Wierdest thing to Happen on Field?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3565 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was reffing some adult flag football and it was played on a small field in the outfield of a local ball diamond. There was not a fence extending from the dugout to the outfield fence and a women once drove her car out onto the field, got out and started yelling at this guy, "Did you not think I would find out about you and my sister?!" I got on the phone and called 911 because I'll be honest, I was scared.

I was calling a local playoff game a few years ago and the field being in the middle of a neighborhood had a tornado siren right next to it.  It just happened to be the 1st of the month and time for the monthly test at the same time the pitcher was trying to deliver a pitch and I had to explain to the coach why I was not calling a balk on the kid when the siren went off and scared the crap out of everyone.

It was 1992 and my very first varsity game in only my second year of umpiring.  I was at a very rural school in Southern Indiana.  The visiting team had just finished taking infield and was preparing for the game while their coach was coming out for the plate meeting.  All of a sudden, kids ran out of the dugout and a few of them were using some colorful language and were a little upset.  A raccoon had decided to take up residence in the corner of the dugout and was upset with anyone that came near.  In this little corner of the world, they don't have animal control, they have rednecks with guns.  So not 1, not 2, but 3 rednecks with rifles much larger than a .22 descend on the dugout and alleviate the raccoon problem in a way that would be totally unacceptable to PETA.  Redneck number 1 even had a cooler and was heard saying "She ain't that big but she'll eat."  So here it is my first ever varsity game, I am 21 years old, nervous as can be, and I now know that at least 3 fathers on the home team are packing.  No pressure.

• Like 3

Rec Ball - Bad News Bears level - 10u

R1 is off on a hit to right field. As he rounds 2nd, F6 throws a handful of dirt in his face.  I don't believe what I just saw.  Nah. He didn't really do that did he? 

Now the batter is coming around first, heading to second and as he rounds 2nd, F6 bends over, grabs a handful of dirt and throws it in HIS face.

WHAT?!?!?

3rd Base coach starts to come out on the field and I tell him I've got it.  I go and get the kids coach and tell him he's going to have to take him out of the game.  Kid has NO CLUE why he's being taken out.

I was so discombobulated after seeing that, I didn't even call OBS.

• Like 2

I wasn't the ump, I was the catcher, and I threw up all over HP when I got hit by a pitch and they just called the game then. We've had a dust devil start around HP and my then CC banned the players from jumping around in it; we got to do that. We've had ravens on the field. An eclipse during a game. Snain in July. Umpires climbing fences to see plays. One time a team broke into a round of "Springtime for Hitler" as a distraction to the best batter on the other team. Golfers in LF. The HS football team having screaming matches one field over. Sewage pumping in CF. I think my favorite is still some random tourists showing up wanting to know how to play Eskimo baseball.

• Like 1

I wasn't the ump, I was the catcher, and I threw up all over HP when I got hit by a pitch and they just called the game then. 

Two weeks ago the catcher on the 8U team I coach threw up--inside the mask--and all over the chest protector and home plate.  Shovels and a bucket and 4 minutes later we were playing again--using the other team's catchers gear.  I'm not ashamed to say I was grateful to own a pressure washer when I got the gear home.  Never thought I'd be running bleach through it!  

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm PU last night. 2 outs, batter hits a high fly ball into foul territory in RF. F3, F4, and F9 converge. A large tree grows just into DBT, but has branches hanging a few feet over foul territory. Ball falls through tree, bounces off a couple branches and drops directly and lodges into F3's jersey, right behind his head. After the kid recovers from the shock, he reaches back and produces the ball and starts running in. I signal no catch, and everyone explodes...coaches, fans, kids...funny as hell. Ball hits tree branches AND falls into his jersey. HC starts to argue that the tree branches are in play and that he made the catch. I tell him you can't make a catch with your uniform anyway. He pauses, looks at me funny, and says "oh, you're right blue." Silence all around.

Also, during the first game I ever called -- R2, hard line drive to F4 a few feet over his head. The kid jumps and the ball hits the glove, pulls it off his hand, and lands on the ground with the ball inside the glove. The kid picks up his glove, pulls out the ball, and throws to F6 for a DP. I signal no catch and DC comes unglued. "The ball never hit the ground!" as he's turning bright red. After the game, I called one of the instructors, he officially welcomed me into the wonderful world of umpiring, we laughed about it, and he assured me this won't happen every game.

Couple weeks ago Im in A. Strong wid blows and I find myself completely surrounded by..............bubbles. a quick glance to my left reveals the culprits. There are about 5 little brothers/sisters with those electric bubble guns (like a water gun) "shooting" at me. I popped a bubble, smiled, and they just giggled

Couple weeks ago Im in A. Strong wid blows and I find myself completely surrounded by..............bubbles. a quick glance to my left reveals the culprits. There are about 5 little brothers/sisters with those electric bubble guns (like a water gun) "shooting" at me. I popped a bubble, smiled, and they just giggled

So child abuse and umpire interference? :)

• Like 1

Was the tree not covered in the ground rules?

Nope. This was my fourth game at that field, second behind the dish and it has never come up by umpire or coach. One of those situations where the veteran umpires I worked with assumed everyone already knew, I guess. And what's that they say about "assuming"? Glad the ball came down inside the kid's jersey.

Was the tree not covered in the ground rules?

Nope. This was my fourth game at that field, second behind the dish and it has never come up by umpire or coach. One of those situations where the veteran umpires I worked with assumed everyone already knew, I guess. And what's that they say about "assuming"? Glad the ball came down inside the kid's jersey.

Well, you learned that you need to identify potential issues not covered by the home coach and ask questions to clarify.

Dad didn't do a good job explaining what the cup was for... I was volunteer calling an 8U machine pitch game. Just before a pitch, the 3B cries out, "Dad, it's not holding!!!" (his dad was the coach). He had wet his pants and thought his cup would contain it.

. Thats too funny

• 2 weeks later...

Due to many rainouts my league has been stretching for fields, I had a game 15U(working alone) playing on a JV field, no problem with bases they had built the field to work for 65ft as well as 90 but we ran into a minor problem for the coaches, they had to really work to focus to players because in the field attached to our's(shared outfield) they were holding HS girls softball practice, many times we had outfielders surprised by a ball hit to them because they were spectating that practice, it was funny to see a kid jump the moment a ball caught them off guard

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend working a bantam tournament. I'm in P4 with runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out. Batter swings and it looks like a very soft, off the end of the bat pop out to F1. F1 goes to 1st, but his coaches are shouting at him to go to 3rd instead because the runner didn't tag and so he misses the throw at 1st.

Eventually the ball heads to third, but now I don't know wtf happened so I'm hesitant to make the out call. Partner calls time and comes out to chat as he had the ball hitting the plate and bouncing to F1. I didn't see the bounce and told him as much, but it may have bounced so quickly that I didn't see or hear it.

He went with the fly ball. BR out on the catch, R3 out on appeal. Inning over.

And, of course, at that point all hell broke loose. Three coaches came out, two yelled a lot, and one went to the parking lot early.

I've never seen that happen, and probably never will again.

Wait, your partner is PU, say it go off the base, you weren't sure, and you picked your option over your partners? That's what I gather from reading, and if that is the case I'd expect a lot of arguing!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So neither you nor your partner know if the ball bounced off HP before popping up to F1. And you don't know wtf happened at 3B. The coach didn't leave early, I'd say that he left on-time. Y'all got be better than this.

Wait, your partner is PU, say it go off the base, you weren't sure, and you picked your option over your partners? That's what I gather from reading, and if that is the case I'd expect a lot of arguing!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I didn't pick my option, he did. I straight up told him that I did not see it go off the plate, but if he did, to go with it.

So neither you nor your partner know if the ball bounced off HP before popping up to F1. And you don't know wtf happened at 3B. The coach didn't leave early, I'd say that he left on-time. Y'all got be better than this.

My partner said it did, but I didn't see it. The coach asked for him to get help from me, and I told him what I saw (or rather, didn't see). I didn't want to call the runner at 3rd out without knowing that it was a catch, and I didn't hear my partner call it as a catch.

This past weekend working a bantam tournament. I'm in P4 with runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out. Batter swings and it looks like a very soft, off the end of the bat pop out to F1. F1 goes to 1st, but his coaches are shouting at him to go to 3rd instead because the runner didn't tag and so he misses the throw at 1st.

Eventually the ball heads to third, but now I don't know wtf happened so I'm hesitant to make the out call. Partner calls time and comes out to chat as he had the ball hitting the plate and bouncing to F1. I didn't see the bounce and told him as much, but it may have bounced so quickly that I didn't see or hear it.

He went with the fly ball. BR out on the catch, R3 out on appeal. Inning over.

And, of course, at that point all hell broke loose. Three coaches came out, two yelled a lot, and one went to the parking lot early.

I've never seen that happen, and probably never will again.

This is most likely a case of you not tracking the ball all the way to the mitt.

Honestly, I'm not sure how I didn't see it. Maybe I was moving my eye, maybe the batter's shadow obscured it hitting the plate, I don't know. But it was a total mindbender for me because it looked like a standard weak pop up, but half the field reacted as though it bounced. It was a very weird play.

• 3 weeks later...