Why'd you take your mask off? BOOM!

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4012 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

He took his mask off because you have a high paid baby crying about pitches. It is very simple, you yell at the umpire from the mound, the mask is coming off and it will get shut down. The catcher can mediate without getting tossed in most cases, pitcher, not so much. 

Sveum saved his pitcher. Not a bad move.

He got tossed because everyone knows you take your mask off with your LEFT hand (he used his right when imitating). :D

That is freaking HILARIOUS.

Although a lot of MLB guys (and myself sometimes) take the mask off with BOTH hands.

Sveum saved his pitcher. Not a bad move.

He got tossed because everyone knows you take your mask off with your LEFT hand (he used his right when imitating). :D

That is freaking HILARIOUS.

Although a lot of MLB guys (and myself sometimes) take the mask off with BOTH hands.

Take you mask off with BOTH hands?

Some of us spend more time watching the umpires than others. :P

When I first started on my initial umpiring quest .....my mentor at the time said ......"watch as much baseball as you can and watch what they do"

I tell students that too but always add that you can learn by seeing what not to do and even if they do something "right" that doesn't mean that you can get away with it at your level.

• Like 2

Some of us spend more time watching the umpires than others. :P

When I first started on my initial umpiring quest .....my mentor at the time said ......"watch as much baseball as you can and watch what they do"

I tell students that too but always add that you can learn by seeing what not to do and even if they do something "right" that doesn't mean that you can get away with it at your level.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO True!

I think Bob Davidson takes his off with both hands.  A lot of guys that wear buckets use both hands.  

Another reason to never use a bucket. 

I'm about 50/50 with mask and helmet and have never once used both hands for either. Can't say I've ever seen anyone else do it either.

I think Bob Davidson takes his off with both hands.  A lot of guys that wear buckets use both hands.  

Which do you mean? The fact that lots of guys use 2 hands to remove it, or that Balkin' Bob uses one? :P

I switched this year. Another MLB guy goes down in spring training with a bat to the head from a kid coming around with that 1-handed backswing. I've got a family to feed and opted to decrease the risk of a closed-head injury. YMMV

And I use 1 hand — my left hand — to remove it. ;)

• Like 1

Which do you mean? The fact that lots of guys use 2 hands to remove it, or that Balkin' Bob uses one? :P

I switched this year. Another MLB guy goes down in spring training with a bat to the head from a kid coming around with that 1-handed backswing. I've got a family to feed and opted to decrease the risk of a closed-head injury. YMMV

And I use 1 hand — my left hand — to remove it. ;)

Both :) Good stuff Maven. To be honest, I have never seen a MLB umpire use two hands to take a mask off, bucket or traditional. Everyone knows my dislike of buckets but I don't care if someone wants to use one, I will never ding a guy in an eval for wearing one. I will ding him if he doesn't handle it correctly, the same with a traditional. It also doesn't mean I won't poke fun about it. And I fully expect it in return. 

Why do you not like buckets.

I have bought 4 in the past year, one more on order now, and find them OK.

Just wondering.

Why do you not like buckets.

I have bought 4 in the past year, one more on order now, and find them OK.

Just wondering.

mstaylor explains in post #17

No he does not.

Quick trigger Jeff.

It was good enough for me! :smachhead:

Newbie BigUmpire

YOU did not ask Mike the question, I did.

Stop over moderating please.

I WASN'T MODERATING .... I misread Michael's post and thought your answer was there, nothing more, nothing less