I can die now

sdix00
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3563 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My 16 year old (former catcher) has expressed an interest in umpiring this year.  Not sure he has the right temperament or maturity yet to handle coaches though, he wants to explain things and prove he's right all of the time (hey when I was 16 I owned the world too :)).  I would be proud to see him out there but would hate to see him get steamrolled by a coach.

I may get him out for our fall Cal Ripken league, that's a bit lower-key than the spring league here.  Not sure if it's good for me to be his partner on a regular basis though.

I, for one, enjoy reading about your son's games, their improvement and advancement.  Don't be shy about posting their successes!  I would imagine there exists only a handful of kids their age that have gone to Evans and represent themselves as professionally as yours do on the field.

AND...you ain't bragging - you are just a proud poppa!

Just bragging.  I promise not to do too much of it, but last night was pretty cool. 

• Like 3

KUDOS :clap: to the guys. You have every right to be proud, as do they!

Do we see pro school in the future? If I was their age and that into the job - I would have done that route in a heart beat!

KUDOS :clap: to the guys. You have every right to be proud, as do they!Do we see pro school in the future? If I was their age and that into the job - I would have done that route in a heart beat!

They went to JEUA. All it takes is seeing them during the Anthem to prove that! Plus the ics Steve posted of them with Jimmy! Lol

It's good to see your boys do well. Neither of mine has an interest in officiating. Both work with me climbing steel. It's fun to be standing on an eighty ft tower with them both. I was on a sixty ft tower with them last summer and they were arguing who got to climb the second sixty to disconnect the crane. 

Watch them as long as you can because who knows where life will land them post school. 

• Like 2

KUDOS :clap: to the guys. You have every right to be proud, as do they!

Do we see pro school in the future? If I was their age and that into the job - I would have done that route in a heart beat!

Cam, the 17 year old is going to TUS in January. 

He says working MiLB is ideal, which will make it easier for him to do higher level ball if he isn't one of the 1%.   I really truly think he can be, because he has "it".   He is very serious about not flipping burgers while in school, and umpiring gives him a great way to make student money. 

They didn't go to JEAPU, but they did go to the Desert Classic in 2011 and attend clinics regularly,  including a couple off-season clinics run by the HS Association senior guys.   Cam impressed them and they let him know it. 

I bought him "Baseball's Narrowest Door" to help set expectations, but he is still on board with TUS in January.   While we all know 30 is old for Pro-school, I think he knows that 18 is young. 

Carter, the taller, younger one, is just a sophomore and while we chat about it, it is not a serious thing yet.   I have to keep reminding myself that he is a full two years behind his brother.   

No matter what, I know pro-school will be something that they keep for life and they will benefit from forever. 

Congrats on your two fine sons. Both obviously have their heads on straight and that's a tribute to you and your wife as well. 

On another note, That's one big boy on the hill for a 50/70 league! WOW. 

Great story to share Steve.  I was lucky enough to get to umpire with my son for two summers when he was in college and needed the money.  He was a natural.  Played College football (DIII) so he looked athletic just standing still.  I worked 3 man with him and one of my best umpiring friends at a Legion Regional Tourney.  I was U1, son was U3 and Harvey was UIC.   Son was in C with R1 and a ground ball in the infield.  R1 violated the FPSR and took out the shortstop while trying to turn a DP.  The slide was also malicious.  Son pointed, That's Interference.  Called time, called out R1 and BR, gave the ejection signal for R1 then turned back to infield.  Offensive Head Coach ran into the infield and got in my son's face.  Son, backed up and pointed to the slide mark then ejected the coach.  BR came running at him from 1B area and threw helmet onto ground.  Son got EJ #3 all in about thirty seconds.  I got some dugout guys for throwing equipment out onto the field and an assistant coach for leaving the coaches box and heading into the infield.  UIC got the on deck batter for throwing a bat and helmet and cursing/arguing and going into the infield.  We got them down to 8 players and one assistant coach.   I was a proud papa that night.  Who gets to work with their boy, watch him get his first, second and third EJ's all in about thirty seconds.  Crazy!  He doesn't umpire anymore.  Says he can't stand all the coaches and fans acting crazy.  Which is what you get in summer ball sometimes.  He worked HS for 2 years n Louisville, KY and never had an EJ or an argument.  Just in summer ball.

Do you ever get to work with them?  Both in a 3 man crew?  That would be really cool.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We got to work as a crew this post season.    Dream come true. 

https://plus.google.com/photos/109567369306793168190/albums/5901779541694314657

We had a blast.  U3 in this album was a brand new umpire with about six games under his belt before he joined our crew.   We whipped him in to shape pretty quick and he had a good attitude which allowed him to learn quickly. 

Cam and Carter did most of the plates and I hung out in the U3 rocking chair for most of the post season.   Man they looked good.   

100_0145.JPG100_0069.JPG100_0023.JPG

• Like 3

Since we are on the topic of our kids. I was cleaning my gear and sorting out my equipment the other day and my 2 1/2 year old daughter comes up to me with my mask on and says "Dad BASEBALL" probably the best moment this year for me as a father.

post-2432-0-41461900-1374154822_thumb.jp

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

So Cam was hired by the Prospect League, a Collegiate Summer Wood Bat League.   The Prospect League is one of nine CSWB leagues tracked by Baseball America.   I listen to his games on the local radio stations online.     He flew out in May and finished his Freshman classes from the road.  Three 'A's and a 'B'. 

I must say, I am over the moon.    

A couple clips from the local news stations:

Cam on the plate in Terre Haute. 

http---makeagif.com--media-6-17-2014-erm         

Cam on the bases in Springfield, OH. 

http---makeagif.com--media-6-17-2014-zPs

His first game - in 2009.

_p1_100_0524.jpg

I don't even know what to say. 

• Like 2