Honig's Thermal Jacket

FranklinT
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3311 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Our college association went with the Smitty's brand therma base last year and it's fantastic.  I own a majestic (a MLB team not ump) also and there is virtually no difference.  Great for the northeast.  So much better than fifty layers and your pullover.  Love it.

• Like 1

Anybody have any experience with this?

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Item=1542&Sub=42

Looks like the Majestic.  If it's anything like that, it'll be the best cold weather jacket you'll own.  

I agree. Last year was the first year I owned a Majestic and it's the first year I didn't get cold at all. I should have bought it much sooner.

Partner had one last weekend.  Compared with my Majestic from Ump-Attire.  No significant differences.  Nice looking jacket.  He said he was warm.  We had winds constant at 20-25 and some gusts upwards of 30-40 mph.

If I didn't already have the Majestic I would buy the Honig's thermal without reservation.  If you have the $20 NCAA gift certificate the Honig's is a VERY good deal.

My two cents.... YMMV.

DCT

I really like mine as well. I did get trapped in it in a tourmament game last season. It was really cold when the game started (8 am), but warmed rapidly. Gotta love TX weather. All I wore was a Nike Pro Combat Hyper Warm LS mock and my therma base. I was sweating pretty good by the end of the game.

Great Jacket.

I really like mine as well. I did get trapped in it in a tourmament game last season. It was really cold when the game started (8 am), but warmed rapidly. Gotta love TX weather. All I wore was a Nike Pro Combat Hyper Warm LS mock and my therma base. I was sweating pretty good by the end of the game. Great Jacket.

Dress for the END of the game.
  • Like 2

I really like mine as well. I did get trapped in it in a tourmament game last season. It was really cold when the game started (8 am), but warmed rapidly. Gotta love TX weather. All I wore was a Nike Pro Combat Hyper Warm LS mock and my therma base. I was sweating pretty good by the end of the game. Great Jacket.

Dress for the END of the game.

Lesson learned...It is probably the only time I have ever worn a Cold gear type shirt under that jacket.

• Like 1

At first I scoffed at the idea of wearing one here but now I'm thinking maybe having one to fight back the biting wind we've been having here lately.

I am from TX as well and it is a great jacket to have during scrimmages and the Tournament weekends early in the High School season. It stops the wind better than any umpire jacket I own. I also usually pull mine out again in the fall if I have some College fall ball that goes late into the evening.

You will not regret the purchase....I own the Majestic.

• 2 years later...

How's the fit on the Honig's version?  I wear a large in the pullover K17 jacket but I'm the size where I'm always borderline L/XL (6'1 200 lb).  Is the XL probably too spacious?  I work in the upper midwest and windchills in the 20's are not uncommon so there would be times where I'd wear a couple layers underneath as well.

Honig's and Ump-attire.com both list a Majestic Therma Base jacket for sale.   $100 and $90 respectively. Although Honig's has their Therma Base noted as discontinued.  Both sites also have a Majestic Double Climate which I guess it the replacement.  It includes the Therma Base fleece inside according to the descriptions.

Honig's brand of Therma Base is $70.  I did not detect any visible differences between my various partner's Honig's brand jackets and my Majestics.   I bought the Majestics as soon as they were available in 2011.  Honig's and Smitty took almost a year I think to release their versions of the Therma Base after Majestic made it available to umpires.  I bought a Boston Red Sox Therma Base for myself and one each for my kids during a trip to Boston in September 2010.  It gets cold there as some of you know.

• Like 1