2 incidents with DJ Reyburn

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3956 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

First ....

A crazy play resulting in a play at the plate.  Does he miss this because he was moving?

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28114933

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=28114933

Also, later, ..... DJ get's a 99mph fastball to the ankle.....

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=28119443

http://wapc.mlb.com/play?content_id=28119443

UPDATED THE FIRST VIDEO ....I found it .....

I have no idea if he missed the first play or not, the only replay was worthless.

OK, wow, that video has changed since I first viewed it!  WOW!

There was a view before I posted it where you could clearly see that .....that's strange .......... 

Also, ... UEFL has it as an incorrect call and I'm assuming it's based on the same video I saw, but like I said, it's changed :HS

Two bad throws on one play and then they want the out call.  Sure the ball was there in plenty of time but that tag didn't come close to getting down low enough.  Put the tag down and then hes going to be called out even if the timing is exactly the same.

I have no idea if he missed the first play or not, the only replay was worthless.

scrounge, I found the video I first saw .....I updated the post

Thanks....I think he's out, but I can't definitively see the foot not on the plate at the time of the tag. Maybe the North Side Clown College shouldn't make two throwing errors and a rec league tag.

And it's the Cubs...who seriously cares, anyway?

Jeff - This is a perfect example of how some of your video posts come across negative / wacker play at the plate and without super slow mo seems even the best umpire internet guys can't tell but you seem to think it is a missed call... it was a wacker that at that level is not an easy call. DJ did a good job.

• Like 1

Jeff - This is a perfect example of how some of your video posts come across negative / wacker play at the plate and without super slow mo seems even the best umpire internet guys can't tell but you seem to think it is a missed call... it was a wacker that at that level is not an easy call. DJ did a good job.

jkhel;

you speak as if you've been around a few years, yet it's showing this is your 3rd post? If you're a lurker, which could be the case, welcome!  Please refer to my post (post #3) where I say where I got the "missed call" comment.  I used the word 'missed' because the UEFL reported this as an incorrect call.

Also, please know, at full speed I would have probably had a safe on the field ....... it happens fast and looks like a high tag .....  and also I didn't say this call was easy.

I find it hard to believe that the words I used in my post are slamming DJ, .... they're not

If you've been paying attention to how we discuss certain video plays, ... moving while making a call is discussed quite a bit,....another reason I mentioned it

I agree that the call was incorrect, but that is a very tough call with a lot of adjusting necessary.  It took a couple of looks on slow mo and freezing the video for me to be sure.  It was a crappy tag on the thigh and the foot is well on the plate by the time Reyburn could probably take it all in.

I would guess Sveum was as pissed watching his club throw it around like a LL minors as he was about the call.  He begged to be tossed.

• Like 1

I agree that the call was incorrect, but that is a very tough call with a lot of adjusting necessary.  It took a couple of looks on slow mo and freezing the video for me to be sure.  It was a crappy tag on the thigh and the foot is well on the plate by the time Reyburn could probably take it all in.

I would guess Sveum was as pissed watching his club throw it around like a LL minors as he was about the call.  He begged to be tossed.

That's an insult to LL minors teams everywhere. :)

jkhel;

you speak as if you've been around a few years, yet it's showing this is your 3rd post? If you're a lurker, which could be the case, welcome!  Please refer to my post (post #3) where I say where I got the "missed call" comment.  I used the word 'missed' because the UEFL reported this as an incorrect call.

Also, please know, at full speed I would have probably had a safe on the field ....... it happens fast and looks like a high tag .....  and also I didn't say this call was easy.

I find it hard to believe that the words I used in my post are slamming DJ, .... they're not

If you've been paying attention to how we discuss certain video plays, ... moving while making a call is discussed quite a bit,....another reason I mentioned it

Oh I see / if you post almost 6,000 times it makes you different... sorry to offend / a couple of things I will correct for you.

1. I did not say you slammed DJ

2. The UEFL is not a good source in my opinon

3. I did not say that you said it was "easy" / I just said it was not an easy call

• Like 1

jkhel;

Oh I see / if you post almost 6,000 times it makes you different... sorry to offend / a couple of things I will correct for you.

1. I did not say you slammed DJ

2. The UEFL is not a good source in my opinon

3. I did not say that you said it was "easy" / I just said it was not an easy call

You didn't offend me at all.  A couple of things in response if I may;

1. No, you didn't say I slammed DJ, you said my post is a perfect example of how my posts can come across negative, fair enough, but same concept in general

2. I didnt' say the UEFL was a good source (you shouldn't 'correct' people using your opinion, btw)  I said I used the UEFL as a reference, that's all

3. No, you didn't come out and say it, but this: seems even the best umpire internet guys can't tell but you seem to think it is a missed call... it was a wacker that at that level is not an easy call......

comes across as if I thought it was easy.   Again, no harm no foul, no big deal....just letting you know where I got my comment from.

4. In reference to your 6k post comment; no, you totally misread what I wrote and took it the wrong way.  The point is or what I meant to say is, the site shows you have 3 posts which can easily infer that you're fairly new.  BUT, I also said that you could have been lurking a long time, so that's why you're aware of my video posts, ....you also missed the fact that I said "WELCOME!"

So, all that said, you didn't offend me at all, and hopefully I didn't offend you as it certainly wasn't my intention.  Now, .... let's revisit the real issue:  Why do you think this original post of mine comes across as negative?  Because I used the word 'missed'?

Looked like the kind of play I see often at the 10U level!

Pet peeve of mine (but there is really nothing I can do about it): those 10U players need to be taught how to tag.  That way my life will be easier as an umpire, and when they get to be an F1 for the Cubs, they will know what to do.   ;)

Meanwhile, it looked like the Cubs manager just felt the need to yell at someone after that amazing display of baseball skill by his team.  And he picked the umpire...of course.

And, Jeff, keep on posting these videos!  I see no reason at all to be critical of this service you provide to the forum.