to get some opinions on which is the better helmet.  

Wilson shock FX 2.0 titanium/steel vs. All-stars system seven 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I am on my 2nd Shock FX Helmet..... Never tried the All-Star.

However, I primarily use a Traditional Mask though.

I use the traditional style right now and tried the Wilson for one game and loved how the viewing window was so much wider.  I also noticed how much it helped with keeping me cooler.  Never have tried the all-star, but I know you can fit a hat underneath and that would defeat the purpose of keeping you cool I assume.

All Star 2500

All pads are removable, washable and replaceable.

Great view

Great protection

IMHO much better than Wilson.

Search the site. mlb ump sued wilson and won. Conccussions while wearing their hsm.

All Star 2500

All pads are removable, washable and replaceable.

Great view

Great protection

IMHO much better than Wilson.

CONCUR!!!!

Jeff - via Tapatalk

All-Star by a mile...better engineering, better ventilation, better vision, better protection, and from others' experience as well as my own, exceedingly better customer service.

And on top of it all I don't know how many times it has been said but all- star is the only company that tests their on a equipment with their own air cannon at 100 plus miles per hour :-)! :-)

Jeff - via Tapatalk

All-Star, Have used both and it is not even close. I love my MVP4000, but I am sure the MVP 2500 is great as well.

Obviously the All-Star is the clear winner,  but has anyone tried both the MVP2500 and the MVP4000 and if so is it worth the extra money?

Obviously the All-Star is the clear winner,  but has anyone tried both the MVP2500 and the MVP4000 and if so is it worth the extra money?

Well, I had an MVP2500 and gave it to my kid upgrading from an older helmet while I purchased an MVP4000 (from an esteemed though goofy member of the forum from Northeast Florida!). However, I got it for about the same price as an MVP2500 new. By All-Star's own admission in one of their videos, the upgraded vinyl nitrile forehead band really doesn't offer that much more protection or do anything of significance at ball speeds lower than 85 mph or so. The plastic is a higher quality, much stiffer and 'solid' feeling than the MVP2500, which isn't flimsy by any means. But other than that, the two are VERY similar. I found that the extra forehead pad makes it stick out just ever so slightly, making the chin pad just a bit loose for me, but that's probably just a personal thing and something that can be messed around with in the fitting.

The one noticeable downside for me was the MVP2500 uses thinner, solid steel for the mask while the MVP4000 uses lighter but noticeably thicker hollow steel tubing (I don't know how the titanium looks, but for over $300 retail I'm not about to find out).  Yea, it's lighter but it saves all of the 3 ounces out of 44 ounces on the MVP2500. Is it obnoxiously thicker? No....but after extensive use of the MVP2500 before that, I noticed it a LOT. So much so, as a matter of fact, that I switched out the face masks (after contacting All-Star and getting their go ahead - which speaks to their responsive customer service).

Bottom line: one of the advantages of the helmet is the improved vision. I didn't want to sacrifice that by using the thicker steel of the MVP4000 mask. And I was in the the situation of getting a new helmet anyway. It was just lucky that a member was selling a very lightly used MVP4000 for about what I'd pay for a new MVP2500, so it was pretty much a one for one swap. At the same price point, might as well have the (marginal, in my eyes) improved forehead band and the higher grade plastic. Once I swapped the masks, I regained the vision advantages.

So for me, if I was just buying my first helmet, unless I was continually facing 90+ mph pitching, I would go with the MVP2500.

Ok that is exactly they type of response I was looking for!  Thanks for being so specific.  I am at the borderline with some of these legion players and college pitchers,  I think the answer is MVP4000.

Thanks for everyones help!

Cody

I love my 4000. If you can find a deal on one with the Ti cage I would go for it. I love it. I started off with the Hollow Steel and I love the Ti cage so much more. the vision is a little bit, but I think it looks better.

Go with what you can afford. You will be happy either way.

It will be an interesting transfer but one that I believe will be well worth it!  All lot of the guys in my association are pretty set in their ways and are not a big fan of the HSM.  However their starting to become a little more popular will the younger generation and some of the older guys are starting to come around.  I am excited for it though!

I think I'll jump in here for my first official post on this forum and defend the Shock FX a little. I had an original Shock FX, and absolutely loved it, and I like my 2.0 even more. I will preface this by saying I have not used an All Star in a game, but only messed around with one a few times in a store. So, my feelings could be biased in that regard. However, I like the fit and feel of the FX, especially the shape and placement of the chin pad. I feel like the chin pad in the All Star sits too high for my liking, covering my mouth, and it is also made from that rougher black material, which I wasn't too into. Also, and this may not be true on the really high end models, but on the basic model there was no actual padding for your cheeks. There was just the chin pad, then bare plastic, and then the pads started again above your ears. I used to use a Rawlings Coolflo that was like that when I first started, and although it did deflect the impact, I do like that the FX has some padding for your cheeks. Also, I do think the shock absorbers work well, when you take one square in the mask. I have read various people comment online that they're just for looks, but I feel like they help with dead on shots. Maybe it's all in my mind. Also, I feel like the padding in the FX 2.0 is a nice mix of densities. It is really solid and stiff by the outer plastic shell, and then gradually gets softer as you get to the part that touches your head. I think that this is a fairly standard feature in all helmets, so this doesn't really set the FX apart, but it does make for a comfortable wear and solid protection. I also just really like the fit and feel of the FX in general. The weight is evenly distributed, and it sits nicely on my head. It never really moves around, and never really needs much adjusting. I am a big HSM fan in general, so I'd say whatever brand you go with I think you'll like. There sure aren't many of us here in SD that wear the HSM, but I've never gotten any flack for mine. Hopefully everyone will be courtious with you in your decision as well.

• Like 1

Ed Hickox looked good sporting the Allstar in last nights Redsox game in Seattle. I really like the look of it. I have used the old Allstar and never had one complaint. I went back to traditional mask but might look at picking one of these up in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

post-2571-13733908956653.jpg

Ed Hickox looked good sporting the Allstar in last nights Redsox game in Seattle. I really like the look of it. I have used the old Allstar and never had one complaint. I went back to traditional mask but might look at picking one of these up in the future.

aren't MLBUs not supposed to show any logo other than Wilson on protective equipment....that's a pretty big ridell logo

Dont know how old that pick is or rules on cp's but his system 7 mask had all logos removed from it in last night's game.

That's not a stock All-Star chin pad...I wonder what it is.

Not sure? If you look at videos from last night's game on MLB you will also see he wears his hat under that mask. It really is a sharp looking helmet.

I asked Brad from All-star about Hickox padding when I ordered mine.

Due to his history of concussions and Injuries (see lawsuits against Wilson) all of the padding in his helmet is custom.

I think Brad's words were that Hickox's helmet would stop a tank.

• Like 1

Chin pad is probably an out of stock leather one....I've still got an unused one...or it's a combo vinyl and whatever the skin side fabric is....

Love my All Star HSM...I'm on my 4th one from the MVP2000, 2200, 2500....

Just want the OLDER STYLE chin pad with the new unit...

Scuzz

It is the same special chin pad I have in mine.

Along with other padding, (which includes a forehead pad) made for those of us that have had a few concussions and really need the extra protection.

The extra padding pushes the mask farther away from your face and also requires changing the straps in the back.

Unless you have had concussions before, you really do not need the pads Hickox or I am using from AllStar.

The stock pads are perfectly fine for the normal population.

I also wear a 4 seam hat under my MVP2500.

I have the All Star FM4000 and I know how the fit should be, but what is the correct fit on an HSM? Slightly loose like the traditional mask or tight?