Varsity - your association's policy?

grayhawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4060 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

From reading different threads on the site, it appears that there is a wide range of policies regarding when an official is allowed to work varsity.  I'd be curious to know how your association handles it.

WIthout accounting for special circumstances (transfer from another unit, pro school graduate, etc), it generally works this way:

If you are able to demonstrate proficiency, then you are able to move up.  If you don't then you won't.  Assuming that an umpire has demonstrated proficiency and improvement, the path is:

1st year: Freshman and frosh/soph (F/S) games only.

2nd year: Start getting JV games mixed in with freshman and F/S.

3rd year: Mostly JV.

4th year: Mostly JV, with some small school varsity as well.

5th year: Small school varsity and some larger school varsity.

There are exceptions to each of these, but that is a typical path.  Some third year guys will get some small school varsity and some 5th year + guys are still working freshman games.  You may get noticed as a promising umpire and work some better games, or you may get noticed as a crappy umpire and not move up.  It's far from a perfect system, but the association is working hard to get as many evaluations done as possible with limited resources.

ALL games below varsity are one man games.  In many cases, the player skill level in small school varsity is much worse than JV (or even freshman) in larger schools (but at least they're two man games).

So, how does it work in your association?

First year you are what is called a probate: typically modified (7th and 8th grade) and freshman. After the season you will move up to an associate member. You need a minimum two years at this level. Mix in jv with modified and freshman. Everything is two man.

How can someone truly learn and get better in the system if you aren't using it?

In order to move to certified status you need to have evaluations, board approval and pass the closed book nfhs test with an 85. Once you are on the certified list depending on how good the umpire is determines what kind of varsity games they get and how much. It's all pretty subjective.

Everyone in the group does every level there isn't a guy in the group that isn't going to do a modified game during the year. It's nice to work with the newer guys and teach them. I believe it creates more of a brotherhood.

Down the shore, it works like this:

Cadet year - sub-varsity, closed book test; class work (10);Mechanics clinic (state run)

year 1 - now a member - sub varsity only, open book test (same as vets)

year 2 - same as year 1

year 3 along with your 2 years service, you must have worked 40 games (SB or BB, doesn't matter) and attended the aforementioned mechanics clinic...at this point you are eligible for varsity assignments.

In the fall the schools are solicited to submit a list of preferred umpires (25) for each sport.  Assignments are done off the list.  You can work 2 home regular season games for any school.  County & Conference tournaments are also taken off the lists.

From reading different threads on the site, it appears that there is a wide range of policies regarding when an official is allowed to work varsity.  I'd be curious to know how your association handles it.

WIthout accounting for special circumstances (transfer from another unit, pro school graduate, etc), it generally works this way:

If you are able to demonstrate proficiency, then you are able to move up.  If you don't then you won't.  Assuming that an umpire has demonstrated proficiency and improvement, the path is:

There are exceptions to each of these, but that is a typical path.  Some third year guys will get some small school varsity and some 5th year + guys are still working freshman games.  You may get noticed as a promising umpire and work some better games, or you may get noticed as a crappy umpire and not move up.  It's far from a perfect system, but the association is working hard to get as many evaluations done as possible with limited resources.

ALL games below varsity are one man games.  In many cases, the player skill level in small school varsity is much worse than JV (or even freshman) in larger schools (but at least they're two man games).

So no matter an umpire's background, in his first year, he's working freshman/soph games?

• Like 1

So no matter an umpire's background, in his first year, he's working freshman/soph games?

No, that's what I meant about special circumstances.  If someone transfers in from another association, or if they have other HS (or above) experience, or maybe a pro school graduate, then they wouldn't have to start at the bottom.

All 2-man here

It depends on the Umpire and what he shows at the try-outs

My 1st year a mixture of Middle School, JV and Varsity

My 2nd Year Mostly Varsity, Some JV and 2 MS

My 3rd Year (Current year) Mostly better Varsity and JV games

Of course there are FHSAA requirements and Rankings as well.

I will add that all officials must meet minimum requirements:

Attend General session and 6 classroom meetings (about 18 hours)

Pass the online, open-book study guide exam

Pass the closed book in-class qualification exam (80%)

Provide proof of insurance

Attend one approved mechanics clinic

To be eligible for playoffs, an official must meet the above, be varsity rated (not small school), work a minimum of 9 varsity games and have no unexcused game no-shows.

I applaud and am extremely jealous of what some of you guys are involved with, in your region. 

Here in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota, it's been a mess.  Other than the bare minimum that the states require for certification, all you have to do is get in good with the guys who get the schedules from the schools.  The schools and the A.D.'s and the coaches simply don't care about umpire quality.  They just want two umpires to show up to each of their games.  Maybe some of it has to do with Iowa being so ridiculous and having their high school baseball season in the summer (May 20-July 11), unlike everyone else in the country.  In the summertime, few people come to the games and with such a compact window to get the regular season played, when you have another game in 24-48 hours, you forget how good or bad an umpire was, and move on. 

There has not been a (baseball) umpire association in this area.  Schools just give their schedules to whomever asked for them (or pestered them enough) that would fill the dates for them, saving the A.D. the hassle of doing it.  Every year, a couple of guys compile at least a dozen school's baseball schedules and invite umpires to meet with them and then divvy out the dates.  It doesn't matter if you are a rookie, experienced, etc...you show up and you have the opportunity of filling your slate.  One of the main "assigners" in the area (away from the ballfield) works part-time as a paperboy and part-time at a radio station.  He assigns umpires for approximately three dozen schools/teams (varying in levels from youth ball to small college) in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota and he openly admits that he only umpires for the $$$.  He loads up his calendar first and moves on to others from there. 

For years, myself and a handful of others have been astounded by how little people care about having a quality umpire.  But we understood how the game worked around these parts and took care of ourselves...getting in good with that main assigner (and accepting the scraps he left for everyone) and trying to find our own assigning jobs at nearby schools that had A.D.'s willing to give away their schedules.  But I (and a few others) have decided that it's time we gave back to our profession and not just be "independent contractors" who are all about the money.

A couple of guys decided it was time to start an association, which kicked off just this month.  We know that there are umpires around this region that want to improve their skills, that want and are willing to spend more time on rules instruction and mechanics training than what embarrassingly little that the state associations provide.  Even knowing that at this point it's purely to appease ourselves in our efforts to be the best we can be, it's a start.  It's very much in it's infant stages, but the Siouxland Umpires Association (www.siouxlandumpires.org ) has sprouted up (shameless plug, ha).  We have a simple website & message board & hope to improve the umpiring in the area, whether it's Little League or small college ball.  Our focus at this point is to encourage those that want to improve, to join.  If they go thru mechanics and rules instruction (along with a small dues payment), we have assigners in our association who will give priority in their assigning to those that make more than the minimum effort.  Eventually we plan to advertise what we have (to local schools & A.D's) and hope that they realize that it's better to have umpires that are giving the extra effort, rather than just two warm bodies each game.

We can only hope that we'll get to a point where your associations are right now.  It's great to hear what you guys have and it's even better to have a meetingplace like www.umpire-empire.com .  This website alone can make an umpire considerably better, just by learning the tools of the trade from those that frequent this place.  :D

• Like 3

In my area, the associations do not assign.  It's run by assigners which have different zones within the state.  You can get assigned without being a member of an association.  I know of at least one individual that does this and there are probably more.  However, you are supposed to be a member of an approved association to get assigned to the state tournament, regional level and beyond.  I work with three different assigners.  The associations are only used for meetings and such.  In the summer, you are pretty much on your own to get games.  We only have baseball meetings in the early spring.  After that, none until the next spring.

I applaud and am extremely jealous of what some of you guys are involved with, in your region. Here in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota, it's been a mess. Other than the bare minimum that the states require for certification, all you have to do is get in good with the guys who get the schedules from the schools. The schools and the A.D.'s and the coaches simply don't care about umpire quality. They just want two umpires to show up to each of their games. Maybe some of it has to do with Iowa being so ridiculous and having their high school baseball season in the summer (May 20-July 11), unlike everyone else in the country. In the summertime, few people come to the games and with such a compact window to get the regular season played, when you have another game in 24-48 hours, you forget how good or bad an umpire was, and move on. There has not been a (baseball) umpire association in this area. Schools just give their schedules to whomever asked for them (or pestered them enough) that would fill the dates for them, saving the A.D. the hassle of doing it. Every year, a couple of guys compile at least a dozen school's baseball schedules and invite umpires to meet with them and then divvy out the dates. It doesn't matter if you are a rookie, experienced, etc...you show up and you have the opportunity of filling your slate. One of the main "assigners" in the area (away from the ballfield) works part-time as a paperboy and part-time at a radio station. He assigns umpires for approximately three dozen schools/teams (varying in levels from youth ball to small college) in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota and he openly admits that he only umpires for the $$$. He loads up his calendar first and moves on to others from there. For years, myself and a handful of others have been astounded by how little people care about having a quality umpire. But we understood how the game worked around these parts and took care of ourselves...getting in good with that main assigner (and accepting the scraps he left for everyone) and trying to find our own assigning jobs at nearby schools that had A.D.'s willing to give away their schedules.

THIS IS CRIMINAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I (and a few others) have decided that it's time we gave back to our profession and not just be "independent contractors" who are all about the money. A couple of guys decided it was time to start an association, which kicked off just this month. We know that there are umpires around this region that want to improve their skills, that want and are willing to spend more time on rules instruction and mechanics training than what embarrassingly little that the state associations provide. Even knowing that at this point it's purely to appease ourselves in our efforts to be the best we can be, it's a start. It's very much in it's infant stages, but the Siouxland Umpires Association (www.siouxlandumpires.org ) has sprouted up (shameless plug, ha). We have a simple website & message board & hope to improve the umpiring in the area, whether it's Little League or small college ball. Our focus at this point is to encourage those that want to improve, to join. If they go thru mechanics and rules instruction (along with a small dues payment), we have assigners in our association who will give priority in their assigning to those that make more than the minimum effort. Eventually we plan to advertise what we have (to local schools & A.D's) and hope that they realize that it's better to have umpires that are giving the extra effort, rather than just two warm bodies each game.

GOOD FOR YOU :clap: :clap: :clap:

We can only hope that we'll get to a point where your associations are right now. It's great to hear what you guys have and it's even better to have a meetingplace like www.umpire-empire.com . This website alone can make an umpire considerably better, just by learning the tools of the trade from those that frequent this place. :D

You're welcome :rock:givebeer::cheers:

Where I live, there is just a dire shortage of officials.  I was able to work a few varsity games in very first year, well before I should have been working that level.  It is not unheard of at all for brand new officials to work varsity games here.  Not that it is an ideal situation, but it is what it is.  It does have the added benefit of getting people some quality experience early on, which is a plus in most cases.  Not all of them, obviously.

We also have no formal on-field evaluations.  The newer guys they will try to put with a vet that they trust at some point to give the assignor some feedback.  We have optional meetings that are not required.  They encourage the new guys to go and I think many of them do.  There are no test or clinic requirements beyond what the state association requires.

According to the website you work 3 different states. So do you get certified in each one?

I live in one of those states, and the answer is yes.  Some of them have reciprocity agreements whereby if you meet the registration requirements of one state, they will also give you a license in the other, pending payment of the fee.  In other words, I don't think you have to take tests and go to rules meetings in every state that you're registered, but I could be wrong.

Edit: from the state of Iowa high school officials handbook:

IOWA OFFICIALS RECIPROCITY AGREEMENT WITH BORDERING STATES 
Iowa officials desiring to work in Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wisconsin are to contact 
those state association offices directly. If you are currently registered to work a given sport in Iowa you are automatically 
able to work those sports in the above mentioned states after you have sent your registration fee along with a 
registration form to the state in which you desire to work. If you desire to officiate in Illinois, you must contact their 
state association directly and pay full fees to their office. Your Iowa registration will no longer transfer to 
Illinois.  

According to the website you work 3 different states. So do you get certified in each one?

Yep, it's interesting.  Obviously, get registered in Iowa, for NFHS, that's $45.  In South Dakota, it's $30 but their registration covers all organized baseball (spring fed high school,  summer American Legion, Amateur ball).  In Nebraska, it's $35 to get certified for their summer American Legion ball.  If you're wanting to work their spring fed high school ball, you can either pay the $15 reciprocity amount OR if you want any chance at post-season ball there, rumor has it that you have to pay the full in-state registration amount of $45.  

Our association has levels and you can be moved up or down by the baseball committee's vote based on your performance and evaluations.

Level 6: Small ball rec games maybe as high as a Pony level (12-13 y/o I think)

Level 5: Still small ball rec, but you will get some middle school games and maybe some JV

Level 4: These still work a ton of rec, but also are the core of our JV staff, may get a varsity every once and a while

Level 3: Less Rec, Primarily Varsity, better level 3s can get Varsity post-season

Level 2a: Even less rec, Sr level varsity guys, post season and may get assigned college non-conference games.

Level 2: Work college conference games below D-I and possibly D-I non-conference. Also get a good varsity schedule.

Level 1: D-I Conference games and everything below. 

I am in the same assoc as grayhawk  , what an eye opener as to how different regions in the country administer umpires . So my question is what are the gm fees for HS for those that have posted , sounds like majority are 2 man regardless of HS level ? In our assoc all HS gms are solo except varsity , and we also have a league of private HS that will pay for 3 man , because they can afford it and want better officiating crews . the majority of gms in this private HS league are worked by college level crews or veteran  HS crews only . In our assoc $74.00 for solo gms , 2 man crews get $73.00 ea. I believe , and we all have to pay an assignor fee of $3.00 per gm . All assignments come through arbiter , most of us will get about 18-20 gms per season at the most . Our assoc has about 240 members .

Marc

If he can ump, he can ump and they should be able to do the highest games if he is ready. This waiting crap is mainly a way for the guys who have been in the association longer to maintain their status. At one point in our association, you had to wait two years to get varsity ball. BS! Tell me why a guy coming from the minor leagues should have to go through two years of probation? I realize that there are older officials who have been umpiring for say, 25 years. Doesn't mean they have been doing it correctly for 25 years. Too much good old boys club involved with the probation issue. Don't hold them back because they haven't been in your association. At one point we had guys held back who could umpire circles around the officials who were in the association for a long period. But, you probably get my point. I am now the president and I want nothing more than for my jr guys to get good fast. Even to the point that I convinced a college association instructor to take on the instructor position in the local high school association.

I applaud and am extremely jealous of what some of you guys are involved with, in your region. 

Here in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota, it's been a mess.  Other than the bare minimum that the states require for certification, all you have to do is get in good with the guys who get the schedules from the schools.  The schools and the A.D.'s and the coaches simply don't care about umpire quality.  They just want two umpires to show up to each of their games.  Maybe some of it has to do with Iowa being so ridiculous and having their high school baseball season in the summer (May 20-July 11), unlike everyone else in the country.  In the summertime, few people come to the games and with such a compact window to get the regular season played, when you have another game in 24-48 hours, you forget how good or bad an umpire was, and move on. 

There has not been a (baseball) umpire association in this area.  Schools just give their schedules to whomever asked for them (or pestered them enough) that would fill the dates for them, saving the A.D. the hassle of doing it.  Every year, a couple of guys compile at least a dozen school's baseball schedules and invite umpires to meet with them and then divvy out the dates.  It doesn't matter if you are a rookie, experienced, etc...you show up and you have the opportunity of filling your slate.  One of the main "assigners" in the area (away from the ballfield) works part-time as a paperboy and part-time at a radio station.  He assigns umpires for approximately three dozen schools/teams (varying in levels from youth ball to small college) in Northwest Iowa & Southeast South Dakota and he openly admits that he only umpires for the $$$.  He loads up his calendar first and moves on to others from there. 

For years, myself and a handful of others have been astounded by how little people care about having a quality umpire.  But we understood how the game worked around these parts and took care of ourselves...getting in good with that main assigner (and accepting the scraps he left for everyone) and trying to find our own assigning jobs at nearby schools that had A.D.'s willing to give away their schedules.  But I (and a few others) have decided that it's time we gave back to our profession and not just be "independent contractors" who are all about the money.

A couple of guys decided it was time to start an association, which kicked off just this month.  We know that there are umpires around this region that want to improve their skills, that want and are willing to spend more time on rules instruction and mechanics training than what embarrassingly little that the state associations provide.  Even knowing that at this point it's purely to appease ourselves in our efforts to be the best we can be, it's a start.  It's very much in it's infant stages, but the Siouxland Umpires Association (www.siouxlandumpires.org ) has sprouted up (shameless plug, ha).  We have a simple website & message board & hope to improve the umpiring in the area, whether it's Little League or small college ball.  Our focus at this point is to encourage those that want to improve, to join.  If they go thru mechanics and rules instruction (along with a small dues payment), we have assigners in our association who will give priority in their assigning to those that make more than the minimum effort.  Eventually we plan to advertise what we have (to local schools & A.D's) and hope that they realize that it's better to have umpires that are giving the extra effort, rather than just two warm bodies each game.

We can only hope that we'll get to a point where your associations are right now.  It's great to hear what you guys have and it's even better to have a meetingplace like www.umpire-empire.com .  This website alone can make an umpire considerably better, just by learning the tools of the trade from those that frequent this place.  :D

I would make it a point to personally recruit the better umpires in your area, not the most experienced ones. I would have a butt ton of training on mechanics, not just rules. Stress how it is the individual umpires responsibility to learn the rules. I think it better to teach them how to umpire than to make them rule book lawyers. Then start cultivating the AD's in your area and let them know about your product. Be strict with the members at meeting. They are there to learn, not have a bunch of sidebars. I try to make it to where the members want to participate in the meetings. We find it better to separate the so called legends in their own minds from the younger, inexperienced umpires so that they can have a learning experience.

Everything at the high school level around here is 2 man, until you get pretty far into the postseason.  JV and freshmen are all 2 man.  The state even threw a fit last year because some areas were going 1 man either to save money and/or because they just couldn't find enough officials to have 2 for every game.  Junior high/middle school is about a 50/50 split on whether they will use one umpire or 2.

Those of you working 1 man games, where do you stand?  Behind the plate or behind the pitcher?  Behind the pitcher is like stealing money and also a pretty damned good spot to call the game.  I would absolutely refuse to work behind the plate in a 1 man game.