Behind the plate, counter or no?

Oldcrow
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3937 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've umpired for 15 years and several years ago, after advice from another experienced umpire, I quit using my counter when I am behind the plate.

I found this to be a positive and very liberating thing. I am not looking at it (Unprofessional) and it also keeps me sharper and more focused on each pitch/play/ situation.

Anyone else not use a counter on the field?

Indicator*

And I can't seem to do it. I once had to put it in my pocket during a game because it was too cold and I couldn't move my hands and I felt naked. I don't even look at it but it's just something I use to slow the game down mentally (I slowly turn it).

But, when it gets could up in the arctic here (Canada), I sometimes have to go on the field 'naked.'

• Like 1

I see guys that have been umping  a long time look at it several times a batter (Seemingly) and it drives me nuts....It was another reason I was determined to do away with it.

If I need to look at it, I just bring my hand up to my face to "adjust" my mask. No one sees me looking at it and it looks fine. Good to go. 

I will ding guys for not

using an indicator on the plate. On the bases, their choice. I have a couple that don't use one and I tell them, don't lose the count with me on the bases. I will walk to second and watch the fireworks.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

Jesse, I do the same type of thing when I do the bases...I scratch the back of my hand (Turning up the counter/indicator to glance at)

mstaylor, I view your response as silly as there have multiple times I have seen an umpire do something mechanically or otherwise that I may not do or agree with but it doesn't keep me from being his "Partner".  If that would be your attitude towards me on the field, we would not be working together. And if we were, I would NEVER have your back

• Like 1

Hiding an indicator so that people don't know you are looking at it is ridiculous. If you need to look at it then look at it. If you want to use one then use one. If you don't then don't. Dinging someone for not using one is also ridiculous. Much to do about nothing. Just Umpire!!!

• Like 8

If they don't use an indicator and lose the count repeatedly during the game, then I would have an issue. I know several very good umpires who don't use indicators, they have their own way's of remembering the count. I personally use one, but I have done games without one with no adverse affects.

• Like 1

I have no trouble at all keeping track of the count without referring to my indicator...until something other than pitches takes place.

For example, no outs, R1, R2.  Batter works the count to 2-2. I have no problem keeping track of the count, but I've been advancing the little wheels without looking at them, just in case.  Then, there's a pick off, and the ball gets thrown away, and it's bouncing around down the right field line.  One run scores.  But R1 gets trapped in rundown.  F9-F2-F5-F2-F6-F1, Out!  When the dust clears, I definitely have to consult the indicator to figure out what the count was before all the action took place.

I never get behind the plate without an indicator.  I don't consult it often.  But when I need it, I'm glad it's there.

• Like 1

Jesse, I do the same type of thing when I do the bases...I scratch the back of my hand (Turning up the counter/indicator to glance at)

mstaylor, I view your response as silly as there have multiple times I have seen an umpire do something mechanically or otherwise that I may not do or agree with but it doesn't keep me from being his "Partner".  If that would be your attitude towards me on the field, we would not be working together. And if we were, I would NEVER have your back

Wow!

You have just tugged on supermans cape, spit into the wind, pulled the mask of the old lone ranger and you have just messed around with mikey.

Grab some lawn chairs boys this will be fun to watch.

• Like 1

I have no trouble at all keeping track of the count without referring to my indicator...until something other than pitches takes place.

For example, no outs, R1, R2.  Batter works the count to 2-2. I have no problem keeping track of the count, but I've been advancing the little wheels without looking at them, just in case.  Then, there's a pick off, and the ball gets thrown away, and it's bouncing around down the right field line.  One run scores.  But R1 gets trapped in rundown.  F9-F2-F5-F2-F6-F1, Out!  When the dust clears, I definitely have to consult the indicator to figure out what the count was before all the action took place.

I never get behind the plate without an indicator.  I don't consult it often.  But when I need it, I'm glad it's there.

exactly! :nod:

I forgot to take my indicator to the field with me for a game this spring. Thought about sending someone to my car to get it, but decided to just go without. I loved it. Haven't used it since, and so far so good.

• Like 1

I haven't used one on the dish for a number of years. I keep it in my equipment bag out of habit, but that's as close to the field as it gets. I found not using one aides me in bearing down just a little bit more, the same as it helps Crow. I don't remember ever losing the count during an intervening play while not carrying one, but I vividly remember forgetting whether ir not I'd advanced the wheel when one happened on a pitch. I began to use it as a crutch and got mentally lazy at times. This is definitely an issue of personal preferrence. Use one; don't use one. As long as you're keeping the count and not missing pitches either way.

Tim.

I'm with Mike Taylor. Difference between the plate umpire andcthe base umpire is that it's PU's job to keep the count.

On the bases, I don't really keep it and when someone asks, I direct them to the plate guy. If the plate guy is coming to me more than once a season, it's too much.

If you can handle this without an indicator, fine. But I'm unlikely to be able to bail you out if you lose the count...

Sent via Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

My stance is this, many here think it unprofessional to carry on the bases and that it isn't your job to keep the count, it's the plate umpire's. I personally disagree but I tell my guys I don't care if they carry or not. On the plate it is your job to keep the count and as such you should carry one. If you choose not to, again your choice but if it leads to problems you should be dinged. We teach to handle your own arguments, the other guy should not be in it. I agree, you have to handle your own mess, I just say I am going to let you. I will rodeo off the coach when you toss him but until then it is a problem of your making and you need to handle it. Trust me, in most cases I will absolutely have your back, besides being a longtime umpire at multiple levels I am also the area trainer. By definition I have your back. I will always give my partner a hard time for not using an indicator. 

I talked to one yesterday, he works for me, and I told him my response here. He was perfectly fine with that, his screwup, his problem. He has been an umpire for about twenty years, I got him started, and his son is a  JEA grad. His son does use one on the plate. When I first got in my HS assoc there was a guy that didn't use one and he was constantly asking the count. Perhaps this forged my insistence on using one. He was a pro grad but from a school no longer in business. 

• Like 1

I use one on the plate, but don't look at it often. The only time I need to look at it is when some other plays happen and it takes my mind off the count.

On the bases, in a 2-man system I will have it with me. For a newer guy I may use it, but for older guys I usually don't use it unless they ask me to. More than 2-man, I don't carry one.

I have learned that scoreboard operators do not need any type of math degree (its obvious), so I don't rely on them.

I have noticed that many of the MLB guys use one on the plate. I have heard it said that using one is unprofessional, but to me it is good sense and good game control.

Just don't spend the game staring at it, use it as another of your tools to manage the game.