Champion CP

24sdad
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3640 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

sdix00,

Those are some good looking you umpires!  How old were your boys when they started?  My 9 year old has already decided he wants to umpire.  He tags along with me whenever he can and is beginning to learn the rulebook.  Our high schools usually play Tuesday and Friday nights.  I can't call games for the high school a mile from my house, but my son will ride his bike over to watch my friends umpire.  He asked the UIC at our travel ball park this past weekend how soon until he can start.  He was pretty bummed when the answer was 18.  We do have local rec leagues he'll be able to start working at a younger age though.  I imagine when he starts I'll be his partner, calling some t-ball and coach pitch games that I haven't called since I was in high school.       

Thanks for the compliment.  

They are very good. They both started at 13 and are  17, and 18 (closer to two years apart).  We attend at least one clinic together every year and now that they are older, we get to work together a lot more.   It has absolutely helped to keep us tight.     Our relationship has truly grown stronger through umpiring. 

https://plus.google.com/photos/109567369306793168190/albums/5877511013333301105

• Like 1

I too have been on the hunt for the lowest profile CP with the most protection possible.  I realize this is almost an oxymoron but still, that's been my goal.  After trying a Charcoal and then a Douglas, I ordered a V-pro/sport, All-American, whatever we're calling it now a days and I love it. 

I realize this is basically the same CP as the Champion but it still has the velcro padding system.  I contacted Team Wendy last week about getting it retrofitted and they said they could.  That will be a fall project for me when I can live a few weeks without it.  I've taken some hard varsity shots and so far no damage but I want to upgrade it so I can use this as my main rig without any concerns. 

Sure it's around $30 more than the Champion, but with the TW option I think it might be worth looking into for some of you. 

@Rook23 where you get it from? Link, please.

Steve,

Took a look through your G+ photo album. Awesome pictures. Great memories for you and your boys for sure. Thanks for sharing they look very professional. Congrats to you and your family.

• Like 1

Sorry to revive this thread but I wanted to keep all the great intel on this CP on one thread. 

My boys have been using these for a year and THEY LOVE IT.    They look fantastic due to the low profile.    Cam will be working in the Prospect League this summer and I have offered to help him buy pro a pro CP but he actually wants to stick with the Champion (we will see if that lasts). 

I ordered one and wore it last Saturday for two plates in the 95 degree desert heat.    Let me say there is a HUGE difference in the HEAT factor between this Champion CP and My Platinum.   My platinum has thick, solid (Nylon?) padding that DOES NOT breathe and gets very hot underneath (I am sending it to TW, which is why I needed another CP).   However, this Champion CP was extremely well-ventilated and I could feel the desert breeze sneaking under my CP. 

Like others have said, the padding is noticeably thinner, and while I did not take a shot this weekend, I am willing to risk it for the cooling trade-off.   I am also very pleased with the way the low profile looks.

W7vmau0l.jpg

ebEMfQHl.jpg

I went to school with cam and worked with him at shreveport camp this year for a few games. He's an excellent umpire and I would gladly step on the field with him any day. 

• Like 1

I love mine. I've been hit multiple times ranging from JV down to 10 year olds and have yet to feel a thing. The JV pitcher that hit me was throwing mid 80's. No mark or bruise or anything. Love it!

JV pitcher throwing mid-80's?  Geez, ya'll must have some really good varsity pitchers!

• Like 2