World Baseball Classic

SnareDrum
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4027 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

The games. Team USA's issues.  Umpire's calls. Umpire's shoes. The nasty bench clearing brawl between Canada and Mexico. Italy... Netherlands.. Who ya' got for winning it all? Here's the thread for all things WBC! Let's roll!

About the brawl, lot's of ejections about to happen. It got out of control fast!

Unfortunately a hockey game seemed to have broken out during this Canada mexico match... Props to the umpires to how they handled the entire situation.  Both teams behaved in a very immature way,  and as much as the intentional throwing at the batter was a brain dead move by the mexicans, the canadians acted in an equally idiotic manner by clearing the bench and fighting back (lets hear it for the hockey culture at work!) in what was a pretty tense situation exacerbated by the (mexican) fans throwing stuff on the field at players after the fact. I was totally unsurprised to hear the announcement over the PA warning the fans that the game would be forfeit if the antics continued.  Again, I have nothing but the utmost of respect (and even may have learned a thing or two) in dealing with such a situation and regaining control of the match the way this crew did.

So what from what they showed... In the format, runs matter. With a 6 run lead B1 for Canada bunts his way on. F5 casually picks up the ball , and as he tosses it to F1, F5 tells F1 to drill the next batter. F1 promptly does so. Benches clear and a hockey game breaks out.

Yeah, ump_24... 57 dropped his gloves and knew how to handle the business.

Puerto Rico vs. Venezuela on now. I've been looking forward to this one!   Home game for PR, and it's win-or-go-home for VEN with Zambrano on the hill. Maybe just a little passion in this one? Top 4 and Zambrano's already going off on the PU.

Gorman shouldve dumped F1 after the 2nd pitch inside instead of issuing warnings. It was obvious what was happening and why. Under the WBC format, runs matter so protocol goes out the window. Any other game, nobody bats an eyelash at that batter getting thrown at.

Also, great call by Eddy H on keeping the PR guy in the box.

Nice call by the ump on the peurto rico/venezuela game calling the batter back for moving into the pitch.  Speaking with some national pride here.... I almost feel bad for the people of mexican descent who were ejected from the park and subsequently arrested in arizona....  almost

• Like 1

Think there will be any repercussions for the teams? If this were the Olympics, both teams would probably be kicked to the curb and told to go home by the IOC, giving the US a free ride by forfeit.

This isn't the Olympics though, so it'll be interesting to see if there is a responce made.

I don't know if there are any mandatory suspensions following EJ's, but whether there are or aren't, methinks there will some anyway.  

Yep, Hickox did a great job on Molina sticking that elbow out. Also,  I've seen all of the crews showing restraint on some of the "antics" by the players and coaches.... like that Cuban coach and the gloves the other night.

• Like 1

From Gil over at UEFL:

*Following the game, crew chief and UIC Brian Gorman (USA/MLB) reported the following ejections:
1) Mexico pitcher Arnold Leon;
2) Mexico Manager Rick Renteria [warnings previously issued; Rule 8.02(d)];
3) Mexico pitcher Alfredo Aceves;
4) Mexico center fielder Eduardo Arredondo;
5) Mexico pitcher Oliver Perez; for a total of five Mexico players and coaches.
6) Canada left fielder Rene Tosoni;
7) Canada pitcher Jay Johnson;
8) Canada second baseman Pete Orr; for a total of three Canada players and eight overall ejections.

*These eight ejections are an International Baseball and WBC record.

The story: Close Call Sports: World Baseball Classic Ejections: Brian Gorman (1 - 8)

and Canada's pivotal win marred by late fracas | MLB.com: News

If you missed it, catch SportsCenter later, or just search "WBC brawl" on YouTube. There's already close to a dozen clips up.

Now tensions rising on a very ordinary tag play in the Puerto Rico-Venezuela game. Sheesh!

----------------------------

Tensions will probably get higher. BIG game. Don't know why BR was so amped though...

Batter-Runner should have been tossed for that helmet spike and then should have been tossed again for continuing to moan while taking the field... They're really going the extra mile to keep these guys in the game.

--------------------------------

Blue finally told him to knock it off, though. I've been seeing that for the whole tournament. LOTS of restraint and calmness from the crews in all of the Pools.

The brawl got nasty because Mexico tried to cheap shot a bunch of former hockey players. I'd guess that 57 from Canada threw down on the ice once or twice.

What was the cheap shot?

Batter-Runner should have been tossed for that helmet spike and then should have been tossed again for continuing to moan while taking the field... They're really going the extra mile to keep these guys in the game.

When it happened, I looked at my brother and said, well he's gonna get tossed. I was suprised he let it go and even more suprised when he didn't get dumped on the exchange as he took his position after the half.

Well that sets up the USA vs. Canada showdown in the elimination game to see who goes to the second round in Miami. Game time is 4:00 EDT Sunday.  With all due respect to my brothers in blue up in the Great White North... I really don't want to get eliminated by Canada.

It'll be Derek Holland of the Rangers for Team USA up against some kid from AA for Canada.  

Win or go home... or back to Spring Training.

According to MLBN, if USA loses tomorrow, they will finish last in the pool, and according to WBC rules, will have to re-qualify before the 2017 Classic.

They really need to make this opening round a double round robin... One game shouldn't determine whether a team finishes in first or last place in the pool, especially with the implications of the next Classic added on.

The brawl got nasty because Mexico tried to cheap shot a bunch of former hockey players. I'd guess that 57 from Canada threw down on the ice once or twice.

What was the cheap shot?

I would say after trying to hit the batter twice before and getting warned by the ump, yes, that would qualify as a cheap shot.  Sad but true, run differential matters in this tourney so teams are going to do things they would normally never do, for example bunt in the 9th with a several run lead.  Don't like the rules, don't play the game