Wierdest thing to Happen on Field?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3564 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A couple of seasons back, in a varsity game, there was some sort of ruckus that caused me (BU) to look into left field. When I looked, I could see an animal of some sort, slowly ambling through the outfield. As I got closer, I recognized it as a muskrat. I hollered at LF to get away from the animal, and proceeded to herd it across the field, and out of the first base gate. We were at about second base when I heard a mom say "Look, it's a beaver" !! LOL

Conducting plate meeting, a rabbit runs from 3BL to 1BL. Seems to go under the fence. An inning later shows up again and takes the 1BL to the outfield and disappears again.

I was BU in a men's softball game when a large rat came out from under the HT dugout and ambled to the backstop where it disappeared into a burrow. Everyone stopped and watched it as it made its way along the fence, taking its sweet time. Between innings I asked my partner why he couldn't keep the coaches off the field when they weren't on offence. For some reason it really cracked him up and it took a few minutes for him to regain his composure.

Tony

• Like 1

Yesterday I had something happen I have never seen before.

It was an 11U tournament game.  I was BU.  I was in B.  Suddenly, the VT HC came running out of the 3B dugout yelling for time.  You may think you know where this is going, but following him was his entire team.

He called out, "There's a swarm of bees!"

My partner and I called time.

The VT HC took a left turn and headed out to LF.  His team scattered in all directions.

At that point I could see the swarm following the VT HC out into LF, and we called the HT players off the field.

The swarm must have come up with a new target because it eventually headed out over the LF fence.

I stayed in B the whole time, and when the VT HC came trotting back in from LF I asked him if there was a nest in the dugout.  He said, no, the bees just came in from LF and flew around inside the dugout.

There rest of the game took place with no further incidents.

• Like 1

It was an 11U tournament game.  I was BU.  I was in B.  Suddenly, the VT HC came running out of the 3B dugout yelling for time.  You may think you know where this is going, but following him was his entire team.

The VT HC took a left turn and headed out to LF.  His team scattered in all directions.

At that point I could see the swarm following the VT HC out into LF, and we called the HT players off the field.

The swarm must have come up with a new target because it eventually headed out over the LF fence.

I stayed in B the whole time, and when the VT HC came trotting back in from LF I asked him if there was a nest in the dugout.  He said, no, the bees just came in from LF and flew around inside the dugout.

They were obviously swarming, and the queen decided first to visit the dugout, then decided to move on, so they followed her.

I was BU in a men's softball game when a large rat came out from under the HT dugout and ambled to the backstop where it disappeared into a burrow. Everyone stopped and watched it as it made its way along the fence, taking its sweet time. Between innings I asked my partner why he couldn't keep the coaches off the field when they weren't on offence. For some reason it really cracked him up and it took a few minutes for him to regain his composure.

Tony

That was Ives.

• Like 2

They were obviously swarming, and the queen decided first to visit the dugout, then decided to move on, so they followed her.

Interesting!  I'd never seen that before!

My late grandfather was a beekeeper. On more than one occasion I was obligated to help him rein in one of his hives that had swarmed. I love honey, but I hate bees, lol.

My late grandfather was a beekeeper. On more than one occasion I was obligated to help him rein in one of his hives that had swarmed. I love honey, but I hate bees, lol.

How do you rein in a swarm?  Given you description of what happened on the field, it seems they just follow the queen.  Do you somehow get the queen to return?

Saturday I was doing a LL playoff game. Batter swings at a pitch and drives the ball down into the plate. Ball skies up in the air, then comes down and donks the BR right in the top of the helmet as he is running up the line in fair territory about halfway to first. The look of utter confusion on his face as he tried to figure out what happened was classic. Same game we had feathers coming down around home plate for most of the second half of the game-something was eating a bird in one of the trees around the field. As close as we get to snow here on the coast. :-)

It wasn't in a game I was doing, but I heard about it over the weekend.  7-9 year old game.  Left fielder pacing back and forth, fidgeting, legs crossed the whole works, he had to pee.  Next thing you know he turns around to face the fence, whips it out and pees in the outfield... 

It wasn't in a game I was doing, but I heard about it over the weekend.  7-9 year old game.  Left fielder pacing back and forth, fidgeting, legs crossed the whole works, he had to pee.  Next thing you know he turns around to face the fence, whips it out and pees in the outfield... 

When ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go!

• Like 1

At least it was just #1

• Like 1

I was working a game with the Chief of Police of a nice size town in NJ.  I had plate.  All of a sudden some guy who is high on something starts strolling across the field while my partner is in A.  He politely asks the gentleman to get off the field.  He is ignored as the hispanic gentleman makes believe he doesn't understand.  Now my partner asks him again, only in spanish letting him know that he is the Chief.  Still no response.  Now my partner rushes towards him and the man becomes defensive as the officer grabs him in a choke hold.  Now, the man starts speaking in english. Let me go, I'll get off the field.

• Like 1

Last night I was doing a 15U game and this field was constructed in such a way that at around 8:00 the sun is directly over center field.  Literally the pitch before I decided we were going to stop a kid takes one right on the helmet.  Didn't even move.  We stopped for a 20 minute "sun delay".  

And for tonights' headlines.......Baseball Umpire puts wandering man in choke hold.  Kids traumatized.  Counseling will be available at the LL complex for any who need it.  If interested, call 1-800-BUY-FENCE.

• Like 1

I had a short delay for a squirrel on the field on Saturday.  I was in A, and noticed him shopping for seeds in the gear bags in the dugout.  Next time I looked over he had his head under the fence, coming onto the field.  I called time and pointed to the varmint (squirrel).  The first base coach(varmint) herded him away from the plate area and out toward right field and he made his way back under the fence.  Big laughs from the spectators.

At our main complex, our heaviest use field abuts a disc golf course (it is a county multi-use park).  Not uncommon to see an errant "drive" enter the outfield and a guy in his early 20's wearing shorts and no shirt on the other side of the fence sheepishly asking for time so he can retrieve his "ball".

During a tournament last summer, one of the golfers almost got taken out by a home run, I kept waiting for someone to yell "Fore!",,,

• 3 weeks later...

Not too weird, but I've had a flock of turkeys cross the outfield (RFL to about dead center) during a game; they took their time but eventually they were far enough out to re-start.

I was working a game in a fairly 'high class' neighborhood a couple of years ago and both me an my partner had to stop parents on both sides from setting up picnics in the outfield, near the lines.  It was a 9-10 game and the parents had obviously done this before; they were shocked and offended that we wouldn't allow them to picnic on the field and kept trying to 'sneak' back out there during the game.   I took an amazing amount of verbal crap from the parents for it, too.  Apparently, I'm an over-ambitious hard-ass.  (that's what one guy actually said!)

Very strange.  

• Like 1

We had an interesting situation this season. The track team was practicing javelin, unfortunately much too close to our outfielders. So I had to stop the game while someone informed them to move back.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not... Men's League.. No count on batter. Batter fouls pitch dowward, it bounces up, clips my left index finger, just hard enough to cause my finger to roll strike indicator wheel from 0 to 1.  True Story.

Phadnis

• Like 1

I was working the stick in a 15U game last season.  Parents were sitting in lawn/camp chairs behind the backstop from one side to the other.  One of the mothers brought a beautiful black Lab with her to watch her son's game.  The dog was well behaved in that we heard not one bark out of her.  However, she must have quickly caught on to the game of baseball because smack dab in the middle of an inning, she somehow got loose and ran from behind the backstop, around first base onto second, rounded second and headed to third, rounded third and half-way between home and third she decided that was the most appropriate place to squat and lay down a "base" of her own.  Needless to say, the entire field thought this was funny.  My partner and I, not so much.  I'm pretty sure the owner didn't see this "play" as funny as others.  If fact, she probably experienced as much embarassment as the kids experienced humor. Good thing she, the owner of the dog, came equipped with a plastice bag. After dog's owner "cleaned the plate", she received a round of applause and the game proceeded without further incident. 

A few weeks ago, I had a CF running off the field at the end of an inning. He fell up to his waist in a sink hole. We put a bucket in the hole and told the OF's to be careful and it would be a dead ball if it hit the bucket so they don't have to go near it.

A few weeks ago, I had a CF running off the field at the end of an inning. He fell up to his waist in a sink hole. We put a bucket in the hole and told the OF's to be careful and it would be a dead ball if it hit the bucket so they don't have to go near it.

Yeah.................I'd let a game keep going with a sinkhole on or near the field of play.   By the way, I have a black belt in sarcasm.