Wussed out on a game ending call probably (obstruction)

GreyhoundAggie
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4001 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had a varsity game today. I had the bases. Turned into a a good ball game.

We get to bottom seven, Home Team is down by 1. They manage to tie the game and get to bases loaded with 1 out.

HT tries to squeeze, batter misses. We get a run down on R3. F2 chases him back towards 3rd. F2 throws ball towards F5, contact is made between F5 and R3. Ball drops to ground as F5 tries to catch it, and R3 makes it back to 3rd.

HC for Home team immediately points and says "That's interference". We won't get into his arguing the wrong rule, but he actually knew the rule for obstruction, he used the term "possesion of the ball".

I get together with my partner, we discuss the call, he tells me he has nothing to offer me.

I end up calling it a "nothing", and the HC for Home Team called it a "covering your ass" call.

In retrospect after the game, I have to say I think he is right. I didn't have the balls to end the game on a controversial call.

They ended up winning on a passed ball 2 pitches later.

In replaying the play afterwards, it should have been obstruction, F5 never had possession of the ball when R3 was trying to get back.

Makes me upset at myself that I wasn't willing to make the call and stand beside it, and took the easy way out because of the circumstances. I talked myself out of obstruction, and I know it in my own head that i didn't man up.

It is a definite learning moment for me, and I won't be afraid to make the call again. Make the call and own it, no matter the situation.

• Like 3

We get to bottom seven, Home Team is down by 1. They manage to tie the game and get to bases loaded with 1 out.

HT tries to squeeze, batter misses. We get a run down on R3. F2 chases him back towards 3rd. F2 throws ball towards F5, contact is made between F5 and R3. Ball drops to ground as F5 tries to catch it, and R3 makes it back to 3rd.

HC for Home team immediately points and says "That's interference". We won't get into his arguing the wrong rule, but he actually knew the rule for obstruction, he used the term "possesion of the ball".

I get together with my partner, we discuss the call, he tells me he has nothing to offer me.

I end up calling it a "nothing", and the HC for Home Team called it a "covering your ass" call.

In retrospect after the game, I have to say I think he is right. I didn't have the balls to end the game on a controversial call.

In replaying the play afterwards, it should have been obstruction, F5 never had possession of the ball when R3 was trying to get back.

Makes me upset at myself that I wasn't willing to make the call and stand beside it, and took the easy way out because of the circumstances. I talked myself out of obstruction, and I know it in my own head that i didn't man up.

It is a definite learning moment for me, and I won't be afraid to make the call again. Make the call and own it, no matter the situation.

Was F5 making a play on the ball? Was he blocking the path, but reaching for the ball?  Could it have been a trainwreck?(Trying to help here)

Either way, don't be hard on yourself. It's great you can come here and voice your second guess.  But it is what YOU said it is!  And I go your back as you walk to the car. :lol:

This ^^^, my friend, is the beginning of wisdom

This ^^^ is the fruit of said wisdom.

The lessons we never forget are the ones we learned the hard way

It's like watching a metamorphosis. The germination of an acorn into an Oak tree. Thank you VERY MUCH for posting this.

• Like 1

Don't beat yourself about it. It appears you have learned.  That's good

With experience comes the wisdom to learn from our mistakes and misfortunes.  Thank you for posting this.

There are far too many umpires who would know they missed that call and would choose to continue to ignore it, especially in that situation.  You are not that guy - good job.

Was F5 making a play on the ball? Was he blocking the path, but reaching for the ball?  Could it have been a trainwreck?(Trying to help here)

Either way, don't be hard on yourself. It's great you can come here and voice your second guess.  But it is what YOU said it is!  And I go your back as you walk to the car. :lol:

F5 was making a play on the ball yes, but it doesn't matter in FED. He has to have possesion. Only way I could have a trainwreck on this one is if he already has possesion and then the contact dislodges the ball or something.

I just wanted to vent a little where some guys understand. I think I need to recognize and take that next step to not just know the rule, but be willing to enforce it, and who cares what the coaches or fans are gonna think.

That's why they pay us the big bucks right? :fuel:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

In umpiring, good judgment comes from experience.............unfortunately that experience can come from past bad judgment.......buts it how we all learned the hard lessons..... 

i think as you gain experience, making tough calls in tough situations just become reflexive. You see it and you call it, without running the 'what if's' through your head. The key is making the correct call in the correct situation. You will probably get heat for it, but in the long run, you will gain the respect of everyone involved.