Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
stl_ump

Tie Base Goes to The Runner? Snappy comeback?

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

Sir, the word "tie" does not appear in the rulebook.  It clearly states that the runner has to beat the throw!

Coach: Blue, tie goes to the runner, right?

Me: Find it, and we'll discuss it between innings :stir  :lookup

Then you have a rulebook on the field between innings :shakehead:

No you don't ....because he won't find it because he can't find it .....re-read, ...."find it, and we'll discuss it"

It's a hypothetical guys .... the OP is asking for snappy comebacks and all the sayings are getting 'logical arguement for why NOT to say them' ..... I don't get it.........

No you don't ....because he won't find it because he can't find it .....re-read, ...."find it, and we'll discuss it"

It's a hypothetical guys .... the OP is asking for snappy comebacks and all the sayings are getting 'logical arguement for why NOT to say them' ..... I don't get it.........

Understood. BTW how do YOU handle a coach bringing a rulebook on the field?

Understood. BTW how do YOU handle a coach bringing a rulebook on the field?

This is not on topic, but I'll answer it just one time:  I don't ....I'd shut it down immediately with ONE chance to put it away

I went into the way back machine to find this post I made in 2008. It was the 594th post on the site.

The wittiest I ever got with a coach was a banger at first I called the runner out. The Asst coach in the 1st base box starts with the "a tie goes to the runner" spiel (which tells me I nailed that call). I slowly walked over to the coach and quietly told him, "They changed that rule a few years ago, coach. Now the runner has to beat the ball."

He replied, "oh, I'll have to look that one up again."

I actually stole that line from a partner who does make tounge and cheek remarks, but never anything inflammatory.

i too try not to be whitty, ive found i get myself into more trouble or it gets me no where ><

10u Rec ball game and I've got the plate and my partner is brand new (4th game ever, 15yo)

He's made a couple of calls on the field that were, shall we say, a bit dubious, but hey, he's new and it's 10u rec ball.

3rd out of the inning is one of those calls and HC starts coming out on the field to go after my partner and I jump in there and give him what for.  He ends the conversation by asking "Tie base goes to the runner right?" Oh how I wish I would have had a snappy comeback. I said no and he storms off muttering stuff... (to his credit he came over after the next half inning an apologized.)

So what snappy comeback would you have given him?

After the fact I thought I should have just stared at him with an incredulous look on my face and said "did you just ask me that? Really?"

If you're one that like to stir things up a bit (and can have a little fun with that HC)

HC: Tie goes to the runner, right?

Umpire:  For you team, or theirs? (as you motion to the opposing dugout)

After you get the deer in the headlights look, I'd then explain that the runner must BEAT the trhow, not TIE the throw.

If I were the one who called the runner out I might say, "Either the ball beats the runner or the runner beats the ball. In my judgement the ball beat the runner."

If I were the one who called the runner out I might say, "Either the ball beats the runner or the runner beats the ball. In my judgement the ball beat the runner."

I missed the "snappy comeback" part.

I missed the "snappy comeback" part.

Do you mean you want something that isn't just explaining the rules?

I went into the way back machine to find this post I made in 2008. It was the 594th post on the site.

The wittiest I ever got with a coach was a banger at first I called the runner out. The Asst coach in the 1st base box starts with the "a tie goes to the runner" spiel (which tells me I nailed that call). I slowly walked over to the coach and quietly told him, "They changed that rule a few years ago, coach. Now the runner has to beat the ball."

He replied, "oh, I'll have to look that one up again."

I actually stole that line from a partner who does make tounge and cheek remarks, but n inflammatory.

obr rule 7.08 (e) "Any runner is out when- he or the the next base is tagged BEFORE he touches the next base, after he has been forces to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner." same wording on 7.08 (d). To me, this is just my lowly interpretations, says that if the throw does not beat the runner to the base that the defense has failed to retire the runner. Therefore the hypothetical " tie" technically does go to the runner. However in going to get outs whwere I can...